PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads, ITC?

Ed Funk
06-16-2006, 07:18 AM
New to itc Hondas, always used Hawk Blues on the itb Opel and liked them. I'd like to use them on these cars, also. I called Hawk and was told a part number and that they still make them, but that they couldn't sell direct to me, I have to go through a distributor. I've been told by three distributors that Hawk doesn't make pads for 84-87 Civic/CRX.

If you're using Hawks, where do you get them? If some other pad, what and where?

Thanks!!
Ed

iambhooper
06-16-2006, 08:06 AM
Ed,
Welcome to ITC. Yes, the Hawks are not available for us. I use the Raybestos Pads that I got from Porterfield. They are a nastycar compound and have held up well. I got the set last may, and have 5 weekends, and numerous test days on them. They give me a stopping power that many of my competition doesnt have.

Give them a call.

good luck!
hoop

Greg Gauper
06-16-2006, 10:27 AM
Another big, big thumbs up on the Raybestos pads from Porterfield!

I too had to switch when I could no longer get Hawks, which were my favorite pad till then.

I tried Carbotechs but could not get them to hold up, especially at Blackhawk or Road America....both tracks being brake killers. You might be able to make them work at most other tracks since the above two are exceptions to the rule. BTW - Ialso tried Porterfield's own compound and I could not get that to work either.

The Raybestos pads have held up very well on my G-Prod car. Very good stopping power and pedal feel.

There are two compounds. I would stick with the ST43 compound since the ST41 needs heat to work.

They are pricey, but I'm getting almost twice the life as Hawk blues, so overall, the cost is a wash. They seem to be a little easier on rotors than blues.

If you have your heart set on Hawk blues, Porterfield will custom make a set with Hawk Blue material, but expect to pay thru the nose.

Fellow Cen-Div Honda racers Bob Clark & Bill Banner run them as well. If I'm not mistaken, Albin runs them on his VW's too and he's not exactly Mr. Pussy Foot on the middle pedal if you catch my drift B)

charrbq
06-16-2006, 11:28 AM
I used to use Hawk Blues that I got from Carbotech, but I don't think they carry them anymore. Porterfield told me they didn't carry pads for my car. I've used Carbotech Panther Plus for years and absolutely love them! The wear is good and they modulation/release is most excellent. I usually get several races out of a set before I change them. Some of the courses I run aren't tough on the pads, but some of them are pad killers (and tires)! I've never had a problem and the price is fair.

StephF
06-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Hey thanks guys, on behalf of the Funk team. I'm looking forward to new pads so I can stop doing the Fred Flintstone style braking into turns!
:P

ITC Racer
06-21-2006, 01:48 PM
I use and love the hawk blues on my 85 CRX. I believe we get these through Porterfield but are expensive since they are "custom". If you order like 6 sets at a crack, there is a price break.

racer#10
06-21-2006, 02:52 PM
Call Carbotech and ask for Dan Puskar. He understands racing and class useage. He sent me some great pads that are not "rotor eaters" Both my drivers like them better than the old blues and they have lasted for a whole season.

Unsolicited opinion Maurice LaFond

tom91ita
06-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Call Carbotech and ask for ....[/b] anyone. matt hangs out on honda-tech some.

for my itb si, carbotech is wonderful. but to be fair, i saw greg's brakes at the runoffs last year and was also impressed with his rotors, etc.

but i am getting great life out of the carbotechs at tracks like mid-ohio, etc. call them and explain what you have and how you drive, etc. and they will work with you for a recommendation for you, your car, your tires, your tracks, your level of brake ducting, etc.

tom