PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover bolt issue

RacerBill
06-11-2006, 10:29 PM
OK, I was trying to remedy an apparent oil leak on the top end of the motor (oil residue on the intake manifold next to the motor, but none on the exhaust manifold - burns off?)

As I installed the cover, I discovered that one bolt on the right rear of the head is stripped to the point where it will not tighten.

Possible options are: 1) reinstall the bolt with blue loctite or 2) fill the hole with some liquid metal, drill and tap the new hole (assuming that I have the correct tap).

Opinions?

Thanks.

lateapex911
06-12-2006, 02:36 AM
Helicoil?

billf
06-12-2006, 09:37 AM
Helicoil, and my recommendation is to install studs. Then using nuts, use a "spreader bar"...available at parts stores everywhere. It will distribute the tension away from the bolt hole. I have used them for years on a sheet metal valve/cam cover.

Good racing.

Bill :024:

RacerBill
06-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Tried to find helicoils - thread too small.

I could use a stud, but this particular fastener is double threaded, one end goes in the block and holds the valve cover, the other end secures the top of the timing belt cover.

I am using spreaders that were original equipment with these covers.

Thanks for the suggestions.

In the words of Paul Newman in Slap Shot, I'll take "all I can get!!!!!"

tom_sprecher
06-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Helicoil kits go down to a #4 screw. How small are these bolts?

Helicoil Web Site (http://www.emhart.com/products/helicoil/repkit.asp)

Matt Rowe
06-12-2006, 06:54 PM
Bill,

I dealt with this before on these motors. My advice is to get the helicoil kit and either do all 4 corners now or keep the kit handy. The size you are looking for is M6.0x1.0 if my memory is right. I might be off on the thread pitch but I believe that is what I used last week on my motor. DId I mention that all four corners are now done?

RacerBill
06-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Matt: M6x1.0 sounds right. I used a die to clean the threads on the top portion of the bolt (timing belt cover).