PDA

View Full Version : Joey Hands wild ride...

lateapex911
06-26-2006, 02:13 PM
I'm sure you've all seen the aerobatics performed by the BMW M3 of Joey Hand when he was "turned" on the straight at Mid Ohio, and got launched as he traversed teh infield grass. Here's a comment he made:

When it was all said and done, I came to a stop upside down. I was still in the seat, and the first thing I noticed was my right shoe was off. I blew my right shoe off and my right glove somehow. I unbuckled myself and fell down out of the car onto the roof. There was fuel running down my back and into the roof of the car, and oil and stuff. The corner workers were yelling to get out of the car because it was going to catch fire, and I couldn't get out because my HANS device was stuck in the window net, and the window was smaller than normal.[/b]

heres the video:

http://www.speedtv.com/video_player/index.php?video=110482

Obviously the upside is that he would have been in much more trouble had he been less protected. But...the standout issue, in my book, is what was the launching ramp Mid Ohio has going there???

Bill Miller
06-26-2006, 02:30 PM
I'm sure you've all seen the aerobatics performed by the BMW M3 of Joey Hand when he was "turned" on the straight at Mid Ohio, and got launched as he traversed teh infield grass. Here's a comment he made:
heres the video:

http://www.speedtv.com/video_player/index.php?video=110482
[/b]

John Weisberg called me while I was driving back from Summit Point to tell me about this. He was out there for the Pro Miata race, and said they were standing ~100 yds from the incident. It was ugly to say the least. Really glad Joey Hand wasn't seriously injured. Not even going to get into the other 'spin' on this one.

charrbq
06-26-2006, 02:58 PM
It's never been an issue with me that safety devices can go towards the dark side of safety. There are countless stories of people that were trapped in there seat belts or messed up by air bags, etc. The only way to prevent things from going wrong is to prevent accidents. Seeing that as an extremely doubtful solution...safety devices aren't perfect, but the alternative is usually way more severe. Think what would've happened to his head and neck if the HANS hadn't been in place! That was one of the most violent rollovers/flips I've ever witnessed...particularly to see him "walk away".

Anyone who's ever seen pictures of Jim Hall being dragged from his car, driver's suit soaked in fuel, two broken legs, car bursting into flames and following the path to Hall's suit knows that fire is our greatest fear in racing. Not being able to get out of your car due to the interference of safety devices is frightening. I haven't been convinced that the HANS is perfect, but it's a step in the right direction.

As to why the earthen ramp was there...I can't imagine the oversite that allowed it remain. An accident might not have been avoided, but it's severity would've certainly been reduced with the application of a grader blade.

JamesB
06-26-2006, 03:32 PM
Thats where the new crossover road is. I agree that grade has no use being there, but I wonder if it passed oversight since that isnt a typical impact zone for the corner. But aparently once your bumped and make an inside excusion your in great danger.

I have a feeling that mid-ohio might change that now.

Z3_GoCar
06-26-2006, 03:53 PM
I've meet Joey when I was Karting. He was running a yamaha pipe class and was a class driver. I'm really glad he came through that with out any major injuries.

James

gsbaker
06-26-2006, 04:08 PM
"I got out of the hospital at about 1:00 in the morning and went straight to Steak 'n Shake and got myself a chocolate shake and a double Steak 'n Shake burger with fries and chili."

My kinda guy.

charrbq
06-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Oh, the sweet joy of youth! They bend and frequently don't break...they get sick and get well almost within the same moment...they get scrambled, folded, bent, and mutilated, and they order a steak burger and a shake. I can still remember those moments, but the memory fades.

Seriously...glad he's okay after such a horrible crash.

Bill Miller
06-27-2006, 01:43 PM
"I got out of the hospital at about 1:00 in the morning and went straight to Steak 'n Shake and got myself a chocolate shake and a double Steak 'n Shake burger with fries and chili."

My kinda guy.
[/b]

Damn, that's one of the things I miss about living in Ohio. I haven't had a Steak 'n Shake burger in years. They had the skinniest fries I ever saw!

zracre
06-27-2006, 01:49 PM
I did the end-over-end thing a few years back at RA (5 rolls front to back)...everyone who saw it thought I should be dead...the wierd thing was I was not hurt at all...when a car goes over like that it seems to take away alot of the hard impacts and turns them into small ones...its the hard impacts into immovable objects that hurt...like they say its not the fall that kills ya its the fast stop that does it!

Z3_GoCar
06-27-2006, 01:52 PM

My kinda guy.
[/b]

He should have ordered the chili-spugetti :)

Oh, the sweet joy of youth! They bend and frequently don't break...they get sick and get well almost within the same moment...they get scrambled, folded, bent, and mutilated, and they order a steak burger and a shake. I can still remember those moments, but the memory fades.

Seriously...glad he's okay after such a horrible crash.
[/b]

This was also the first weekend back for Memo since his crash at Long Beach. I first meet Memo at Argyle park out side of Dixon. He'd just graduated from Jim Russell's mechanic's program and had won the staff race. He's only a couple years younger than I am. Maybe you consider all of us under 40's as youth!

James

ddewhurst
06-27-2006, 01:53 PM
***They had the skinniest fries I ever saw!***

The fries are never grease soaked while they taste like freshly cut potatos. & with the burger & fries ya all need a :birra:

gsbaker
06-27-2006, 03:53 PM
Maybe you consider all of us under 40's as youth![/b]
Like my Dad said on his recent 87th birthday, "Ah, to be seventy again."

turboICE
06-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Your quote was cut off short. "they finally got me out" What good is a supposed single release that an awake and aware driver soaked in gas and oil can not get himself out of the car? There are other options that would protect as well and not have caused the egress issue.

Joey Hand on his Rolex wreck...

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/grandam/27471/

When it was all said and done, I came to a stop upside down. I was still in the seat, and the first thing I noticed was my right shoe was off. I blew my right shoe off and my right glove somehow. I unbuckled myself and fell down out of the car onto the roof. There was fuel running down my back and into the roof of the car, and oil and stuff. The corner workers were yelling to get out of the car because it was going to catch fire, and I couldn’t get out because my HANS device was stuck in the window net, and the window was smaller than normal.

I went back in and tried to get my helmet off and then they called me back out again, and then they finally got me out with my HANS and everything on. I just climbed out and laid against the wall. We were too close to the car, still, so they dragged me up the way and worked on me from there.
[/b]

Everytime I see someone get out of something that bad OK I am thankful for all the safety requirements - and then there is always that part that regrets that we are likely going to be mandated to use a product that has serious egress issues in production bodied cars.

Video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LAtIE2ORCs...2Joey%20Hand%22 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LAtIE2ORCs&search=%22Joey%20Hand%22)

For an awake and aware driver it took way to long for him to be out of a car leaking fluids.

zracre
06-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Any comments from the guy in the GTO that flipped him?

turboICE
06-27-2006, 04:54 PM
New letter to the CRB:

I support a head and neck restraint requirement but object to the
limiting of the restraint choices to SFI 38.1 products, to the exclusion of those
which are not permitted certification due to single point release requirements.

After this weekend's Joey Hand crash I am writing again to object to
the limiting of head and neck restraints to SFI 38.1 products in
production bodied cars.

All these products represent a serious egress issue with production
bodied cars. The exclusion of products like Isaac from 38.1
certification due to an arbitrary and politically contrived single
release rule makes restricting the restraints to this standard an
undue safety issue to drivers. Drivers should have a choice to
utilize effective head and neck restraints which do not pose problems
with full egress from the car. A single point release requirement
when a driver can not egress from the car after release is dangerous
and drivers should have a broader choise of products to choose from to
meet the requirement for head and neck protection.

Ed Haney.
323520[/b]

gsbaker
06-27-2006, 05:04 PM
When someone gets cooked and this goes to court, it will be ugly beyond description.

crushed
06-27-2006, 06:10 PM
What does the guy who was actually stuck in the car covered in fuel have to say about the HANS?

Q: What about the HANS Device?

HAND: That’s number two for me and the HANS Device. That’s the second time the HANS Device saved me. They said there’s no way I could have survived the impacts without the HANS Device. It saved me again. In (a Toyota Atlantic car at) Milwaukee it saved me and here it saved me. I won’t drive without it if I have a chance. Not many people can say that they hit hard enough to have a HANS Device save them twice. [/b]

lateapex911
06-27-2006, 06:38 PM
What does the guy who was actually stuck in the car covered in fuel have to say about the HANS?
[/b]

Ahhh...but what would he say if he was fighting for his life in the burn center? THATs the point here. He dodged a bullet.

Anyway, what do I (or most of us) know about what "saves" or doesn't "save" me? Really! Of COURSE I think my gear saves me...but honestly...how the hell do I know? Sure, it's obvious that safety devices save us from worse injuries, but "Saved" is a strong term. Was I instrumented? Did I do a back to back identical crash?? Tons of Sprint car guys have gone for rides just as wild and raced in the backup car the next day. I'm not be-littleing the wreck, but it's not accurate for us to draw conclusions from what the driver said.

That's not to say I'm not a huge proponent of H & NR systems.

Listen, I understand that we can't get OUT of a fire if we are unconscious, or worse, but by the same token, having a device with a known issue mandated leaves me angry at the hush- hush mutually beneficial "standards setting" procedure/ racket that got me in the mess, and the lawyers that are deciding my fate to protect the "greater interests".

shwah
06-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Wow what a ride! I am glad to hear that he did eventually make it out OK.

As far as our own head/neck restraint debate, despite numerous calls to 'be patient' and 'just wait' regarding my ISAAC system, the rumors I hear point more and more towards re-investing in anti-neck breaking equipment in a year or two. The one positive is that at least it is the one that I viewed to be in the same performance league as what I determined to be the best product.

After a big hit at Mid Ohio 2 years ago, my buddy Chuck picked up a Hans before his first race the next year, and he seems to like it OK. We don't encounter any issues getting him into and out of the car under normal conditions, but have not battle tested it yet. Of course he can't look at the car next to him on the grid with it on either....

Blix
06-27-2006, 10:45 PM
Your quote was cut off short. "they finally got me out" What good is a supposed single release that an awake and aware driver soaked in gas and oil can not get himself out of the car? There are other options that would protect as well and not have caused the egress issue.

Joey Hand on his Rolex wreck...

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/grandam/27471/
Everytime I see someone get out of something that bad OK I am thankful for all the safety requirements - and then there is always that part that regrets that we are likely going to be mandated to use a product that has serious egress issues in production bodied cars.

Video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LAtIE2ORCs...2Joey%20Hand%22 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LAtIE2ORCs&search=%22Joey%20Hand%22)

For an awake and aware driver it took way to long for him to be out of a car leaking fluids.
[/b]

And you are cutting it off too...
From the same article:

HAND: That’s number two for me and the HANS Device. That’s the second time the HANS Device saved me. They said there’s no way I could have survived the impacts without the HANS Device. It saved me again. In (a Toyota Atlantic car at) Milwaukee it saved me and here it saved me. I won’t drive without it if I have a chance. Not many people can say that they hit hard enough to have a HANS Device save them twice. Whatever, we’ll go on.

I don't find it hard to remove my HANS at all with the quick release tethers. I can exit my car in about 8 seconds, door closed...the bottom line is that I don't think any of us practice egress often enough. You'd be amazed at how good you can get at it.

E

bldn10
06-28-2006, 11:00 AM
Sounds to me like the egress problem might not have been so much releasing the HANS but that it snagged on the window net. I think a real issue here is top-only net releases. If you are upside down, you have to use one hand to hold the net out of the way. Perhaps the rules should require dual releases.

ddewhurst
06-28-2006, 11:18 AM
***Perhaps the rules should require dual releases.***

Perhaps the rules should require arm restraints & $crew the window net. Open top cars don't have rules that say you SHALL have window nets. The friken rules for SCCA racing are as bad as the politics within the SCCA & all forms of goverment. The cost of safety will soon drive many people OUT of racing.

crushed
06-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Does anyone know how the hans was caught in the window net? Did the car have a mesh type net or the traditional style webbing net? I would imagine the newer mesh nets would significantly lower the chance of anything getting stuck on it...

turboICE
06-28-2006, 12:39 PM
I don't find it hard to remove my HANS at all with the quick release tethers. I can exit my car in about 8 seconds, door closed...the bottom line is that I don't think any of us practice egress often enough. You'd be amazed at how good you can get at it.[/b]Umm by my best guess then you are needing a second point of release - how does the product you have chosen warrant licensing as 38.1 and another product requiring the same release not? That is the point not that you shouldn't be allowed to use HANS but that I shouldn't be restricted from using Isaac.

Agreed egress is not practiced in a timed manner often enough - what with window nets, cool shirts, comms gear, steering wheel, drink tubes and who knows what else in the future.

The cost of safety will soon drive many people OUT of racing.[/b]At the same time the cost of insuring events drives sanctioning bodies out of Motorsports take a look at stage rally.

Knestis
06-28-2006, 12:51 PM
***Perhaps the rules should require dual releases.***

Perhaps the rules should require arm restraints ...[/b]
Or PERHAPS, if the real issue is egress, we should just be required to demonstrate that we can get out of our cars in XX seconds, regardless of the gradoo that we choose to have hanging on us. It's called 'performance assessment' and there's no substitute for measuring what we really care about, rather than getting distracted by inputs, outcomes, or proxies of the action being examined. Do it for the annual tech, suited and helmeted, then have spot checks during the season.

K

Bill Miller
06-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Kirk,

I understand your point about demonstrating your ability to exit your car in a timely manner, but how do you do that for cases where the car is upside down or on its side?

I'm inclined to agree w/ David on this one. Dump the window net requirement and make everyone run arm restraints. You can run an open-top car w/ a high front hoop, which is essentially the same cage configuration as a tin-top. Why is it ok for them to run arm restraints but not for someone in a tin-top?

The top-down release requirement for window nets is silly. As evidenced by both Joey Hand's and Brian Mushnick's incidents this past weekend, it doesn't do anything for you when you're upside down.

Doc Bro
06-28-2006, 01:19 PM
Or PERHAPS, if the real issue is egress, we should just be required to demonstrate that we can get out of our cars in XX seconds, regardless of the gradoo that we choose to have hanging on us. It's called 'performance assessment' and there's no substitute for measuring what we really care about, rather than getting distracted by inputs, outcomes, or proxies of the action being examined. Do it for the annual tech, suited and helmeted, then have spot checks during the season.

K
[/b]

Wow!! What a great post.

I think that is the smartest idea I've heard on the subject. Use a performance assessment to determine who races and who doesn't. You get to use your (commercially available) HNR as you see fit. Get rid of the SFI thing, just say comercially available so that some guy doesn't show with rope and a bungee labeled HNR. You demonstrate first hand knowledge, you live. Do it once a year. It's on record (documentation). Besides it may be a wake up call to the 300 lbers that they can't get out of their car in under 20sec. without even wearing a HNR. I would make it MANDATORY for all drivers w/or w/out a HNR. Just use egress performance as part of the anual, just like physicals are required.

This is where the ISAAC, Hutchins whomever crowd should be putting their efforts...not trying to fight SFI (capitol hill) ratings.

Good thinking Kirk!

R

[quote]

Details?

R

Bill Miller
06-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Rob,

Brian rolled his ITA 16v Golf 4 times comming out of Turn 10 at the 12 hour race at Summit Point this past weekend. From the reports I got (didn't see it first-hand), the car landed on its roof.

JamesB
06-28-2006, 01:47 PM
This is what I saw and heard on the radio net. The car did finish on its roof. Driver took some time to get out, but there was a short period where movement of the driver could not be determined by Pit or station 10. Driver did get out on his own to my knowledge. However, I think disorientated as he stood for a period of time on the traffic facing side of the car till a corner worker got him up the berm wall till medical arrived.

lateapex911
06-28-2006, 02:07 PM
The net issue is pretty easy. Mine has quick release top and bottom.

The performance rating is, of course, way too logical.

Trouble is, it shifts liability. The clubs lawyers won't go for it in a million years, even after a dozen martinis served to them by strippers.

Why?

Because, with a performance standard, the SCCA has deemed what is acceptable, and what is not. In the event of an incident, the widow has an easy time finding an ambulance chaser who will hang the case on the SCCAs decision that XX seconds was an acceptable egress performance, when her husband died in a fire that engulfed the car in XX minus 3 seconds. Or any of a zillion similar incidents.

Sadly, the whole SFI thing is loved by lawyers because it spreads the liability.

And it's not about successfully defending cases like this as a club, it's about not having them brought on the club in the first place. The sad fact is that when a suit is brought against the club, the club loses...whether the suit has merit, or is won, or not.

Common sense is fast being driven to extinction by avery litigious society.

(Look at the Porsche Carrera GT case in Cali. The widow of the passenger (who himself owned a Lamborghini) is suing every last breathing body that was on the site the day her husband climbed into a Carrera GT with a guy he'd NEVER met, went driving thru the infeld of the Cali Speedway at 165 MPH, swerved to avoid a slow moving Ferrari just coming out of the pits, lost control and slammed into a concrete barrier, killing both, ...at a Ferrari "Drivers ed" event. There were so many mistakes made there that she's going to be in court every day for a year, LOL. But ..the biggest mistake, made by her husband, (Unknown driver, goofy club event, no restraints, ultra high performance, known inadequecies in the track, etc) is being ignored)

Greg Amy
06-28-2006, 02:08 PM
I talked to Brian afterwards, as did others, and I'm sure he'll chime in here. However, he indicated that he was perfectly fine afterwards and was hanging from his harnesses, waiting for assistance from a corner worker. When it didn't arrive he eventually "lifted" himself from the tension of the belts to be able to release them (after remembering to remove the steering wheel) and crawled his way out.

I was there on the wall when it happened. I missed the beginning of it but the rolling most certainly caught my attention. Ended up on its lid in the gravel about a car length off the racing surface.

After crawling out he stood there for a moment before the corner worker - still up on the earthen berm - called to him to get him to climb up. Brian recognized the crowd with a flourishing bow, blew a kiss to his concerned wife watching from the pit wall, then climbed up and kneeled down to catch his breath. His re-told conversations with the medical crew are classic Mushnick.

See some discussion - and an in-flight photo - in the Endurance Racing section of this forum.

JamesB
06-28-2006, 02:23 PM
And that filled in all the gaps I was left with from my position at the track and keeping tuned in on the radio network. Good to know he wasn't knocked out. again I only got the tracknet info, I never got the followup.

ddewhurst
06-28-2006, 02:24 PM
***At the same time the cost of insuring events drives sanctioning bodies out of Motorsports take a look at stage rally.***

One thing is for sure with you ED, you'll never be wrong with your catch all statements. Gee, lets raise the insurance rates because many existing classes wear arm restraints. (Sorry K) Anyone racing with ditches, stones, trees & other stuff of nature on their road course shoud be run out of business or they should pay 100% of their insurance costs. & anyone who stands on the ditch banks witching the rallys should have a mental health analysis. Would ya sit in stands with no guard rail/fence & watch a oval sprint car race ?

***The friken rules for SCCA racing are as bad as the politics within the SCCA & all forms of goverment.***

For you ED, I should have explained that insurance companys & the SCCA risk analysis people are also politicans.

ED, If you can't view the direction that MANDATORY safety items are going ya need to sharpen up your knowledge. If ya think the HANS is the answer all please read some data of what the HANS will & will not do for head & neck protection. Then read the comparable data that other H & N restraint devices as to what they will provide. Please tell me what other safety devises along with the HANS are required to give a driver equal protection to another well designed safety devise we all know of. Product details please, not blanket statements. For this conversation forget the blanket statement of SFI 38.1.

Nuff said by me.

gsbaker
06-28-2006, 02:40 PM
Trouble is, it shifts liability. The clubs lawyers won't go for it in a million years, even after a dozen martinis served to them by strippers.[/b]
That alone suggests their thinking is flawed. :P :birra:

Knestis
06-28-2006, 03:32 PM
As someone with a set of arm restraints in his gear bag, who has used them - a lot - in closed cars, I'd be totally fine with the no-nets option. However, I believe that they not only keep our arms IN the bus, they have the potential to keep other stuff OUT. I'd still use them if i didn't feel that adding them to the other things in my life - drink tube, Isaac cord, harness pull straps, radio cord - didnt' make them a net loss in the safety equation.

I looked at the option of a top- and bottom-release net but couldn't figure out an elegant way to do the bottom, given our door bar design, that I could get to down next to the seat. I'm going to revisit it, however.

K

timelapseracing
06-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Hesitating to get into the discussion at all, I feel there is a different issue mediating all of the facts regarding his egress from the car. Let me first provide the disclaimer - I wear a HANS in the race car, I might have chosen differently buying it since I've learned more about ISAAC, but maybe not. I'm not unhappy with what I have and feel it a big step up over the ridiculous foam collars of not too many years ago.

So I'm taking this from the perspective of both a driver an Flagger. I've been a flagger since 1988 and have responded to several roll overs at several tracks. My current home track is Summit and has been so since the early 1990's. So - that said - in many cases where a car has sustained severe impacts to the top, front, side, back, etc... doors don't open, drivers who normally don't egress through windows have trouble regardless of the equipment they are wearing. I've seen radio's hang them up, as well as just not getting clear of the belts in an upside-down car.

Now - as much as the driver wants to get out quickly and without catches, sometimes enough damage has been done to the vehicle to require the Jaws or at least a standard issue corner worker knife, to remove belts and window nets. That's what corner workers are there for.

I think the discussion about how long it takes to get out of a destroyed car is misplaced. The point is he had the 'appropriate' (as in - it did it's job) gear on so that he could worry about the next step - getting out of the bent car. Perhaps he would have had just as much trouble getting out with no head/neck restraint, we don't know. I can get out of my car pretty fast with the HANS on, but don't know about how fast it would be if it were on it's roof. Arm restraints are a good option, but like was said before, the nets also keep stuff out.

Jason.

ddewhurst
06-28-2006, 04:51 PM
***they have the potential to keep other stuff OUT.***

K, & others no question about the net keeping stuff out. But in the big picture 50 % (guess) of the cars within SCCA road racing don't have a window net. ;) Lets have the SCCA legal begals & insurance companys do an analysis of the window net/arm restraint. They might come to a conclusion that if one item is good that two should be better. Now we can all spend more $$$ on safety gear. :cavallo:

Bill Miller
06-28-2006, 05:08 PM
I'd go along w/ the "they keep things out" arguement, but we're required to run w/ the pass. side window down. Personally, I think the potential egress issues outweigh the benefit gained by a window keeping something out of one side of the car.

turboICE
06-28-2006, 09:14 PM
***At the same time the cost of insuring events drives sanctioning bodies out of Motorsports take a look at stage rally.***

One thing is for sure with you ED, you'll never be wrong with your catch all statements. Gee, lets raise the insurance rates because many existing classes wear arm restraints. (Sorry K) Anyone racing with ditches, stones, trees & other stuff of nature on their road course shoud be run out of business or they should pay 100% of their insurance costs. & anyone who stands on the ditch banks witching the rallys should have a mental health analysis. Would ya sit in stands with no guard rail/fence & watch a oval sprint car race ?
***The friken rules for SCCA racing are as bad as the politics within the SCCA & all forms of goverment.***

For you ED, I should have explained that insurance companys & the SCCA risk analysis people are also politicans.

ED, If you can't view the direction that MANDATORY safety items are going ya need to sharpen up your knowledge. If ya think the HANS is the answer all please read some data of what the HANS will & will not do for head & neck protection. Then read the comparable data that other H & N restraint devices as to what they will provide. Please tell me what other safety devises along with the HANS are required to give a driver equal protection to another well designed safety devise we all know of. Product details please, not blanket statements. For this conversation forget the blanket statement of SFI 38.1.

Nuff said by me.
[/b]DAVID - you completely lost me - I don't even know where to start.

I don't blame the SCCA at all for the condition of stage rally - I blame a lack of individual responsibility in the US and a complete acceptance of litigation despite full personal responsibility being the causal factor of "losses". The result is insurance costs that made stage rally fiscally unfeasible.

The second half I don't even know what you think I have said that would result in what you typed and without that context I am not even sure what you are getting at.

My knowledge is quite full and sharp. I think 38.1 is arbitrary and contrived outside of its quantitative standards. I believe Isaac is the best answer for me as it is as effective or more so at H&N restraint than any alternative and it allows me to get the heck out of the car - full egress, single point of release be damned.

Now if somehow the second half of your response was based on those views you will need to clarify for me.

tom91ita
06-29-2006, 03:58 PM
regarding the requirement of timed exits, whether it is good or bad, from the NASA CCR:

"16.2.2 Emergency Exit Time
The car must be setup to allow drivers to exit the car quickly in an emergency. Drivers
will be tested from time to time to ensure that they can meet the specified time for exiting
the car in the event of an emergency. The driver must demonstrate the ability to exit
their car within ten (10) seconds by opening the door (for cars with doors) or formula /
sports racers, and within fifteen (15) seconds by way of the window opening for sedans.
Drivers must be wearing all of their required driver’s gear and be tightly belted into the
driver’s seat when the clock starts. Anyone that fails this test may be penalized with
penalties ranging from a fifty ($50) dollar fine to exclusion from participation until
corrections are made."

i have releases top and bottom and hope i never have to use them. will have to look at a way to release the right side triangle net when i add that in case i need to crawl out the passenger side.

tom

JamesB
06-29-2006, 04:08 PM
I been looking at the triangle nets and you can get them with a buckle at the pointy end of the triangle so they are easy to release at that point.

Bill Miller
06-29-2006, 04:27 PM
regarding the requirement of timed exits, whether it is good or bad, from the NASA CCR:

"16.2.2 Emergency Exit Time
The car must be setup to allow drivers to exit the car quickly in an emergency. Drivers
will be tested from time to time to ensure that they can meet the specified time for exiting
the car in the event of an emergency. The driver must demonstrate the ability to exit
their car within ten (10) seconds by opening the door (for cars with doors) or formula /
sports racers, and within fifteen (15) seconds by way of the window opening for sedans.
Drivers must be wearing all of their required driver’s gear and be tightly belted into the
driver’s seat when the clock starts. Anyone that fails this test may be penalized with
penalties ranging from a fifty ($50) dollar fine to exclusion from participation until
corrections are made."

i have releases top and bottom and hope i never have to use them. will have to look at a way to release the right side triangle net when i add that in case i need to crawl out the passenger side.

tom
[/b]

Charging drivers money because they can't get out w/in the specified time? WTF is up w/ that? It's a safety issue, not a revenue stream! If you can't get out in the specified time, you don't run. However, if they're not going to allow you to run, they do need to refund your entry fee. :018:

turboICE
06-29-2006, 05:55 PM
$50 is a consistent fine for safety violations in NASA. I kind of agree - there is nothing more motivating to a club racer than cash. IMO good behavior modification.

Fines were handed out to three drivers recently at a MW event for safety items - like wearing cotton socks.

Until that event I had never seen it done at a NASA region. The point of it was not revenue for the region - the point of it as explained in the drivers meetings was that NASA has a national event this year and the CCR is to be followed not taken lightly. NASA National officials have gone to events for all the regions this year and has been hammering home that the CCR is not optional - for instance contact reports must be filed by all in contact for every contact. I am sure fines will be handed out at Nationals as well - the safety rules are not exactly difficult to understand and they should be followed at least to the minimum requirements.

tom91ita
06-29-2006, 06:03 PM
$50 is a consistent fine for safety violations in NASA. I kind of agree - there is nothing more motivating to a club racer than cash. IMO good behavior modification.

Fines were handed out to three drivers recently at a MW event for safety items - like wearing cotton socks.

Until that event I had never seen it done at a NASA region. The point of it was not revenue for the region - the point of it as explained in the drivers meetings was that NASA has a national event this year and the CCR is to be followed not taken lightly. NASA National officials have gone to events for all the regions this year and has been hammering home that the CCR is not optional - for instance contact reports must be filed by all in contact for every contact. I am sure fines will be handed out at Nationals as well - the safety rules are not exactly difficult to understand and they should be followed at least to the minimum requirements.
[/b]

at my second nasa event ever (this april at mid-ohio), a driver was fined $50 for taking his helmut off while still on track and being towed back to the pits.

they were very specific that the $$ would be donated to a charity. don't remember but something like red cross, etc.

tom