PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak issues

gran racing
05-29-2006, 12:43 PM
I absolutely hate oil leaks! :mad1:

I've been trying to determine where in the world the engine is leaking oil. I cleaned it up very good, ran the engine but it didn't leak. I then brought it over to a friend of mine who actually knows what he is doing with cars, and he REALLY cleaned it up. Then he ran it a few times bringing the car up to temp and reving the engine. Nothing. He did notice that I filled my power steering fuid up too high, so maybe that was my "oil" leak?

One of my concerns was that it is the main seal. With two races to go last year, I had a very reputible Honda shop take a look at the car due to another issue. That time, the clutch felt like it was slipping and there was an oil leak. The shop replaced the main seal and the cluth felt good (and still does) - it also didn't leak during that double event. When my friend searched for the oil leak, he took the cover off the tranny housing to see if there was any oil built-up inside, but there wasn't. His feeling is that it isn't the main seal.

At my last race, it started leaking again. I cleaned it up, went under the car, ran it, but still couldn't find where it was leaking. The tough part is that under normal conditions, it doesn't leak (or not enough for me to see it). I'm not exactly good with working on cars, so that doesn't help my cause. :( I'm going to replace the oil pan gasket (have a spare one already anyways) and the bottom of the pan got dented in a bit mid-last year.

I'd really like to get this resolved before my next race, but am not sure what next step to take. I've seen those pour in leak stopper solutions, but doubt that will help. Or maybe I should try that? I've also heard that I can add a dye to the oil which might help me find the leak. O.k., as you can tell, I have no clue what else I can do to stop the darn oil leak. Argh!

JeffYoung
05-29-2006, 07:18 PM
Dave, where is the oil building up? Do you have a breather on the motor? My car pumps oil out the breather and the lines and fittings occasionally leak - but only under race conditions, not at idle. You may be dealing with something similar.

67ITB
05-29-2006, 08:02 PM
Dave,
I dont know if this will help(or why I would even help a honda guy) but I saw a car this weekend that was leaking oil from a brand new oil pres sender. and this was only under race conditions.

Matt Bal

gran racing
05-31-2006, 07:06 PM
IT.com is back! Yipee!!!

The valve cover has a tube that runs into a catch can. The catch can is empty and not signs of oil near the valve cover.

Where's the oil building up - it's hard to determine this as when I come in, it's all over the bottom. It seems like it is near the rear, towards the front driver's side. But then again, that could have just spread there while out on the track.

Matt - what's an oil sender?

O.k. I want to eliminate the possibility (or really confirm one way or another) if it could be the main seal. That would leak engine oil, correct? Last time I had the main seal issue, the clutch felt like something was wrong. This time that's not the case.

Did I say I hate oil leaks?

67ITB
06-01-2006, 04:55 AM
Dave,
Sorry about that it’s an Oil Pressure sender (I think there are 2 of these, one high and one low) or oil temperature sender.
Also, I work in Newington and could stop by some time and give you another pair of (untrained) eyes.

Matt Bal

gran racing
06-02-2006, 08:25 AM
Matt, I'd love to get another set of eyes looking for it. I'll shoot you a PM.

Greg Gauper
06-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Can't speak for that vintage prelude, but the common leak spots on 84-87 Civic/CRX's are:

Pan Gasket
Valve Cover Gasket
Oil Filler Cap
Distributor O-ring
PCV canister (that small metal box on the back of the block that the PCV plugs into) O-ring

The oil pressure sensor will be on the back of the block near the oil filter.

Also make sure that when you changed oil filters that the old oil filter o-ring didn't come off the filter and get stuck, so that you have two o-rings back to back.

Make sure you use a small dab of honda bond where indicated in the shop manual if you change the pan & valve cover gaskets.

MMiskoe
06-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Two methods of looking for it, both require you to clean everything really well then run it enough for it to just start leaking.

Get some UV die and a black light. This can be bothersome on a bright day, works best when you can shut out the shop lights and only shine the black light on it (and hope you can find it before the black light gives you a head ache). Any good parts store will have the die, you just dump it in the oil.

The other method is a bit more ham fisted, but does work. Spray white athelete's foot spray, or white flour over the general area you think it is leaking. The oil will wick into the white stuff like a reverse die penetrant test. You'll see a dark spot (or line) in the white stuff where the oil first comes out. (Flour smells like baking bread on a hot engine.)

Matt

gran racing
06-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Today I went out and purchased the dye and a black light. Hopefully I'll get this darn thing figured out soon.

Based on the other oil leak post in the Honda section, I guess I should add the crank seal and possible oil pump issues to the list. :(

gran racing
06-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Well, I finally got the oil pan installed thanks to some help from Matt, suggestions from you guys at it.com and of course I can't forget the help I received from Grant.

Thank you, Matt Bal, for coming over my house and checking things out. Oh, one important thing we learned during the process, brake cleaner burns in the arm pits. (Ask Matt!) :)

The funny thing is I moved my Honda onto the tow dolly, and saw an oil leak. Is there a crying smilie? Then I figured out that it was my VW (don't worry, it's just a winter car)! But of course!!!! Is that "Hit a Honda - Win a Prize" getting even larger? :P

lateapex911
06-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Well, I finally

Thank you, Matt Bal, for coming over my house and checking things out. Oh, one important thing we learned during the process, brake cleaner burns in the arm pits. (Ask Matt!) :)

[/b]

It also kills beehives fast. I recommend one can in each hand shooting at a 30 degree included angle for the quickest effect.

RSTPerformance
06-13-2006, 12:30 AM
Is that "Hit a Honda - Win a Prize" getting even larger? :P
[/b]

lol, no comment ;) Looking forward to FINALLY running with you!!!

Raymond