PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some of your video – autocross and club road racing

gran racing
05-25-2006, 02:15 PM
For what seems like an eternity now, I’ve been working on a book that discusses how people can get into racing. It covers everything from autocrossing, HPDEs, to building/buying a racecar. The book is finally close to being published (sometime this July) and I’ve been working on a website for it. (More information on the book will be posted in about a month.) On the site, I want to include videos showing what racing is like and how much fun it is. While I could just use my in-car videos, I think it would become a bit boring seeing the same track and car being used.

What am I looking for?
I’d like to obtain some autocross and racing videos. If you have a good HPDE video where it shows an instructor in the passenger seat coaching the driver, which could be interesting too. While videos of cars crashing can be interesting to watch, given the audience I am not looking for these types of videos.

One important thing – the video must be yours. Please don’t send other people’s videos even if they are really cool. The video quality doesn’t have to be professional, but I really can’t have video where the footage shakes (like my old, first system that I used).

How to provide me the video?
One way is to simply mail me the raw footage on a Mini DV or DVD. Once I receive the video, I’d take care of the editing. If you choose to mail it to me, contact me by PM or e-mail and we’ll discuss the shipping of your video.

I’m certainly not a techy person, therefore I’m not sure how best to obtain the footage otherwise. I will be using a Mac to complete the editing. Someone mentioned that it might be possible for you to e-mail the video in an mpg2 file format? If you send me footage, I’ll need your permission to edit the video and add the book’s name and website address on it. I would imagine most people would want their name to appear in the video; if you would prefer your name not to appear, just let me know. In addition to your name, please provide the track the footage is from (if HPDE or road racing), the club racing with (not crucial), and the vehicle make/model, and its class.

If you have some video already nicely edited, can host it somewhere that I can save it on my computer, that works too. If willing, I may ask you to add the book name and its site to the opening of the video if I’m unable to edit it.

Once the video is ready to be made live, I will also take care of hosting it.

My contact information: you may either PM me here or send an e-mail to: [email protected]

Please do not be offended if your video is not utilized. Honestly, I’m not sure what the response to this will be.

Thanks for your help – I do appreciate it!

lateapex911
05-25-2006, 02:32 PM
Congrats on the book Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My video isn't worthy I'm sure!

RSTPerformance
05-25-2006, 02:45 PM
WOWSER... thats cool!!!

Dave, will you be at NHIS this weekend? maybe we can catch up? we have hours and hours of in car video... Some is really great racing, others is boring and in the back or the front... We also have some from the Mt. Washington Hillclimb, which is somewhat different and scary all on its own :)

I am now trying to think of a way to heckle you but nothing is coming to mind :rolleyes:

Talk to you soon!!!

Raymond

gran racing
05-25-2006, 03:25 PM
Nah, I won't be at NHIS. But I'm sure we'll bump into each other at LRP. :D On second thought, since we both got new paint jobs just recently, maybe we'll just have to talk in the paddock.

gsbaker
05-25-2006, 03:37 PM
...While videos of cars crashing can be interesting to watch, given the audience I am not looking for these types of videos...[/b]
Drat. That leaves us out. :)

This sounds like a wonderful idea.You've probably already thought of this, but you might want to make a similar solicitation at Rennlist and SpecMiataVideo.

JLawton
05-25-2006, 03:43 PM
I am now trying to think of a way to heckle you but nothing is coming to mind :rolleyes:

[/b]

How about: "those who can't do, teach". :lol: Considering Dave kicked my butt all the time, I can say it!!

Congrats Dave!! Lets us know how else we can help out!!

Video from the last NHIS race on the way!!

RSTPerformance
05-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Nah, I won't be at NHIS. But I'm sure we'll bump into each other at LRP. :D On second thought, since we both got new paint jobs just recently, maybe we'll just have to talk in the paddock.
[/b]

Stephen got the new paint job, and then the 2nd one after the first one wasn't so hot ;) My car never got painted, so watch out!!! :cavallo:

lol, looking forward to the reading and videos!!!

Raymond

fairgentleman Z
05-25-2006, 05:00 PM
I have a few videos hosted on putfile, already edited. The 4 auto-X are all set to music, the road racing ones are not.

All I ask is that you do not alter any of the credits.

http://www.putfile.com/jwashburn78

I do not know if there will be an issue with the ones set to music (copyrights, licensing.....), as you are using it to propmote a book.

gran racing
05-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Very cool stuff - I do appreciate it! If anyone has some video of mid to left coast tracks, I'd love use that too.

Fairgentleman, I you've got a PM.

Gregg, yeah, I can't say your crash videos didn't come to mind. Hey, but your company is mentioned in the "How Safe is Racing" chapter and in the book appendix. :happy204:

crushed
05-26-2006, 10:06 AM
http://russmarshall.com/v/video/

It's all club racing stuff but if that's the type of video you're looking for I can send you a few DV tapes...

Z3_GoCar
06-02-2006, 01:58 AM
Hey Dave,

I just finished the Cal Club Super School May 5th and 6th on the East Loop at Buttonwillow Raceway Park. Check out my short web site video at:
ITB 2002 on Mx-5 (http://49thaero.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/superschool_sat_session4.mpg)

You'll notice that I'm not using the gears. Well the East loop is really short with a few tight corners so I'm not able to get too fast. Second the 02 had a great powerband and handled well so I could carry a lot of speed through the corner and it pulled well out of the corners. Just let me know if you like more, I've got the rest of this session and the one prior, both about 30 minutes long.

James

gran racing
06-02-2006, 08:24 AM
James,
For some reason I'm having difficulty opening the file. ?

Z3_GoCar
06-02-2006, 09:16 AM
Hey Dave,

Here's the DIY link to my page, it's the second item in the right colume, just under the picture of my wife on Skyline Blvd in Berkeley.
My Auto Page (http://49thaero.tripod.com/id9.html)

In the mean time I'll check to see if I've exceeded my bandwidth. Try downloading the link on my page.

James