PDA

View Full Version : Cordless Impact Drivers

Domino
06-22-2006, 03:34 PM
I'm looking at either the Dewalt 14.4V DW054K-2 or the Makita 14.4V 6935FDWDE. I am leaning toward the Makita since it has a slightly larger trq rating 103 lb/ft vs 95 lb/ft and it's a Ni-MH battery vs the Dewalt's Ni-Cd. Has anyone had any experience with either?

veeman
06-22-2006, 03:51 PM
No experience with those specific models, but I do have a Ryobi cordless impact driver. It's the model from the "One +" series of 18V tools and it works great. About $55.

I use it with a 1/2 socket drive adapter in the slip-in collet. The batteries switch into my drill / flashlight, etc. I believe mine was rated in inch pounds and worked out to be about 60 ft/lbs. This is fine for me since I only really use it to zip the lugs on and off to save time. When it comes time to break them loose or torque them, I use other tools for that.

Are the DeWalt and Makita really rated that high?

Domino
06-22-2006, 04:34 PM
Yep, Dewalt is 1,150 in/lbs and the Makita is 1,240 in/lbs.

lateapex911
06-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Dewalt???
Makita???

And there's a question???

(hint..it's an easy choice but isn't alphabetic)

Domino
06-22-2006, 09:47 PM
I take it that's a vote for the Makita.

tom91ita
06-22-2006, 10:35 PM
not either of those, bought one of the $100 harbor freight ones rated at 220ft-lbs and love it.

don't see it at their website anymore but they have the milwaukee at 240 ft-lbs on sale for $289.99

and sometimes here you can snag a 20% off coupon but none are current now, last one expired 6/21. http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1521704&page=4

the local stores honor the internet sales and accept these coupons. getting the $300 milwaukee for about $260 with two batteries and 240 ft-lbs is not such a bad deal.

ddewhurst
06-23-2006, 06:30 AM
Just bought the DeWalt 1/2 inch, 14.4, 1550 inch pounds/129 foot pounds it has the two cheap o batterys/charger that come with the kit fer $220.00. The up grade batteries go for approx $70.00 each. The key to me for the 14.4 volt is the lighter wweight than the higher voltages. Primarly for at track work.

joeg
06-23-2006, 08:28 AM
I urge you to buy one of 18v or higher that has much larger torque values--in other words one that can actually remove a tightened lug.

Any brand is probably fine, but a 14.4 volt model will not prove to be useful; an 18v or higher works as well as an air gun. A 14.4 model is about as good as a cordless drill; it will not "break" a tight lug.

Cheers.

Wreckerboy
06-23-2006, 08:29 AM
Just for the record, the reference to the legendary HF impact reminded me of this thread where the change in the old "long nose" vs. the new "short nose" unit is discussed. In short, the new unit is not nearly as good. http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...?showtopic=5970 (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5970)

That being said, in addition to my HF long nose unit, I recently purchased a 18V DeWalt from a factory tool refurb house with two batteries, charger, and case for $169. It hasn't got the most torque in the world, but I can break stuff free by hand and use it to spin the thing the rest of the way apart, which is still a time and labor saver. David is right about the weight, though. It is a little on the heavy side, and the balance is not spectacular.

tom91ita
06-23-2006, 08:37 AM
I urge you to buy one of 18v or higher that has much larger torque values--in other words one that can actually remove a tightened lug.

Any brand is probably fine, but a 14.4 volt model will not prove to be useful; an 18v or higher works as well as an air gun. A 14.4 model is about as good as a cordless drill; it will not "break" a tight lug.

Cheers.
[/b]

i agree. the crank bolts on Honda's are legendary for difficult to take off. I used my HF 220 ft-lbs model to take off a crank pulley that had not been removed since ~1993. Knocked it right off. Now this was the race car that did not dirt grime, etc. but still, get something that can at least do the lugs on the car.

Domino
06-23-2006, 09:27 AM
i agree. the crank bolts on Honda's are legendary for difficult to take off. I used my HF 220 ft-lbs model to take off a crank pulley that had not been removed since ~1993. Knocked it right off. Now this was the race car that did not dirt grime, etc. but still, get something that can at least do the lugs on the car.
[/b]

All I really want it for is lug nut removal. Trq spec is 80 lb/ft. I've never had it move much beyond that after a race. The big stuff is reserved for my Ingersol-Rand air gun.

joeg
06-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Lugs are not always at precisely 80ft.lbs.

If you want to break them free with a gun, 18v is a minimum.

If you want to break by hand (why???) all you need is a cordless drill to complete removal.

Bill Miller
06-26-2006, 11:40 AM
As was pointed out, there's a thread in the Bargin Shopper selection of the classifieds about these. I've already got a lot of DeWalt 18v tools, so the choice for me would be a no-brainer. Not to mention that you can get 2-packs of the 18v XR+ batteries for $100. Either buy a brand new 18v kit for between $250 - $300, or get a tool only and buy extra batteries if you need more (this assumes you already have a charger). If you don't, don't buy the regular charger, get the one that's a radio as well. Doesn't cost much more, and will play while it's charging, or on the battery.

ddewhurst
06-26-2006, 09:08 PM
***If you want to break them free with a gun, 18v is a minimum.***

Joe or anyone else who beleives the above statement, ^ it's totally WRONG. No dought a 18v impact wrench will break nuts free BUT the 14.4 volt cheap battery 1/2 inch DeWalt impact gun dose the same job very well with the nuts torqued to 80 foot pounds. The impact gun also dose very well when the nuts are torqued to 130 foot pounds. :P ;) :D

joeg
06-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Dave--I will stand by my statement. As I had said, lugs are not always 80 ft. lbs. You can also add to that the issue about the gun's battery running down a bit during use and maybe even a wee bit of corrosion on the stud and you have the makings of disappointment with a lower voltage gun.

I have actually seen it happen with a brand new 14.4 Dewalt (and the owner came over to borrow my 18 Volter).

Cheers.

ddewhurst
06-27-2006, 01:59 PM
***maybe even a wee bit of corrosion on the stud***

Joe, you allow corrosion on your race car ? :018:

I may learn the hard way but I can live with that. It will not be my first error or my last. ;)

Domino
07-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Just came today. 18V XRP 138 lb/ft. Amazon was running a crazy special. It was actually cheaper then the 14.4V. $229 shipped. Go figure. Cranked the lugs to 100+, it didn't break a sweat.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_det...?productID=6344 (http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=6344)

fulscaltyz
07-16-2006, 08:29 PM
:happy204: Just bought the 24 cordless impact from the local Pep Boys. It works great for the money and is cheap enough to take to the track and not be overly worried about some one taking off with it. It was only $100. 170 ft lbs. I used one at the 12 hours of summit and it worked great.

dyoungre
07-17-2006, 01:16 PM
I was looking for a replacement battery for my 14.4V Dewalt drill, and for an extra $100, I got the 1/2" impact gun with the new battery.Chosen for commonality, not necessarily performance.

I've had it for 2 years, and never had difficulty taking off my lug nuts.

erlrich
07-19-2006, 11:49 AM
:happy204: Just bought the 24 cordless impact from the local Pep Boys. It works great for the money and is cheap enough to take to the track and not be overly worried about some one taking off with it. It was only $100. 170 ft lbs. I used one at the 12 hours of summit and it worked great. [/b] Dave - I also decided to try one of those, and so far have been very impressed. I tested it out on the pickup right after I bought it; 48 lugs off and back on (tightened to 90 lbs/ft each time), and then took it to the track last weekend. Even with some problems with some new too-short lug nuts (don't ask) I still got quite a bit more use out of that first charge, although I was too busy cursing to keep count. I'm certain that with a fresh charge and under normal use you could easily get 80 - 100 lug nuts off/on before the battery runs out. The only question remaining in my mind is how long it will live.