PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Driver Restraints

Z3_GoCar
06-19-2006, 09:45 PM
I thought I'd put this out for discussion. Belts are recommended to be mounted to the stock location. Well in my case the lower two mounts are the stock seat. So I was considering mounting the anti-sub straps and the lap belt to the seat adaptor ( a 2x3 .125 wall steel tube ). So where did everyone else mount their anti-sub and lap belts?

James

joeg
06-20-2006, 07:30 AM
To the floor. Backing plate with captive nut welded in the proper location to orient with the slot-hole in the seat.

Cheers.

RacerBill
06-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Tabs welded to the floor in the appropriate position to locate the belts correctly. Bolt-in belt hardware is then bolted to the tab. Grade 5 bolts. Bolts are mounted with force in shear rather than tension.

Not necessarily better, just another alternative.

ddewhurst
06-20-2006, 01:59 PM
***Belts are recommended to be mounted to the stock location. *** :018:

Belts are to be mounted to the belt manufactures specification. ;)

Z3_GoCar
06-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Hey David,

Thanks for that point, but the manufacture's sheet says, "Seat Belts are not to be mounted to sheetmetal, but to frame(in this case that's sheet metal like cars less than 26 years old), rollcage, or factory seatbelt mouting points." Thus the belt manufacturer recomends the stock mounting point, which in this case is the seat frame above the power adjuster. Now that I'm not running the stock sliding power seat with a few more attachment points something different needs to be done :P Keep it comming B)

James

ddewhurst
06-20-2006, 09:45 PM
James, with a 3/4 inch diameter bolt with a 3 inch outside diameter washer on the far side of the chassis sheet metal I'm willing to bet the sheet metal will take more than the human body. :o :birra:

Speed Raycer
06-21-2006, 10:48 AM
What I usually do in this case is to get the seat in position w/ a driver sitting in it and get the belts lined up to whatever degree the manufacturer suggests. Mark the angle on the rocker/tranny tunnel to be sure that the attachment point stays in the right plane. Then it's a double shear setup that's either bolted through or plug welded with a 4x4 plate underneith.

And people wonder why harness installation tacks on another franklin or two on their bill :bash_1_:

I've yet to find a good way of attaching the lap belts to the cage without adding about 30 lbs of material.