PDA

View Full Version : Neon Basics

backformore
05-29-2006, 04:25 PM
I'm sure this has been covered in other posts, but now that people have had a little while with ITA Neons, I'd be interested to see the answers all in one place.

1. Any specific issues to look out for or be aware of?

2. SOHC or DOHC?

3. Assuming ACR SSC donor, any year better or worse? (Of course, you can back date/update some stuff)

4. How is the availability of stock parts?

5. Aftermarket/Performance parts?

I'm looking at an inexpensive SSC donor that will be a license keeper/track day car but I am interested in the potential or limitations of increased levels of preparation.

Thanks alot.

ITAntNeon
05-31-2006, 09:05 PM
All I can say to this is that we are all asking the same questions. I am looking at the package from the stand point of a 95 neon owner from new, avid autocrosser, and track day runner. I am a DOHC fan and will push in that direction. Others will push the SOHC. We will see where the paths take us soon enough.

Still if you just look at the numbers the car should be very competitive if we get the setup right. The big issue is the massive min weight requirement for the car. If you want a quick sure competitive car then find a clean SpeedSource RX-7 or a well prepared CRX. :)

Or join us in developing the future for this car in IT competition. The more folks researching how to get speed out of the neon the better.

backformore
06-01-2006, 06:22 AM
I guess I'm joining you in the developing. I decided to buy a former SSC car. Initially it will just be a license keeper and a car that I can take to track days and give folks rides or let them drive. The car was so inexpensive I couldn't pass it up.

Plus, I'm looking forward to being able to establish a baseline and see the improvement as changes are made. I'm thrilled that there seems to be an active group of enthusiastic Neon folks out there. I hope there will be lots of Neons to race with, even if we start out racing for the back of the pack.

I will keep watching this space for info and will add any insight that I can come up with.

For the record, the car I'm buying is a 95 ACR SOHC sedan with the updated Koni suspension kit.

Rabbit07
06-01-2006, 08:58 AM
The Neon is a good car. I finished 2nd on Sat and 3rd on Sunday this last weekend at Grattan in a 95 4 door. In time this will be one of the cars to have.

I like the SOHC, it is more dependable. The DOHC can make more power though.

Parts are readily available from the dealer or parts store.

Performance parts are available, but not like they used to be.

backformore
06-02-2006, 06:38 AM
Unfortunately, after several days of conversing with the seller, putting a check in the mail, and making other expensive commitments to arrange to pick up the car (it's 1000 miles from where I live), 2 days after I agreed to buy the car and he agreed to sell it, he sent an email saying he had changed his mind and decided not to sell it.

Needless to say, I was not happy. Of course, I am still committed to the tow vehicle I purchased 1000 miles from my home (it was near the race car) so I will be making that trip later this month. Sometimes people really suck.

Anyway, maybe I'll be in a Neon in the future, maybe I won't.

Thanks for the info

ShelbyRacer
06-02-2006, 07:13 AM
I'm sure this has been covered in other posts, but now that people have had a little while with ITA Neons, I'd be interested to see the answers all in one place.

1. Any specific issues to look out for or be aware of?
[/b]

Front hubs (be sure to get ACR), front suspension bushings (watch the rule on spherical bearings), wheel/tire size limitations in rear (get spacers and long wheel studs), motor mounts suck, and I'm sure I'll think of more.

Oh yeah, the normal cold air intakes require slight movement of the battery, which isn't allowed. I'm working on a solution for that one...

2. SOHC or DOHC?
[/b]

Single cam as of right now. Better weight (DOHC is 200lb penalty) and better response to IT engine prep.

3. Assuming ACR SSC donor, any year better or worse? (Of course, you can back date/update some stuff)
[/b]

97-99 is all the same, while 96 and 95 have a few specific parts, so I'd build the later years for more availability.

4. How is the availability of stock parts?
[/b]

Good overall, but it ain't no Miata with $18 dealer fenders...

5. Aftermarket/Performance parts?
[/b]

On the decline unfortunately. Most MP parts are NS1 (no longer serviced) but most standard hardcore race parts can be made to work.

I'm looking at an inexpensive SSC donor that will be a license keeper/track day car but I am interested in the potential or limitations of increased levels of preparation.

Thanks alot.
[/b]

You should be able to pick up a 97 for a decent price since eligibility is running out. It would give you a year to play in SSC and you can begin the transformation in the meantime...

I'm in the process of building a 98 SOHC car, so feel free to chat with me about any issues (not that I'm an expert, but I have a little Dodge experience).

Mattberg
06-26-2006, 01:08 PM
Oh yeah, the normal cold air intakes require slight movement of the battery, which isn't allowed. I'm working on a solution for that one...
[/b]

I have a solution for that if you're interested.

lateapex911
06-26-2006, 02:17 PM
I have a solution for that if you're interested.
[/b]

I hope it's more legal than your suggestion in this thread:

http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...?showtopic=6823 (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6823)

Post 5: Describing how to get the car to handle, presumably;

If you really load up the rear springs the car ALMOST comes around. I think you might have to bend some stuff... "fell off the trailer"... to get it right.[/b]

Mattberg
07-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Well.. I'm not sure it's legal come to think of it because you have to cut the left side of the plastic battery tray. You tell me. No relocation of the battery though. You can use the stock tube to the existing air box. Reverse and invert the tube with a K&N cone on the end of it. It runs 180 degrees straight down and is a perfect fit.

p.s. I said "might" have to bend some stuff, indicating that I haven't tried it but I don't believe you can ever get the suspension competitive without doing so. It's really a mess in the rear. It's too bad because I think it would be a great addition to FP.

Rabbit07
07-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Why do you think that you can't get the suspension to be competitive? Granted the car is not as nimble as say a CRX, but the striaght line speed makes up for it. If you get the car below weight, which is easy to do, and start putting weight back in where it counts and you can balance to car nicely.

Mattberg
07-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Why do you think that you can't get the suspension to be competitive? Granted the car is not as nimble as say a CRX, but the striaght line speed makes up for it. If you get the car below weight, which is easy to do, and start putting weight back in where it counts and you can balance to car nicely.
[/b]

Getting weight out is no problem. Heck I had to put in ballast to make SS weight. But the rear end of the Neon is a pig. CG issues are many as well. But you're right about the straight-line speed. I'm pinned at Daytona and got a speed trap speed of 138 and that's with a crate motor with a bunch of races.

I think I'm just going to convert to FP which gives me some more options. I still can't change pick up points which is what is needed. Guess I'll just have to experiment.

PSherm
07-07-2006, 02:23 PM
... It's too bad because I think it would be a great addition to FP.
[/b]

My sentiments exactly. My gut says yes, but I think my checkbook is hollering NOOOOOO... :lol:

My '97 SSC car is looking like a guinea pig for FP conversion over the next season. The local votec has a composites training program and I think I might see if I can talk them into a project fabbing fenders and such. Good training for the young 'uns... :lol:

All this and I STILL haven't gotten the '95 into proper IT trim... :(

Mattberg
07-30-2006, 02:23 PM
I'd be interested on hearing your thoughts about FP for the 95. I've got some interesting dyno numbers but the suspension is really a leap of faith.

rpapa
08-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Unfortunately, after several days of conversing with the seller, putting a check in the mail, and making other expensive commitments to arrange to pick up the car (it's 1000 miles from where I live), 2 days after I agreed to buy the car and he agreed to sell it, he sent an email saying he had changed his mind and decided not to sell it.

Needless to say, I was not happy. Of course, I am still committed to the tow vehicle I purchased 1000 miles from my home (it was near the race car) so I will be making that trip later this month. Sometimes people really suck.

Anyway, maybe I'll be in a Neon in the future, maybe I won't.

Thanks for the info
[/b]

I have a car forsale and could meet you half way. www.randypapa.com