PDA

View Full Version : can someone translate for me ? scca class ?

herby53
06-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Sorry to ask it here , but i am having a hard time classing my car. I have been building it up with hopefully a 2007 season start . but i am also having trouble finding the right class. if someone could please help me out with this , it would be great.
the car is a 90 VW corrado
it has a 2L 16V g60 in it
the motor is what is making it hard for me to figure out .

From what my understanding is , i can remove the forced induction and run the car with a 2L 16v motor in it .
If this is correct , i think i would be in production . ( i think )
the car also has
coil overs and besides that , most is fine per the rules. it also has a after market front bumper and small hood scoop .

If anyone can help out with this , i just dont want to go so far away from the rules that i wont be able to get in a class to run.

thanks for your professional help on this

Bill Miller
06-15-2006, 09:53 PM
Herby,

You can run the car in some Regions in ITE, which is a kind of catch-all class. Keep in mind that you'll be in there w/ twin-turbo Porsches and other such fire breathing monsters.

I believe that the car is eligible for GT2 or GT3 w/ the 2.0 16v motor. You really don't want to go there. GT is essentially a tube-frame shilouette (sp?) class that costs PILES of money. If it was a newer Corrado, w/ a VR6, you could run it in ITS.

My best advice to you is to pick a different car if you want to run Club Racing w/ the SCCA. On the other hand, there's NASA's Performance Touring category, which allows forced induction.

herby53
06-16-2006, 09:53 AM
thank you for that .

seeing as everything is universal on the 4 and 6 cylinders ,i may look for a clean vr6 then . But i never thought of NASA , so i will look into them also . GT doesnt sound like something i would like to run in.

One more thing. Can i swap a vr6 in to my 90 and still run in a ITS class?
That may save me a lot

lateapex911
06-16-2006, 10:32 AM
Technically, I think not. Sorry to say. The rule book requires that any assemblies swapped into the car be listed on a car that is on the same spec line of the GCR.

So, for example, if your car is listed, but has several different transmissions that came as stock over the years of your listing, you can choose which transmission you wish to run.

But your car isn't listed on a spec line, so technically it can't have parts swapped into it. The VIN code is the determining factor here. The idea is to avoid cars that have certain things that are unique advantages. Like if I were to put a normal 944 motor into a 944 turbo body for ITS, I would have better brakes and other things.

That said, there are cars out there that have identical shells where people have done swaps in an effort to save money. Technically the cars aren't legal, but IT racing is self policing, so other racers need to object before anything is done. So if you have a sharp eye, and know your stuff, you can, I am sure, see exceptions to the rule.

The book IS written in a bit of legalese (Although the lawyers are quick to point out they could do much better), and it can prove confusing to many. Keep the questions coming as there are some very bright and knowledgable posters here. The sooner you ask, the easier it will be to guide you. Feel free to PM me if I can clear anything up.

(As an aside, things like aftermarket hood scoops and bumpers are not legal either, but for schools and getting your lic. it's not a huge issue. When you first hit the track, you may get some comments, and certainly if you run well, you will get more. Don't kill yourself and ship a new hood from Germany just to be legal for a school, but it does need to be taken care of when you start racing.

Sometimes begining racers see a car they own, and think that turning it into a racecar will be the most efficient way to get on the track. Most often, the build process is more time and money consuming than they ever imagined. There are advantages to doing a self build over time. You will know the car well, and you can be driving soon if you are a very skilled wrench, although not in a competitive car, necessarily. That said, it is always money ahead to buy a built racecar with a logbook and a good racing history, even if you have to save for a year to do it. It's very common to have a guy plan a year long build, only to finally make it to the track 2 years later, with twice as much invested. Those same hours spent making overtime would have paid for the car, the tires and a year of racing, LOL. Moral of the story? Consider buying a built car to save money)

zracre
06-16-2006, 11:54 AM
What he said :happy204: no really, I just bought a GSR on Ebay ready to race (sans seat/belts/fire ext.) for under 3k...there are lots of cars out there that would cost as much as your new cage alone! I'd suggest looking around at what is there and maybe do a slow build up of your ideal racer after getting a school beater and getting some time and bumps/bruises under your belt. There are a few Rabbit GTI's out there for a steal...

herby53
06-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks guys , this is really helping me and getting me in the direction i need to be in . As far as buying a built car , that is what i will do from now on , but i have built my car over the winter and everything i can take off . the only things i see i would have to add is a fuel cell , fire ext. system, tow hook , and kill switch .
here is a pic of what i have now :

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b142/albriere53/3.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b142/albriere53/cage1.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b142/albriere53/P1002469.jpg

but with not being able to swap a vr6 into it and running in a GT class would be really hard , i think i would have to unbolt everything and move it over to a 92 or higher . mine is a 90 , but 92 shared g60s and vr6 models . but that doesnt do me any good with a 1990.
My front bumper hides my front mount innercooler so with removing the charger , i wouldnt need that bumper anymore . i would just get a used hood for cheap ( $25 ) . Is there any good places to see what is running in the GT classes and see what class i would be in with jut a 2L 16V. and does it matter that the 16V option was not offered in the US ? it was only a option in Canada and Germany .

evanwebb
06-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Dude, unfortunately your car is not even remotely close to being legal for any SCCA class. The first problem is tha the G60 Corrado is not classified in any class in the SCCA. Come to some SCCA events near you and meet some people and let them show first hand what its all about. You need to buy a legal SCCA car from someone initially and get you feet wet in racing. Otherwise you will just spend a bunch of money and still not be able to race your car. If you want to get your Corrado on track then do some driving events like HPDE...

JamesB
06-16-2006, 01:00 PM
You could start out with PDX events (SCCA driver ed) which leads to time trials. But other then running in ITE there really is no place in SCCA for that car. A VR6 would run in ITS and talk to Bildon about building that. They are just wrapping one up that has promising times on the track.

Otherwise get what you can out of the car and buy an ITB golf if you want to stick with the VW family. You can get an MK2 for cheap, or if you poke around you may find an MK3 thats had the big money sunk into it. With racing you will get less then half of what you spend to build a car. So thats why I bought one. In my first season I have already had to rebuild a transmission, and a head and I still have not surpassed what I would have spent to build a car to the level of what I bought.

Now if I could get past the mechanical gremlins and just have to worry about other things.

herby53
06-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Dude, unfortunately your car is not even remotely close to being legal for any SCCA class. The first problem is tha the G60 Corrado is not classified in any class in the SCCA. Come to some SCCA events near you and meet some people and let them show first hand what its all about. You need to buy a legal SCCA car from someone initially and get you feet wet in racing. Otherwise you will just spend a bunch of money and still not be able to race your car. If you want to get your Corrado on track then do some driving events like HPDE...
[/b]

you must of missed something . i have never said i would keep the g60 on it . I enjoy my corrado and want to keep them on the track. i am/ have been doing trackdays and want to move up. I dont know if the cage is legal , but it is a 6 point bolt in auto power. I understand that buying a car is the way to go , and this is the second car i have built. the money i would of saved would be great right now, but i am where i am now so i wanted to work with that i have . The car was built for trackdays and autox , but with reaching a limit of being over kill for autocross , i wanted to move up to something else .

Bill @ bildon has been helping me out for the past 3 years, and it seems that i have to guage what i can sell my car for and what i can get a built logged car for . if it works out to equal or close i will do it . I really would like to keep with the corrado shell ( may not be the best , but it is my thing ).

once again guys ,
THANK YOU for the help .

PS: note , not that anyone said anything , but i want to say on my behalf that i am not a internet racer or street racer and with your help , we will be running together .

JamesB
06-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Some of us know who you are, even if we never competed its kind of hard to ignore the pictures and results that are posted over at Vortex. Some of the regulars on the AX forum regularly come out with me when I am racing. I will tell you its a big move, and my AX/track car just went back to being a weekend bratt for me.

herby53
06-16-2006, 02:14 PM
thanks james .

I am hoping to get it done for a 07 season , ( which ever way i go ) maybe it is do able maybe it will be a 08 season . There is so much for me to learn as far as rules , what i want to be in , and car setup . I tend to over read everything before i start. Plan , plan , plan some more , then do it .

I am getting some great help here and I dont feel like i will run into any bad information here , just support .

Bill Miller
06-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Herby,

That cage won&#39;t fly next year. I suggest one of two things. Either keep you Corrado as a fun toy that you can Auto-X and take to HPDE track days, and buy a built IT race car, or sell your Corrado and buy a built IT race car. I know you&#39;re a long time VW guy (I&#39;m Mk1Racer on Vortex), so I can see why you would want to stay w/ a VW. TONS of options out there! A1 8v cars (<1.8) in ITC, A1 (GTI and Scirocco II), A2, and A3 8v cars in ITB, A2 16v cars in ITA, A3 VR6 cars (and VR6 Corrados) in ITS. Lots of cool cars out there to race, and lots of cool people to race with. Keep your eyes open, and you&#39;ll have several ITB cars to pick from for between $3k and $5k.

herby53
06-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks again , i will just keep my eyes open , there was a vr6 corrado ITS forsale a month ago for ( i think ) 9K .

What about renting a car to get my license ? and do i have to renew it every year ? do you renew by paying a season fee or do I have to driver to renew?

JamesB
06-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Do yourself a favor and download the GCR from scca.org (club racing tab, rules and regulations.) Many of your questions would be answered there. I suggest you read the GCR, and the ITCS since IT racing is where your most interested.

For licensing you need to run 2 races per calendar year before license renewal. If your planning to run the 07 season, the best thing to do is try and find a car this summer and run an HPDE in it at least before you go to a fall drivers school. Then you can do a spring school to meet your permit requirements and be racing in the 07 season.

There have been quite a few updates to the rules, specifically roll cages. To find them you look the same place you look for SCCA autocross chanes, the monthly FasTrack online. Of course after you read this all a few times to understand the rules, post questions, its really how you learn. You can always IM me here or on vortex too, I have the same username there.

good luck figuring it all out and keep asking questions. You will find that even your future compeitition will be more then willing to help you out from now through racing. Setup and driving advice will likely stop about the time your anywhere remotely near them in lap times.

lateapex911
06-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Bill at Bildon will be a huge help to you. Get the GCR,, do some reading, form some questions, then bend his ear for a bit. Might want to pay him for an hour of his time actually. The information you will get will save you 20 times his hourly rate!

herby53
06-16-2006, 09:56 PM
ya , bill has helped me with my last build ( MK2 GTi ) and he has also helped me with some computer stuff for my corrado. He has also been very supportive of the web site i have and the cause.
I have to take a trip to PA to peak around and i will certainly bring lunch for everyone.

I really want to thank you guys and i am gonna give myself a month of reading and then i will come back with more of the right questions.

Allen

lateapex911
06-16-2006, 10:11 PM
LOL...Bills a big web supporter!

16v
06-18-2006, 02:58 AM
Some of us know who you are, even if we never competed its kind of hard to ignore the pictures and results that are posted over at Vortex. [/b]

vortex is everywhere....... :024: :D