PDA

View Full Version : How to Avoid the Hack

Greg Amy
06-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Since I cannot reply to any of the existing topics, I had to start a new one...

There are two easy ways to avoid having a problem with this forum exploit:

1) Stop using Internet Explorer. I use Firefox and I had no clue there was a problem with the board until Webmaster locked us out.

2) If you insist on running Internet Explorer then RIGHT NOW do the following:
- Open Tools/Options/Security
- Open Restricted Sites
- Add *.traffsale1.biz to the list

If this happens again with another site, add that site to the list.

fairgentleman Z
06-02-2006, 08:33 AM
1) Stop using Internet Explorer. I use Firefox and I had no clue there was a problem with the board until Webmaster locked us out.
[/b]

I am visiting my parents for the week and couldn't open with IE. My first solution was to download and use Firefox, worked like a charm.

It can be downlaoded from google, you can just download Firefox and nothing else.......
http://pack.google.com

imported_Webmaster
06-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Be careful that FireFox was not simply failing to prompt you about the Java download as IE was.

gsbaker
06-02-2006, 08:46 AM
...My first solution was to download and use Firefox, worked like a charm...[/b]
August will mark two years of using Firefox. Perfectly happy with it.

Slightly OT: Anyone tried the new OpenOffice 2.0 yet? Wow. It might be a good time to sell MS stock.

JamesB
06-02-2006, 09:00 AM
I could browse with FF, but it dispises playing nice with sun java. So none of my work tools are happy with it I run IE. But with IE locked down properly along with an up to date virus scan system in place it blocked it for me automatically ever time I hit the site.

Ron Earp
06-02-2006, 09:18 AM
I agree with you Greg, I like Firefox. After switching completely (I'd been using both for awhile) I'm hooked on it, features, and how it doesn't have as many issues as IE. The tab feature is awesome, and having all eight of my frequently used sites bookmarked as the home Page loads them all up - at the same time - allowing me to tab through them quickly to get my internet fix. I'm sure IE will copy these features and others on their next release.

R

turboICE
06-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Uhm OK on the IE bashing, fine.

First the hack was into the code of the forum pages - the problem on the server side had to be addressed.

Second the attack on visitors was an exploit that was patched and it wouldn't have harmed current systems only out of date ones. But protected IE systems are the ones that actually provided an indication the hack occurred - firefox would not have been exploited but then again if everyone was using firefox the code probably would still be in the forum. What's to say the exploit that was used to put the code in the server wouldn't eventually be used to put in an exploit on Firefox? Now the server exploit was addressed.

gsbaker
06-02-2006, 12:46 PM
...What's to say the exploit that was used to put the code in the server wouldn't eventually be used to put in an exploit on Firefox?...[/b]
Right. I just enjoy the hackers spending 0.00001% of their time targeting FF.

JamesB
06-02-2006, 02:17 PM
if FF was mainstream and IE not, they would spend more time on it. supply and demand.

ITANorm
06-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Luckily, McAfee slammed the trojans (5 under different names) as soon as I tried to login. I waited several days before I logged in again!

charrbq
06-05-2006, 08:02 AM
Ditto with Norton. I couldn't get in, but they couldn't get me, either. I just waited for a while to stir the pot.

itmanta
06-09-2006, 09:19 PM
I have also used firefox on numerous machines over the last 2-3 years and much enjoyed many of it's features. unfortunately there were some incompatabilities that led me to switch back. Anyway, I use AVG free on all my machines and It alerted and protected my machines form any problems.