PDA

View Full Version : Summit 12hr dumb question

16v
06-20-2006, 11:52 PM
I'm sure I'll be laughed at for this, but, do they offer timing and scoring to the pit boxes? Say via wifi from T&S?? or the ability to plug a LAN cable? :unsure:

JOESELLSVW
06-21-2006, 01:17 AM
Hey guys, we'll be sharing pit space with you and Kirk. The answer for wifi and a lan cable is unfortunately no. We'll have an I card in the pits though. We have a pretty good set up for lights etc... When will you guys be arriving? We should be in place by Thursday night. See you there..... Joe and the #37 crew

Bill Miller
06-21-2006, 07:39 AM
I'm sure I'll be laughed at for this, but, do they offer timing and scoring to the pit boxes? Say via wifi from T&S?? or the ability to plug a LAN cable? :unsure:
[/b]

Sorry to say Doug, but SP is not that high-tech yet. As Joe said, I think the only thing we can use is an I-card. If anyone's got an extra one, or has access to one, I can bring my son's Game Boy.

mgyip
06-21-2006, 09:30 AM
Summit Point and Hi-Tech are oxymorons. :bash_1_:

ICard should be functional although I won't be there to babysit the system. There are several DC Region members who aren't part of T&S who are cabable of troubleshooting ICard as well as a few T&S folk who can beat it into submission.

There is WiFi but only for DisplayIT - a system that runs directly off AMB's decoder instead of reading Scoreboard inputs from Chronx or Orbitx. Unfortunately DisplayIT is currently only an in-car unit although they are developing a USB version (just like ICard) that runs on a laptop and is targeted at team managers/crew chiefs and enduro races.

Have fun y'all!! :birra:

16v
06-21-2006, 09:48 AM
Rats.

I'm wondering if someone were to bring a wifi base station, would they allow it to be set up and used?

mgyip
06-21-2006, 09:55 AM
I'm wondering if someone were to bring a wifi base station, would they allow it to be set up and used?
[/b]

Bwwaaaahhhhhaaaa!!!!

"Surely you jest"

"I'm not joking and stop callng me Shirley"

I wouldn't hold my breath on setting up a wifi base station but I would suggest a quick note to the RE (Gayle Lorenz who is also Director of Competition).

Be aware that WDCR's T&S folks are touchy about letting anyone tap into their computer network (and rightly so since results are protestable). They do run a wireless network that could possibly allow you to tap in without directly affecting anyone but I'm no connectivity guru so I'll leave it at "they run a wireless network".

Now for me to look stupid since I'm interested but NOT technical - Out of curiosity, what data are you gathering and how do you translate and send it over wifi?

JamesB
06-21-2006, 10:05 AM
Icard will be up and running and I think myself and one of the starts will be there to look at things.

As for the wifi, I dont know if you can grab the stream off it and I know you wont get a signal from beyond the Grid station due to the WAP placement in the T&S building. I have already checked on that.

16v
06-21-2006, 10:15 AM
ok, thanks for the info guys. :birra:

16v
06-25-2006, 08:17 PM
turns out they did have it running

Conover
06-25-2006, 09:10 PM
Yes and it is a very cool thing to have!

16v
06-25-2006, 09:22 PM
except the couple times it conked out B)

JamesB
06-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Yeah, I dont know whos supplied the AP and dipole for the wifi, but that was pretty cool. We only had to reset the Icard system twice and only once was there radio talk about it. So I guess thats a good weekend for T&S.

mgyip
06-26-2006, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I dont know whos supplied the AP and dipole for the wifi, but that was pretty cool. We only had to reset the Icard system twice and only once was there radio talk about it. So I guess thats a good weekend for T&S.
[/b]

Score one for the tech weenies :happy204:

Only having to reset iCard 2x is awesome. iCard isn't the most stable program and it doesn't run on the most stable OS either.

JamesB
06-26-2006, 10:07 AM
yeah, I was commendeering any pit cart I could to run up there every break to check the system.