PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Regional

paulydee
06-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Hey gang,

I know Mr. Ruck will be attending the F1 race that weekend, but I wanted to see who will be attending
the Freedom Regional at MidO. Looks like ITS/ITA fun and antics once again with GTL thrown it for who knows what.

Any ITS RX-7's coming down? Look me up in the paddock by the TruChoice booth.

C. Ludwig
06-13-2006, 08:05 PM
Won't be able to make it that weekend. We're running the NASA race the 7-9th.

You ever make it to the dyno Paul?

paulydee
06-13-2006, 08:36 PM
Won't be able to make it that weekend. We're running the NASA race the 7-9th.

You ever make it to the dyno Paul?
[/b]

Unfortunately no. I have other items to attend to on the car before VIR (MazdaDrivers) this coming weekend. If I get lucky I might get to the dyno before MidO. If nothing else I will get HP and torque numbers as a point of reference. Sorry to leave you hanging like that :(

downingracing
06-14-2006, 07:41 AM
I'll be there in ITA. Shawn Hobbs will be there in ITC and Mark Downing (my brother) will be there in FP. Should be a great weekend! Looking forward to being group 4! (Group 1 at grattan is a little early for me!)

x1/9racer
06-14-2006, 05:27 PM
I'll be there in ITC in my x1/9. Hopefully the transmission will stay together longer than 3 laps this time!! :D

dropkick317
06-14-2006, 06:23 PM
I'll be there in ita. I got my door fixed last week and the rest of the car should be ready this weekend.

Eagle7
06-14-2006, 09:03 PM
Not me. Looks like the Brat Bash is my next event.

iagreen
06-14-2006, 09:47 PM
I figure since Kevin won't be there I'll get an artifical bump up a spot so sent in my entry today! :happy204:

Still haven't replaced the tires, brakes and bent pieces after IRP, but I'll get around to it. It'll be fun to run with the new drivetrain at a track where I've at least been before, even if I haven't figured it out.

Racerlinn
06-15-2006, 08:09 AM
I'll be there taking advantage of the free move up of a grid spot thanks to Mr. Ruck as well and the fact that Downing is feeding free beer to everyone in ITA. :birra:
Just gotta find a tow vehicle now..... :unsure:

ITC007
06-15-2006, 09:01 AM
[font=Comic Sans Ms]

I have regitered and if everything goes right I will be there. My brother should have his C car ready as well!!

Anyone know the count for ITC currently?

Devin Box
ITC#12

RacerBill
06-15-2006, 01:03 PM
I am planning to be there. I am expecting a shipment of parts be the end of the week, so I will know better later this week.

Matt: Just spoke to Mark. We'll be up on the hill again, about where we were last September. Will look for you.

For those traveling west from Indy, there is some mild construction in OH on I-70. You might want to start out a little early and plan a stop in New Castle, IN. Look up New Castle Motorsports Park. It's a 1 mile outdoor kart track, borders on the south edge of I-70 right at exit 132. They have sanctioned racing every weekend but do track and kart rentals all the other days. Good fun!

R2 Racing
06-16-2006, 12:01 AM
You guys take care of my trophy, ok? :P I'll be sure to give Ian a call at some point during the weekend to see how everyone did.

As of right now, I'm not positive if my Dad is going to be at the Freedom Regional in ITC yet or not. But I'll pass along that Shawn, Devin, and Devin's brother will all be there in ITC, at least, and he may come out. He's racing my Integra up at Road America this weekend, so think happy thoughts that nothing bad happens to it.

I may still show up at the NASA weekend the 8-9th, but I'll certainly be there for the SCCA weekend the 15-16th.

datadude
06-18-2006, 01:22 PM
Total entries today from on-line is 70. GULP! ITC 4, ITB 3,SM 14, ITA 6, IRS 6

downingracing
06-18-2006, 09:43 PM
The OVR National was down 33% on entries... Hopefully the Regionals won't suffer like the nationals have by the runoffs moving! Either way, we will have a GREAT time! :birra:

R2 Racing
06-19-2006, 07:23 AM
Is that the number of entries received "on-line" only? Also, there's still a couple of weeks left to register, which is when most people will.

datadude
06-19-2006, 07:38 AM
The 70 is on-line only. Most entries, across the board are down also.

Racerlinn
06-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Well, I have stolen a Silverado SS tow vehicle so I just made Group 4 jump to 19 cars and the total on-line entry to 88.

downingracing
06-23-2006, 09:22 AM
110 entries. 13 ITA, 8 ITB, 3 ITC and 10 ITS. I'll be wife-less for some time on Friday night, so feel free to stop by for a beer. I'm going to bring a few 12 packs and they will be nice and cold! Lets make them be gone BEFORE she gets there (late Friday night)! I'll be up on the hill with the "downingracing.com" on the side of the enclosed trailer. We will probably have a fire going too - weather permitting.

iagreen
06-23-2006, 10:27 AM
I'll probably be up by you Matt. I'm going up alone so I should paddock next to someone I can steal tools from. And you know, beer sounds good. I plan to head up Friday and probably not leave till Sunday. Yeah I live close, but that's my way to battle the gas-crisis. Maybe I should pick up that in-bed tent before then.

dropkick317
06-23-2006, 09:09 PM
I will also be alone, but I would like to have pavement under my feet so I will be some where in that fenced in area by truechoice. But you can count me in for some beer. Also if anyone has time I could sure use some help setting up my canopy.

paulydee
06-24-2006, 09:23 AM
Scott,

I will be getting there Friday afternoon and since I park by TruChoice as well I can help you setup your canopy, even if you are an ITA driver :D I'll be with the black ITS RX-7 #73, come look for me.

Pauly D

downingracing
06-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Hopefully we don't have weather like this: http://www.grandamerican.com/News/Article.asp?ID=6683

I thought we had it bad a few years ago... Check out the pictures from Thursday - The wind rolled a 5th wheel on its side!

See ya all next weekend!

RacerBill
06-26-2006, 12:39 AM
Matt: See you up on the hill. I registered on Wednesday - wanted to wait and see how the car was comming together. Looks like everything is ok - I get wheel rotation in all gears. If Thursday's work goes well, I am going to shake down at Columbus Motor Speedway late on Thursday.

Racerlinn
06-26-2006, 03:13 PM
Anybody else see this?

http://matt.nfscheats.com/videos/sportscars/Handcrash.wmv

Uh - that's not good.

downingracing
06-27-2006, 07:34 AM
Yea - We def. need to take a walk over there Friday night and see if the track has made any changes... Hopefully they have 'filled' the hole or 'level' the grass to road transition.

Racerlinn
06-27-2006, 08:53 AM
Somebody please go take a look. I won't be rolling in until O' dark thirty on Saturday morning (I'll honk when I come by your rig Downing) so I will be very interested to hear about what people see there.

R2 Racing
06-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Just so you guys know, I'm expecting to hear stories of a Scott, Ian, Steve, and Matt shootout! Get to it, and create good in car video for my viewing enjoyment. :D

Oh yea, and no one go off drivers right down the backstraight. :blink:

Racerlinn
06-27-2006, 11:36 AM
I'll try my hardest to give Downing the finger. :018:
I doubt I will see Scott and Ian except at the start as the motor away from me! :wacko:

downingracing
06-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Yea - the only shot I have at seeing those guys is when they come around to lap me! I did remove the flapping rocker covers, so it should be easier to get around me... Man am I pumped to get back on the track! :cavallo: And I'd love to see the finger again - that just got me more motivated than you can imagine!! (But you know I'll do it to you the first chance I get :P )

R2 Racing
06-27-2006, 11:31 PM
I doubt I will see Scott and Ian except at the start as the motor away from me! :wacko:
[/b]
....says the guy who can motor me down the straights. :cavallo:

downingracing
06-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Finally got loaded up by Midnight last night! Allignment is done and I'm ready to have FUN! The cooler is packed and I've got the 'guest' beers on ice. :D Should be at the track by 5:00pm. Hopefully earlier - I really don't want to be at work right now!!!!! It is :birra: time!

iagreen
06-30-2006, 12:32 PM
So we'll make the six-pack track walk at about 6?

Racerlinn
06-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Well, when you're arriving I'll just be leaving Indy.
See everyone on the morning. Have some extra beers for me. :015:

downingracing
06-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Yea - 6 sounds about right. I don't plan to walk the whole track, just over to the 'ramp'. And don't worry Steve, we will still be drinking by the time you get there :cavallo:

R2 Racing
06-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Well, when you're arriving I'll just be leaving Indy.
See everyone on the morning. Have some extra beers for me. :015:
[/b]
Geez Steve, it's only like a 3.5 hour drive! Put the pedal to the metal and get some good practice in before you get to the track!

If anyone cares, me and four friends have 1507.2oz of beer on hand for our trip to Indy this weekend. That's 31.4 beers a piece. :birra:

Eagle7
07-03-2006, 12:28 AM
So, have they changed the "launch pad"?

What effect have the track changes had on lap times?

downingracing
07-03-2006, 07:58 AM
Large stacks of tires in front of the ramp. The new surface was GREAT! I was worried about having no patches to reference, but the track is smooth and FUN! I don't know about anyone else, but I bested my personal best time by 1.8 seconds! (And I know I've got a few turns that I can still improve on.) Ran a 1:48.5 in qual. on Sun. and a 1:47.6 in the race! Can't wait to get the F/D installed and maybe spend the $$ for some 'real' suspension!

It was GREAT seeing everyone! I really enjoy running in ITA. Great people! Looking forward to doing it again! And Ian, glad you're OK.

Eagle7
07-03-2006, 09:00 AM
Large stacks of tires in front of the ramp. [/b]
Head-on into a tire wall at 120 MPH?

WIZARD Racing
07-03-2006, 10:00 PM
WOW!! what a great weekend of racing!! Ok, any weekend of racing is great. I saw a few farmiliar faces and met some new & interesting people (ITB Pintos rock!!!). Plus I got to stand in some BMW divots!!

I'd like to thank the Cincy Region for putting on the event, and my fellow drivers in group 4/5. I had some great racing with Steve Linn in the 1st part of Saturday's race, then spent the 2nd half chasing Phil's orange RX7. I improved my best lap by over a second also (once I put the Kumhos back on the car). Sunday I put the Toyos on the car for the whole day and just couldn't get as fast.

The trip out there was decent too. No traffic, no flood detours, no troubles. I figure the track is about a 770 mile tow for me (one way). I got home about 6:30am today. I only stopped for a 45 min nap in Conn because my crew was supposed to work today.

I hope to get back out there in within the next 2 years (planning on VIR for my long haul next year) and race with you fine people again.

RacerBill
07-04-2006, 01:45 AM
Glad to hear that everyone in Group 4/5 had a great time. This weekend seamed to be another development session for us. Got tied up putting the finishing touches on the trailer on Thursday, and replacing suspect brake lines on Friday, so we missed annual tech on Friday. But we were able to get an early start on Sat. morning.

Shift linkage issues are seem to be fixed. So, now that the car gets up to speed, the fuel has decided to become the current problem. A friend who watched my in-car video suggested that I might have an issue with the float levels. Hard to diagnose when the car is not moving. But in the course of cleaning out the garage today, I found a collection of fuel system (filters) stuff that's going to get installed before September.

But the good news, the car rolled onto the trailer at the end of the weekend and back off and into the garage. Got a lot of track time (compared to my lst weekend), and picked up my first race finish. Which is saying a lot for having a car that refused to make left turns without turning the engine off.

Thanks to all for not taking my front fenders off (although a couple of times, you came close). I don't think I saw anyone shake a fist at me, and I tried to stay out of everyone's way and let you race (I will have a nice new set of red gloves before September!).

Ian, great to see you back on the hill after the race. That was some hit.

Wish I could be at the Brat Bash in two weeks, but other obligations have precedence.

See you all in September!

Racerlinn
07-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Yep, a really large stack of tires now protects everyone from the Evel Knievel jump. I think around 90mph or so at that particular spot for me. I guess MO's thought was that they would rather have you test your frontal impact skills rather than your flipping skills. I have to assume this will be fixed properly later on.

Fun weekend for me as well even though I pulled a boner 3 laps in to quals Saturday morning and stuck up to the axles in gravel at the end of the backstretch. Sheesh. Still not sure what happened, it just snapped on me. Never did it the rest of the weekend. Thanks to everyone for not duplicating my effort and smacking my car as it sat there the rest of the session. One of the ITE Porsches had me pretty nervous as he was pretty sideways a few times there. I had some issue picking up my points on track without the concrete, and I really don't have a very good feel for the track yet anyway. After starting DFL on the field for Saturdays race, had fun with Buddy and Phil, but never really set a decent lap. Best was only a 1:55 I think. It was really fun with Phil as his RWD line and my FWD line made for some interesting corners!
Sunday was better in that I didn't dump it in a trap but still only qual'd a 1:55 (last years worn Kumhos were not really helping). Had a crappy start in the race Sunday and eventually ended up with no one around me after a few laps, so I took the opportunity to try some new things on track. T&S had me down to a 1:50 during the race so I guess I figured some things out. I'll be interested to see the mylaps data. Unfortunately my video did not run during Sundays race.

Ian, waiting to hear about what happened on the backstretch. That was nasty and you had us all pretty worried as we came by. That dust cloud was enormous. I couldn't see anything so I just followed the guy in front of me hoping he knew or would clear a path! :(

Kevin, I think I drank about 31.4 beers myself between Friday and Sunday. :o
The thunderstorms and wind Saturday night didn't help much as my pup-tent felt like it was going to take flight!

RacerBill
07-04-2006, 11:24 PM
Steve: I don't know if Ian posts here or not, don't remember him. Matt spent more time with him after the race, helping get the car secured on the trailer.

What I caught of the conversation was that Ian was racing another car, Ian was on driver's right. He said that he thought he was clear and moved left for Turn Seven. But he was not, hit the other car, and turned ninety degrees right and into the world on driver's left. The other car ended nose pointing at Ian's driver's door, but did not actually hit him. Very lucky.

About the Evel Knievel jump (also known as the new turn-offs), my engine decided to act up along the back straight and I decided to park on the north turnoff. First thing I noticed is that all the guardrail in the vacinity is protected on BOTH sides with tires. The second was that flag station five was moved from the infield to the outside of the track, operating out of the Pro start tower. There are really not any good places to pull off there. Best you can do is stay left, pull off near a corner station if you can't make it to eight.

By the way, Steve, about your spin Saturday morning. As I was going down the back straight, Station Five was displaying a stationary yellow. As I approached the station, the flagger withdrew the yellow (or at least, turned the flag so that the flat side of the flag was not visible). When he withdrew the flag, I assumed the track was clear. What a surprise when I came over the hill and found two cars in China Beach! They usually leave the flag up for at least one lap, and I had not seen the incident before that. That may explain the Porsche.

Do you have any video at all of the weekend? I would love to see my car on the track from outside the car.

Well, got to go for now. Take care!

R2 Racing
07-04-2006, 11:33 PM
Ian does have some in car footage of the incident but it's up to him if he wants to post it or not. Luckily he was fine after that shot because it looked damn hard from the video. He was pretty sore all over yesterday but is feeling quite a bit better today already (he's one of my roommate's in case you didn't know, that's how I know all of this :P ). Right now the car is sitting in my shop awaiting a complete teardown for salvagable parts. It'll probably be this weekend or next and we're expecting to only have to scrap the chassis and the cage since everything else looks ok. It'll need one new wheel and maybe a shock rebuild, but that's pretty minimal all things considered. So does anyone know of any straight, not rusted out CRX tubs for sale?

Steve, on your tow home did you happen to notice a blue E36 M3, a maroon Impreza 2.5RS, and a white RSX-S going the other way just east of Dayton? That was me and some friends driving back from Indy. I even waived! :D

Racerlinn
07-05-2006, 09:37 AM
Bill, my stupid camera only ran for Saturday's race and Sunday's qual session (I guess it's good I missed my beach escapade Saturday morning). I haven't had a chance to review it, I'll see what I can pull off for you.

Kevin, I actually thought about you at one point when I was getting tired of counting red Ferrari's coming from the west. Sorry I didn't wave back.

And I never even got the chance to give Downing the finger all weekend...

x1/9racer
07-05-2006, 09:41 AM
Ian, I have a line on a pair of second gen crx shells here in the Dayton area. I don't know anything about them, but the price is right(free or close to it!). Call me on my cell if you're interested, and I can go out to look at them for you. 937-671-0405.

R2 Racing
07-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Ian, I have a line on a pair of second gen crx shells here in the Dayton area. I don't know anything about them, but the price is right(free or close to it!). Call me on my cell if you're interested, and I can go out to look at them for you. 937-671-0405.
[/b]
Thanks, Shawn. I'll give Ian a call and tell him to check in here and with you.

Kevin, I actually thought about you at one point when I was getting tired of counting red Ferrari's coming from the west. Sorry I didn't wave back.[/b]
Yea, there was definately a lot of nice cars driving down the highway around then. By the time I got into Columbus, I got into a caravan with three other E36 M3's, none of which knew eachother. It was fun!

ITC007
07-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Sounds like it was a great weekend, I had to miss due to a scheduling of a funeral for a Marine killed in Iraq. That is part of my job. How was the weather? It showed that it was going to thunderstorm through out the weekend. Glad to hear it all went well.

datadude
07-10-2006, 05:34 PM
Finally got an AMB file. All files are posted on Mylpas.com. Go to Neohio and find the Cincy event. It is listed only as one event on AMB but it really is two.

paulydee
07-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Thanks datadue,

BTW, could you refresh my memory as to how they come up with the speed stat?

Pauly D

datadude
07-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Speed is done automatically by the AMB system based on 2.28 miles the region used as the length of the course.