PDA

View Full Version : Build an ITS VR6 VW !

Bildon
06-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Well we finally got a full race distance under the belt with the Corrado. :happy204:
Turned the fastest race lap @Nelson on Sunday as well. However the real fast guys were not there.
A fast (RX7, Integra) lap at Nelson is a very low 1:16. The Corrado was able to turn a 1:17.9

So for all those VW guys out there that want to move up, I say build an ITS Corrado or Golf GTI. :023:
It's got quite a bit of motor on many of the others in ITS and making them handle which I thought would be near impossible has turned out better than expected.

We're running our own custom ECU code that I'll make available to any VR6 racers. I have documented proof that it makes more power than the GIAC etc. generic chips.

The car now "turns in" great and we&#39;ve dialed out almost all the understeer. The only understeer I have experienced is when I botch up a corner entry and have to do the "lift, gas, lift, gas, lift, gas boogy". <_<

The high rate springs have tamed the nose heavy VR6 and the clutch diff is awesome. I have yet to spin an inside wheel even in the hairpins at BeaveRun and Nelson!

With proper Hawk Blue or HT10 type race pads and good venting (G60 ducts!) I have had no issues with the brakes either. I&#39;m even able to get heat in the rears which helps warm the wheel and tire and make the back end work...which never happens on our Golf 2.

We&#39;re currently running 205 V710s due to some tire/fender issues but I think a 225 can be shoe-horned in there with the proper offset/spacer/strut/camber combo... It needs the bigger front tire.

There are a lot more things to develop on this car and I see it doing quite well in ITS. So starting gutting the Golfs! :cavallo:

PS - the ITCS weight for the Golf is wrong. It should be 2680 like the Corrado and Jetta.

RSTPerformance
06-13-2006, 04:56 PM
Bill-

Congrats on the success!!! How did you finish...

You probably wont tell us... but how stiff are those springs? What are the corner weights?

Raymond

Bill Miller
06-13-2006, 05:26 PM
Cool news Bill! :023:

And if anything, the Golfs/Jettas should be lighter, as they&#39;re less aerodynamic than a Corrado, kinda like the Sciroccos and the Rabbits. ;)

Knestis
06-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Congrats, Bill - sounds like a great debut.

There&#39;s a semi-abandoned VR6 Golf in the parking lot of a shop about three blocks from my house, that has Cameron drooling over it. And I now know the ins and outs of obtaining a title in NC. :)

K

shwah
06-13-2006, 11:27 PM
Hmm. I have had a well worn 97 GTI VR6 sitting in my driveway for 2 + months. I have been thinking this very thing... The motors can be strong, the handling can&#39;t be all that different than our ITB cars with all the weight on the nose - just need springs and tires tweaked for the added mass.

Congrats on the good outing. Maybe I can talk the owner of this car into letting me turn it into an IT car.

joeg
06-14-2006, 09:34 AM
Bill was a late race arrival and had to start "shotgun" on the field. It certainly fun to watch as he moved up to the top 10 and better as the race progressed.

He simply ran out of time (laps) to challenge the lead ITS cars. Quite the run, however.

ncraft
06-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Bill,

I&#39;m glad to hear the Corrado is starting to work out. I have to admit I&#39;ve been watching you guys and waiting for news. There is a VR6 Corrado sitting in my driveway and I&#39;ve been going back and forth on whether to take the plunge and build an ITS car out of it. If I decide to pull the trigger, you can be sure I&#39;ll be in touch with you.

Mind if I ask what your car weighs right now - did you get it down to minimum weight?

Regards,
Nick Craft
Ellicott City, MD

Bildon
06-15-2006, 04:05 PM
>> did you get it down to minimum weight?

Oh easily. We have to run a pretty full tank and add ballast...but thats a good thing.
We&#39;re taking as much weight out of the front and moving it to the back as legally possible.

Need to find a legal sized lightweight battery. Ideas?

The car feels a lot more like a 200hp A2 Golf now than a nose heavy VR6 Corrado.
We haven&#39;t raced it much but we&#39;ve been doing a lot of test days. We didnt want to develop the car in the middle of an SCCA race...so I&#39;ve been taking the car to BeaveRun when I instruct there.

Build one! It&#39;s definately fun to drive.

http://www.bildon.com/pub/Corrado004sm.jpg