PDA

View Full Version : For rules trivia buffs

Dave Ebersole
06-15-2006, 10:06 PM
After 4 years of racing I had to stop at the end of the 2003 season. I'm planning to do a driver's school this fall and hopefully get my license back :happy204: . How many IT rule changes have there been since the '03 season that will affect my car (ITB BMW 2002)?

charrbq
06-15-2006, 10:12 PM
For this year, not many, other than check your weight. For next year, the biggest change is the protective bars in the doors for protection. Read the GCR, you're safer that way than reading anything on this site about rules.

Greg Gauper
06-16-2006, 12:20 AM
Besides weight & roll bar issues, the only other items I can think of are belt/harness life, and insulating the kill switch terminals....off the top of my head that is....

I agree with Char...get the online copy of the GCR and go thru it just to be sure.

lateapex911
06-16-2006, 02:13 AM
Not to mention the new cars in your class, like the Accord and Prelude and CRX and Integra, plus the weight changes to other B cars.

Welcome back! I think the 2002s are still running strong in the MARRS series, if I'm not mistaken. I love those cars!

Bill Miller
06-16-2006, 07:39 AM
Hey Dave, nice to see you again!!!! As others have pointed out, the biggest thing that has changed is the side protection. Several cars have had weight changes, to make them better fit the standardized classification process.

Other small things, belts can only be 2 years old, unless you get FIA approved belts. Windows nets are only allowed to release from the top, and drop down. No more nets that flip up onto the roof. You may also want to contact your RE about getting a waiver for the school (unless of course, you just want to run the school). Who knows, you might be able to run the Labor Day dbl this year.

Oh yeah, one big rule change that I forgot to mention. You can stuff a MoTec EMS unit into your stock ECU housing!! :blink: :P

Drop me an email or a PM, would love to catch up.

ddewhurst
06-16-2006, 07:44 AM
Dave, ya can replace your any rubber bushing material with Spherical bearings. :wacko: :blink: :P & ya can weld em in. :cavallo:

joeg
06-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Tow Hooks and SFI padding; insulated Kill Switches; FIA seats do not need a back brace

Dave Ebersole
06-16-2006, 09:24 AM
[attachmentid=467]Thanks for the info, guys. I haven't checked this forum much since I stopped racing and forgot what a good bunch of guys hang out, how helpful you are. I can't wait to get back on the track again, believe me.

Jake, I'm familiar with you a little from Pelican and the Early S Registry. You're right about '02s in the MARRS series. I was at Summit last weekend and there were 6 on the track and 2 other regulars had to miss that weekend.

Bill, I dropped you a PM, bud.

Here's a pic of my car from my last race, the '03 Labor Day Double at Summit. It's a '76 with backdated bumpers.

O=00=O

zracre
06-16-2006, 09:41 AM
cool signature!! Be sure to go to the SCCA website and watch the addedndums for the fastracks...they dont put them in the magazine anymore they are only online.

lateapex911
06-16-2006, 10:07 AM
Dave, ya can replace your any rubber bushing material with Spherical bearings. :wacko: :blink: :P & ya can weld em in. :cavallo:
[/b]

To be more correct, the above phrase might be more accurate if it were written"
"Ya can replace you ANY bushing material with metal sperical bearings & ya can TACK weld them in"

Good point on the window net, but it MUST open down, but it CAN open up, too. No sanse changing the bottom setup if thats the current setup. Nice to have it out of the way completely sometimes.

Dave, I definately recognize your name...whats your pelican handle/car?

I have a yellow '73 911E and an '89 Black S2 (new to the stable..I call it "Shaggy", LOL)

gprodracer
06-16-2006, 12:31 PM
Dave,

As others suggested, check your GCR for anything you need to do, but also SCCA online for all the FasTrack news, as some of the items people have written here are "Proposed only" rules ( the upper release window net among others) and are not required YET. Just make sure you see what is actually required before you spend the $$ on something you don't have to (unless you just want to!!) They have also proposed a passenger side net that hooks to, or near the dashboard, to keep things from flailing around, but nothing is officially required yet.
Welcome back, I had a couple of off years myself, and it's a good feeling to know you can get back into things. :happy204:
Mark Larson
CFR #164010

ddewhurst
06-16-2006, 03:24 PM
***ya can TACK weld them in***

Jake, please provide specificatios for a TACK weld............ :o

Sorry for the tangent Dave it's just something I need to do because of some of the attitudes on this site. ;)

lateapex911
06-16-2006, 05:53 PM
***ya can TACK weld them in***

Jake, please provide specificatios for a TACK weld............ :o

Sorry for the tangent Dave it's just something I need to do because of some of the attitudes on this site. ;)
[/b]

Well David, I have to assume you refer to my attitude when you say that. My "attitude" was merely correcting a mis stated rule.

Define tack weld??? Well, I imagine your strut top that attaches to the firewall is more than a "tack" eh?

Like any other rule, it was decided that there were many possile applications, and that a narrow definition would be improper. So, like many other rules it is left to the process to sort out, should one competitor object that his competitors tack exceeds what he deems proper.

Back you your regularly scheduled thread.

Bill Miller
06-16-2006, 09:30 PM
Would you two get a room already!!

Dave Ebersole
06-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Jake, I meant to add that to my last post. My Pelican and Early S ID is DaveE. I have a '78 SC, a '65 911 and a '65 912, plus a rather ratty 914. The company I work for took our company vehicles from us last year so I've been driving the SC alot, with a big smile. :D

tom91ita
06-16-2006, 11:10 PM
please provide specificatios for a TACK weld............ :o

[/b]

i think it is less than a 1 pound spool of mig wire if i understand the other posts correctly.

ddewhurst
06-17-2006, 07:23 AM
***Well, I imagine your strut top that attaches to the firewall is more than a "tack" eh?***

Naw Jake, my strut top attaches to the fender well/top chassis structure & IIRC those welds are spot welds approx 3/16 diameter & I don't know the penetration integerty of the spot welds. ;)

Bill, life is good with me & I'm sure Jake is ok. Hmmm ??? Jake, you ok ?

Tom, I beleive you are spot on. :D

ddewhurst
06-17-2006, 02:03 PM
Jake, because I am one of the nicer guys in the world (don't think small) I will share my two bed/pool motel room with you at the HPT Runoffs 10/8 through 10/14/2006 & maybe longer if I drive a support vehicle out for Loshak. :D Ya know the place where they leave the light on. :023: