PDA

View Full Version : Discontinued parts

RacerBill
06-17-2006, 11:45 PM
OK - I need to know what others have done in this situation. I am trying to replace a bracket but when I went to a Chrysler dealer, they could not locate the part. They were able to locate other parts got parts from all over the country) but there are a bunch that are discontinued and not available. What are my options? Pick-and-pull? Fabricate?

Thanks.

zracre
06-18-2006, 01:19 AM
I believe your only legal option is to go to a pick and pull or find a part number on the bracket and really dig deep.

ddewhurst
06-18-2006, 11:43 AM
Identify the car & part, Pick & Pull, E-bay, Place wanted adds on car sites..................... Make/fab a replaement OEM part :018:

Greg Amy
06-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Make/fab a replaement OEM part :018:
[/b]

Why not? The rules do not require you to use OEM parts, aftermarket replacements are now allowed. Further, the rules do not specifically restrict the manufacturer(s) of the part; where does it say you cannot be that manufacturer? Granted, the intent is specifically stated, but not restricted, thus if you can fab up your own part that is "the exact equivalent of the original parts" by all means, fab away!

Oh, as an aside, there's that damnable word in there: material. Gotta meet the same "material" specs. Huh, didn't we have this agreement before about what you can do with that word?

It's a whole new world out there...

lateapex911
06-18-2006, 01:18 PM
yea...overheard in the post race impound:

Guy one: My engine is moving all around..I can't shift.....and the mounts are NEW!

Guy two: They aren't STOCK are they?? Oh..THATs your problem...I've been gutting those for years...use aluminum or harder rubber, or fill it with epoxy.

Guy one: Really? You can do that??

Guy two: Of COURSE you can...it's fine!!!

Saw a lot of crudely cut holes in front ends for cold air too...........

JLawton
06-18-2006, 05:23 PM
For the brakets, I would think it depends on what ones? A braket to hold the lower part of a fender? A braket to hold a sway bar? A braket to hold an alternator? An engine? I would say body parts, sway bars, seats, radiators...... Fab away! Engines and accessories? Hmmmmmmm...........

ddewhurst
06-18-2006, 11:16 PM
Greg, I'm sorry. :wacko: I keep forgeting to use the latest rules. ;)

Hey Bill Miller, do ya supose we could have pre S.B. classes & after S.B.B classes ? :dead_horse:

RacerBill
06-18-2006, 11:33 PM
Thanks, guys. I am not in dire straits yet, but I can forsee issues before the checkered flag. Looks like it will be a go for the Cincy double regional.

zracre
06-19-2006, 09:16 AM
gee whiz my cams and crank are both cracked...I guess I can go fab up another...

joeg
06-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Back to the original question...

Know all of your part numbers (oem). This is key to running a relic in IT.

Search the Internet: motorplace.com/ partsvoice.com

Get to know your local dealers; see if they will run obsolete inventory part searches for you.

Diligently search ebay daily for your category.

Understand that there are many manufactureres and vendors making oem-style replacement parts. Getting and keeping such a list is key. Often times it is necessary to retreive old parts bibles from part stores who have now gone digital.

You will note that junk yards should be avoided. When you run a relic, try and find the newest replacement parts.

Finally, investigate and find out who may be the NOS houses for your marque. There are many scattered all over the country. Open accounts with these folks.

Running a relic is fun, but the key is becoming your own parts warehouse. Buying something you do not need (right now) in a quantity discount is not very costly over the long haul.

Bottom line. If you are running a domestic or a popular car, the part you need is out there--brand new if you take the time to look.

Cheers.

RacerBill
07-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Evan: Please tell me you are being sarcastic. I realize that there are folks out there that would use that kind of an excuse.

Joeg:

"Know all of your part numbers (oem). This is key to running a relic in IT."
Fortunately, my car came with a complete set of every part that Chrysler used in 1984.

"Search the Internet: motorplace.com/ partsvoice.com"
Will have to try those sites. BTW, what do you do if you are not computer literate? I know of a couple of drivers who will not touch a computer!

"Get to know your local dealers; see if they will run obsolete inventory part searches for you."
That's what I did when it started looking bad for getting my shift linkage back. Local dealer could only come up with what might be wear items (plastic bushings, etc) no major components. They did locate a shift tube, but when I opened it up yesterday, there are welds on it that look like they were made by a drunk monkey, definitely not manufacturer quality!

"Diligently search ebay daily for your category."
Yup

I am lucky in one respect. When I bought my car, it came with two complete engines, three blocks, two transmissions cases, and more boxes of parts than I had room to store. Being a Charger, the non-performance parts seem to be plentyful. Just some parts are hard to find.

BTW, Mid-Ohio was a blast! Got into two races, one DNF due to ignition and fuel issues, but was able to get enough laps in the second to qualify as a finish. Now to work on the carb.

Thanks for the help.

ITANorm
07-05-2006, 12:07 PM
I know that all Japanese manufacturers had microfiche parts catalogs. I suspect US and European manufacturers do (did) also. I have the OEM parts 'fiches for both my race car and my later model street toy ('91 MR2 Turbo) - and they both cover all years of production for each vehicle. I got them off eBay, and bought a (well) used 'fiche reader locally. Total investment? ~$100.

I also have an original factory parts manual (paper) from GM for the 90-91 Prizms - since I think they are a good sleeper candidate in ITB.

joeg
07-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Bill--Don't forget the NOS Parts businesses.

They certainly exist for MOPARS.

These can be excellent resources. These are the companies that buy out NOS obsolete stuff from the dealers and munfacturers. There are even a bunch tat are Multi-manufacturer.

With my Ford, Green Sales in Cincinatti usually has everything--and I am talking real odd-ball requests!

cheers.

RacerBill
07-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Thanks for all your ideas.

Carrying on!!!!

Need to concentrate on the fuel issue for the time being.

HotWheelHolly
03-15-2007, 09:57 PM
I'd go for e-Bay, really. If you can't find it anywhere, else, you're liable to somehow find it there.