PDA

View Full Version : Heartland Park Topeka

cherokee
06-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Has anyone had a chance to check this place out after all the changes? I only got to make 3...well 2 1/2 laps before the Opel went boom, But the difference in this place is nothing short of amazing. I think that they have done a fantastic job there in a very short time. I was just wondering what other folks where thinking about the "new" track.

JIgou
06-14-2006, 12:40 PM
I've been going there for 8 years now, driving it for 5, and the change is incredible.

The surface is smooth. The curbs are smooth. MOST of the turns feel different because of the track surface/FIM curbing combination.

They still have work to do, but it's looking awesome so far--

Jarrod

itmanta
06-14-2006, 10:03 PM
Don't want to thread jack, but what happened to the Opel?

mustanghammer
06-14-2006, 11:33 PM
Has anyone had a chance to check this place out after all the changes? I only got to make 3...well 2 1/2 laps before the Opel went boom, But the difference in this place is nothing short of amazing. I think that they have done a fantastic job there in a very short time. I was just wondering what other folks where thinking about the "new" track.
[/b]

I wondered where you went. Sorry to hear about the motor.

I guess I qualify as a homer but DAMN that was fun! In fact I would have to say my drive on Sunday was one of the most enjoyable times I have ever spent behind the wheel. I didn't want it to end!

The Runoff's configuration is allot of fun and the track surface is AMAZING. I really enjoyed the carosel (selling?) and the turn 4 and 5 sequence. The turn 1 (to the right) and turn 2 sequence has excellent rythme and should be a passing zone to watch.

I don't think I heard a negative comment about the facility all weekend.

We have a double regional coming up in July. I would sure love to see some IT cars! Come on down!

cherokee
06-15-2006, 02:28 PM
I will be there in July, not with the Opel but the MR2. In reguards to the Opel....motor went :dead_horse:
It was just tired and died. Oh well gives me something to do over the winter.

I am with you the people that I talked to thaught that it was a fantastic place. It is not a picture-esque as Mid-Ohio, but I think the racing might be better. I think more people will be there, heck there was an IT car from AZ. there. I would love to hear what the Nat. guys think about it now. In talking to the guys that parked us that was the biggest turn out so far...over 300 cars. They only had some small problems (power and such) It was great there was some very cool cars there. I can't wait for the runnoffs. T1 Ferrari's Oh boy it will be fun. And close enough I can go almost every day. :happy204:

BMW RACER
06-15-2006, 03:32 PM
The most important question:

Is the Golden Horseshoe still there? A great topless bar, if you're into bruises, missing teeth and cigarette burns!!

downingracing
06-16-2006, 09:54 AM
...The Runoff's configuration is allot of fun and the track surface is AMAZING. I really enjoyed the carosel (selling?) and the turn 4 and 5 sequence. The turn 1 (to the right) and turn 2 sequence has excellent rythme and should be a passing zone to watch...[/b]

Interesting how local SCCA regions in Ohio were NOT allowed to run the RunOff's configuration during the year (to keep the locals from having that much more of an edge...)! But that rule no longer exists - hmmmmm. :unsure:

lateapex911
06-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Yes, that was my understanding too...that local events would run a different configuration, so that most drivers would be at the same point on the learning curve.

I would think that that would mean no regional or National SCCA races would run that configuration.

I thought that was a good idea...what happened????

JIgou
06-16-2006, 10:22 AM
What happened is other groups in the area renting the track - BMWCCA, PCA, etc - were running the full course, and were actively marketing to SCCA members - "Run the full Runoffs course with our group!!!!!!"

The local SCCA race group discussed this with SCCA National and was able to get an allowance to run the full course to help reduce the impact that these other groups were having on the SCCA.

Jarrod

downingracing
06-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Same problem that SCCA regions had with other clubs running Mid-Ohio - BMW, Porsche, NASA... Didn't matter - still couldn't do it. I'd bet there is more to it than just that... :( just my .02˘

charrbq
06-16-2006, 11:13 AM
I think the SCCA is having a harder time selling this track to the competitors than originally thought. A lot of the same fears happened when they moved the Runoffs from Atlanta to Mid Ohio. After a while, everyone's fears were put aside. The same will happen here.

The only complaints I've heard about the track (from those who ran it several yrs ago), was that it was flat and in the middle of nowhere. From down here, it's not easy to get to, but the same held for Atlanta and Ohio if you lived anywhere west of Kansas.

The Runoffs will always be compared to where ever they used to be. It will grow...I hope. They've invested a lot of our club money in making it work, so it'd better.

Even still, its less than what the Pro arm of the club has spent from the club's treasury.

ddewhurst
06-16-2006, 03:10 PM
When I read the HPT posts since last weekend on the Production site all that's posted has been very positive about the track, the buildings & everything else about the site & area. Go do a little reading at www.coloradoscca.org/prodcar.

***I thought that was a good idea...what happened????***

The secret of the Secret Car Club of America got changed................. :unsure:

With reference to the track configuration, winners always win while others complain. I do not do Solo but don't they have a new course about every weekend when they do time trials ? They adapt in a HURRY. ;)

tnord
06-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Same problem that SCCA regions had with other clubs running Mid-Ohio - BMW, Porsche, NASA... Didn't matter - still couldn't do it. I'd bet there is more to it than just that... :( just my .02˘
[/b]

nope, there isn't. i can't speak for what went on in the BOD meetings, but i was at the Race Group meetings where this was discussed. The original plan most definitely was to keep it as a runoffs only configuration. The BMW club had the first event of the year there because the one they had scheduled at the end of last year got canceled to start construction. They then started sending out mailers to SCCA members advertising exactly what jarrod said.

After that discussions were in place for about a month how the problem would be approached. The idea was brought up to ask Ray Irwin to not allow any other groups to use the full course, but i think they were already under contract. That would've been a bully manuever and probably not done a lot for our PR. It was decided that these other groups running the full course would cost the region a BUNCH of money in lost entries, and it was decided to ask the BOD to allow the region to run the full runoffs config. they gave the region approval, and that was that.

that's how i remembering it happening at least.

downingracing
06-18-2006, 09:40 PM
nope, there isn't. i can't speak for what went on in the BOD meetings, but i was at the Race Group meetings where this was discussed. The original plan most definitely was to keep it as a runoffs only configuration. The BMW club had the first event of the year there because the one they had scheduled at the end of last year got canceled to start construction. They then started sending out mailers to SCCA members advertising exactly what jarrod said.

After that discussions were in place for about a month how the problem would be approached. The idea was brought up to ask Ray Irwin to not allow any other groups to use the full course, but i think they were already under contract. That would've been a bully manuever and probably not done a lot for our PR. It was decided that these other groups running the full course would cost the region a BUNCH of money in lost entries, and it was decided to ask the BOD to allow the region to run the full runoffs config. they gave the region approval, and that was that.

that's how i remembering it happening at least.
[/b]

The reason I said there was more to it is because we had the same issue at Mid-Ohio. "too bad..." But when the 'new' runoffs track (in the back yard) has the same issue, its OK?!?!? I just don't get it. It also doesn't matter if I get it. Our national was down about 33% this year. The #1 reason I was given for the poor attendance was "I'm not going to the runoffs, so I'm only doing the events close to home - or the events I want ..." You get the idea.

I've got a few friends who are trying to qualify for the runoffs and if they make it, I might head out to lend a hand. Otherwise, I'll just read about it online. :D

tnord
06-18-2006, 10:37 PM
The reason I said there was more to it is because we had the same issue at Mid-Ohio. "too bad..." But when the 'new' runoffs track (in the back yard) has the same issue, its OK?!?!? I just don't get it. It also doesn't matter if I get it. Our national was down about 33% this year. The #1 reason I was given for the poor attendance was "I'm not going to the runoffs, so I'm only doing the events close to home - or the events I want ..." You get the idea.

I've got a few friends who are trying to qualify for the runoffs and if they make it, I might head out to lend a hand. Otherwise, I'll just read about it online. :D
[/b]

i'm sure you did have the same issue at mid-ohio, and i can't say why your region didn't/wasn't allowed to run the runoffs config. all i know are the public discussions that took place at the Race Group meetings, i have no idea what went on behind closed doors.

:birra:

lateapex911
06-19-2006, 12:35 AM
The Runoffs will likely be significantly down this year. But, that alone will inspire new guys to see a chance, and the numbers will spring back.

I wasn't aware that Mid Ohio had a significantly different layout that could be used to erase the advantage of local knowledge.

charrbq
06-19-2006, 02:46 PM
The Runoffs will likely be significantly down this year. But, that alone will inspire new guys to see a chance, and the numbers will spring back.

I wasn't aware that Mid Ohio had a significantly different layout that could be used to erase the advantage of local knowledge.
[/b]
I'll agree with part of that. As in Mid Ohio's first years, some said, "No Way", while a few give it a chance. I only got to crew the first year...'94. Enty was about the same as Atlanta, and grew every year afterward. Some of the older classes my be down, but with the inclusion of Spec Miata as a National class, it most likely will set new records. As with a lot of entry numbers used in these forums, it will be declared a resounding success.
Unless something significantly goes wrong, it will do just fine. I'm only saddened that "The Olympics of Motorsport Racing" will be put on display at what many feel is a less than world class venue.

The only thing I was aware of that could change at Mid Ohio was the inclusion/exclusion of the notch in the keyhole. Over the years, that was added/removed. Speaking of changes, does anyone remember the ridiculous chicane added to the back straight at Road Atlanta to offset the horsepower vs. handling advantages of some of the classes? If so, did you ever sit in amazement at the "crash follies" that took place there?

tnord
06-19-2006, 07:40 PM
From Speedtv.com

There were more than a few questions heading into last weekend’s SCCA Club Racing National event at Heartland Park Topeka. The venue. The facilities. The track itself. Club Racers from all over the United States wanted to see their competition program’s new championship home, and, more importantly, see it in action.

As the weekend played out, and eight groups (seven national, one regional) featuring nearly 300 drivers from over half the United States (and one from Canada) took in a long look at their surroundings, the variety of questions seemed to, for the most part, melt into one, unified conclusion as the Heavenly Hazel’s Kaw Valley Sprints XVIII drew to a close at Heartland Park (HPT).

“I love the track,” said Formula Mazda driver Doug Yanda, of Westminster, Colo., who finished sixth in class in his first trip to Heartland Park Topeka. “It is smooth. I was at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah, and I like this one a little better than that.”

That general positive sentiment concerning HPT was shared by many, including another driver who made an even farther trek than Yanda to take a peek at the SCCA National Championship Runoffs new home.

“It is different, but it’s fun,” said Mike Henderson, of El Cajon, Calif., who finished second in the GT-3 race. Henderson, who started on the pole in the 2003 Runoffs GT-3 race, admitted he entered the weekend not knowing what to expect. “All I knew is what I saw on the map. I knew it was in Kansas. We got here and found the place has nice facilities.”

As smooth as the weekend ran, there were scattered comments that some aspects of the venue needed a little bit more touch-up before the Runoffs later this year.

That detail didn’t escape Heartland Park owner Raymond Irwin, who split time between his official and racing duties by driving in GT-1.

“Although we have completed a lot of buildings and paving in preparation for the Runoffs coming to Heartland Park Topeka, there is still work to be done before October,” Irwin said. “We're confident that the next time racers come to our facility they will continue to be impressed with our progress and completion of other projects."

While there was no mention of specifics, Irwin said that ideas in terms of how and what would be done in the future would be made with participants in mind.

"We received plenty of feedback from the racers,” Irwin said. “And we will work to make their next trip to Heartland Park Topeka that much more enjoyable."

cherokee
06-20-2006, 02:25 PM
You just can not judge HPT from anytime before last year to what the place is like now. Granted I only made 3 laps but like others have said it is smooth, nice curbs, fantastic buildings...it goes on and on. The place was so bad in years past I was going to give up going there. I got tired of dodging more pot holes then there is on I-70.

There is "some" elevation change, and having been to MO and HPT. I think that HPT is on the way to becoming a world class venue. It is not there yet but if things keep going the way they are I would say that there is a chance to get pro-sports car events there....it is that nice. This is all said as I was at MO before they re-surfaced the track there. The only think I think Topeka lacks is the picture-esque beauty of MO.

And if you say that Topeka is in the middle of nowhere, someone want to tell me about Lexington. You are closer to Kansas City, then you where to anyplace in OH.

All I am saying is that if you have not been there give it a chance. Everyone that I had/have talked to that RAN on the track SAW and USED the new buildings and what not, love the place and have nothing but good things to say about it.

Like I told one friend from Texas, go it is worth the long tow. You will not be unhappy. A fun track to drive and a nice place to visit.