PDA

View Full Version : New 2nd Gen shell needed

ITS51RX7
05-22-2006, 07:23 PM
After I managed to push the core support about a 12 inches closer to the firewall :bash_1_: , I am now in search of a replacement 2nd Gen RX-7.

The car I have was an 1988 with an s5 motor, 5.12 rear end and 5 lug brakes so I am going to swap most of the good parts over to a new shell.

I live just outside of Indianapolis, so I am looking for a car not more than 300 miles away if possible, I hope some of you have answers to the following questions.

This car does not need to run, just a straight rust free body.

Thanks,

1.) were the non sun roof cars lighter than cars with sun roofs

2.) were there any changes between s4 and s5 cars besides the motor and front bumper

3.)Which cars came with the aluminum hoods

4.) Is there any difference between 4 lug and 5 lug cars besides hubs , rotors, capliers

C. Ludwig
05-22-2006, 08:43 PM
After I managed to push the core support about a 12 inches closer to the firewall :bash_1_: , I am now in search of a replacement 2nd Gen RX-7.

The car I have was an 1988 with an s5 motor, 5.12 rear end and 5 lug brakes so I am going to swap most of the good parts over to a new shell.

I live just outside of Indianapolis, so I am looking for a car not more than 300 miles away if possible, I hope some of you have answers to the following questions.

This car does not need to run, just a straight rust free body.

Thanks,

1.) were the non sun roof cars lighter than cars with sun roofs

2.) were there any changes between s4 and s5 cars besides the motor and front bumper

3.)Which cars came with the aluminum hoods

4.) Is there any difference between 4 lug and 5 lug cars besides hubs , rotors, capliers
[/b]

1) Probably but I'm not sure. They are supposed to be marginally stiffer but I really think the difference would be a wash once a good cage goes in. Good luck finding one. I've had my eyes out for two years with no luck. Found a base S5 once. Exceptionally clean. Cheap. Aftermarket sunroof! :bash_1_:

2) No real changes to the suspension. The S4 has the more desireable front control arms because the balljoints can be replaced. The S5 balljoint is integral to the a-arm. The S5 is supposed to be a bit stiffer I think. Again, a wash with a cage IMO. The S5s in any kind of decent shape are usually more expensive too. And then there are just plain fewer of them that ever made it across the pond.

3) No ryhme or reason on the aluminum hoods. Some got 'em. Some didn't. Seem to be more common among the S4s.

4) All S5s are 5-lug but not all S5s got the big brakes. So don't get excited until you check the brakes. The S5 hubs are all the same so a base brake setup can be more easily upgraded to big brakes. A few S4 cars got the 5-lug/big brake setup but an open diff. The chassis/suspension components are the same between all the models though with the difference being hubs and brake package.

I have a very straight S4 shell that you can have if you come get it. It has a sunroof and that's the only reason I'd get rid of it. I've kicked the idea of building a new car around since I bought it but it most likely will never happen and I'd like to have the space in the drive back. It's a bare shell. All the suspension and drivetrain are gone. But it is straight and free.

ITS51RX7
05-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Chris,
Thanks for the info and the offer :D

Was the shell that you have a manual trans, also is everything gutted or is the wire harness and dash still in tact.
Thanks again,

C. Ludwig
05-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Yeah it's a manual trans car. I think all of the wiring is there. I had pulled a harness to sell but the buyer backed out so I think everything is still there. The dash is intact. All the glass is there with manual regulators.

crispyrx7
05-26-2006, 02:12 PM
Yeah it's a manual trans car. I think all of the wiring is there. I had pulled a harness to sell but the buyer backed out so I think everything is still there. The dash is intact. All the glass is there with manual regulators.
[/b]

Oh geez Chris I think I was that buyer! Really sorry about that.
Crispy

C. Ludwig
05-26-2006, 09:17 PM
It's been like 3 years ago.

ITS51RX7
05-29-2006, 07:18 AM
Chris, I sent you an e-mail
Thanks