PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Bilstein Dampeners?

Cheers87
05-29-2006, 03:01 PM
I've been running the bilstein dampers from ISC racing for 1.5 seasons now. I experienced a failure yesturday.

Any of you guys having problems with yours? Also as I'm trying to find a replacement I learned teh following about the rear dampener that ISC racing uses:

The rear ones are from a 1971 BMW 2.8L Bavaria...

It failed just as was exiting a corner I just made through. I think it was something like 5500 in 3rd gear when I heard a bang and the rear end snapped around to one side. So I jerked the wheel to counter steer hard... once I got her steady I took my foot off the gas and coasted wondering WTF happened. Good thing i was only 1 corner away from Pit entrance and pitted. I thought I blew the tire and it wasn't teh case... Scared teh hell out of me... Good thing it wasn't during the max lateral accerlation portion through the corner at 5000 in 3rd...

Have any of you guys running the bilsteins from ISC racing for a 2nd gen rx7 encountered this problem? I talked to an ex Multimatic engineer who made a kit for a 2nd gen rx7 a long while back tell me that the delrin on the bottom mount is not a good idea. It forces the top shock mount to do all the self aligning, when the shock really needs to pivot/move on both the top and bottom mounts to allow for self aligning. The shock itself will flex a little and mvoe around every so slightly due to teh spring not compressing equally around it's diameter, due to slight play in the bushings of the rear trailing arm and such. In addition he noticed that the hole has been oblongated (ovalized) ever so slightly by eye. All of this he thinks contributred to the weld breaking as the shock's bottom welded on bracket rocked back and forth ever so slightly whenever the dampener compressed...

crappers. Good thing I avoided the solid concrete wall designed to protect the spectators. I don't think the track designers expected anyone to loose it in at area on that side of the track...

C. Ludwig
05-29-2006, 07:55 PM
While they're broken have them put back together with a bearing. End your worries.

Cheers87
05-29-2006, 08:01 PM
While they're broken have them put back together with a bearing. End your worries.
[/b]
The guys over at the rx7club suggested the same thing. Unfortunately it's easier said that done as it's not a off the self item that will all bolt up.

bldn10
06-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Not to suggest that Bilsteins don't measure up in racing but my understanding is that the shocks ICS sells are basically off-the-shelf Bilstein Sport shocks, which are designed and sold for street applications. I have a set on my Audi TT.