PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof Removal

wrankin
06-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Hey gang,

I am planning on beginning the process of removing the opening mechanism and bolting down the sunroof on my (hopefully future ITS) 2nd Gen RX-7. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on the best way to secure the roof shell in the opening? I have seen external straps used, but I understand there are alternate methods that don't require straps.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

-bill

lateapex911
06-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Most guys remove every last bit of "stuff", including gutters, and extra sheet metal. Then they get thin metal, and rivit or weld it in place. Their idea is to have as little weight up there as possible.

An alternative is to remove much of the guts, then use the existing sunroof skin/body, and weld 4 threaded studs to it. Dril hiles in the surround/gutter where the studs line up, and then use washers/nuts to hold it in place. Silicone the stud holes if you're concerned about leakage. This way, it is removable for work on the car but it weighs more.

Better yet, hit a few races and see what others have done.

Chris Wire
06-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Since the factory panel fits the opening perfectly, and has these convenient studs already mounted to it, I just used the existing panel. I took 2 pieces of 1.5" strap steel and welded it across the opening of the sunroof, in line with the studs. Prior to the welding though, I located and drilled all of the mounting holes, lining them up to the studs on the panel. Now when I want to install the panel, it drops right in to the holes and tightens up with 6 nuts. I left the rubber on the sunroof panel to keep the opening water tight.

Pretty easy actually.

Sorry I don't have pics.

Chris Wire
06-28-2006, 10:29 PM
Whaddya know, I found a pic. Didn't remember taking it, but I hope it helps.

Thanks to Fred at bodyshop.com for the welding. He inspired me to go buy my very own welder!