PDA

View Full Version : RIP Rodney Williams

bobpink
05-18-2006, 10:32 AM
I received this e-mail and wanted to pass it along. If any of you have been racing at Road Atlanta over the years, this man waved the flag from the starter stand over you many a time. As past editor of the Atlanta Region publication, the Steering Wheel, I had reason to talk with Rodney a few times and always found him to be a great and helpful person.

"It is with a sad heart that I must bring the news of the passing of one of our own. Rodney Williams, HSR starter and former Atlanta Region SCCA chief of start passed away yesterday afternoon. Rodney was home recovering from surgery and was doing well. He had a blood clot to move and had a massive heart attack. Rodney was a great friend and a wonderful person. He will be sorely missed by us all."

charrbq
05-18-2006, 11:04 AM
This reminds us of how fragile life is, and how easily it is taken away. Our sport is inherently dangerous, but we are protected by armour in the interest of safety. Yet something so small as a clot of blood does something that all that danger and risk could not. As with all who pass, his presence will be missed.

slickS14
05-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Greetings fellow racers, I am Chris Newberry from Atlanta and an ITS competitor. Rodney was my father in law and I just want everybody to know how much he loved racing, loved the drivers and deeply cared about the safety of all of us at the track. Rodney was a member of the Atlanta Region for over 20 years and was the chief starter for 12 years. His extensive racing resume extends back to the mid 1960's when he worked for the Allison's in Alabama before coming to Ga. He also works for Paul Spruell for several years and helped Paul win SCCA E Production National Championships and crewed on Formula Fords, IT cars, Nascar Trucks, Motorola Cup cars just to name a few. Rodney crewed for me for my entire Road Racing career and built some engines along the way. ( Just ask the webmaster of this site.) :P Rodney has also been the cheif starter and travelling race staff for HSR for the last few years as well.
Rodney had four daughters that he introduced to SCCA racing and made them all work corners or Start for the experience. My wife, Jenni, was even "Miss ARRC 1996". He even met his wife, Susan Lord Williams, at Road Atlanta who is also a long time SCCA member and starter/corner worker. These two people epitomize the meaning of "family sport" and I was lucky to have been a apart of their lives over the last 14 years. Rodney and Susan were actually married at Road Atlanta in August of 1992 at Fitzy park and I understand that the Start stand will be dedicated to him in his memory in July. Hopefully there will be more details to follow on the Atlanta Region website or here and I invite everybody to come celebrate that weekend.
What I would like to let everybody know is get to know your corner workers and track staff. They are your guardian angels, driving line and flag coaches, potential family members and most of all concerned for each of our safety. Thank you Bob for your posting of the news and I know that the Atlanta Region and racing community will surely miss this dynamic person at the track. Cheers and Race On......

Any interest in Donations in Memory of Rodney should please be directed to:

Bethlehem First Baptist Church - Building Fund (www.bethlehemfbc.org) or

3-Day Walk for Breast Cancer - ref: Haley Williams - (www.the3day.org/Atlanta06/haywilliams)

Thanks, Chris Newberry #1 ITS Nissan 240sx - I love you and miss you greatly Rodney.

mlytle
05-22-2006, 12:07 PM
excellent post chris. thank you for sharing your insight into the life and contributions of one who has passed. i never met him, but i wish i had.

marshall

JeffYoung
05-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Chris, I am sorry to hear this news. It sounds like it was not only a personal loss for you and your wife, but also for the racing community.

Tristan Smith
05-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Chris,

Kathy and I send our condolences to you and Jenni, and the whole family. Rodney was a good guy, and will be missed by many. Let us know if there is anything that we can do to help out.

Ron Earp
05-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Chris, my condolences to you and your family. Sounds like he had a great impact on a lot of racers and I find it very fitting they'll dedicated his track spot in his honor, excellent.

Ron

slickS14
05-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks everybody for the wishes and prayers, I'm sorry to anyone that we neglected to contact about the services and his passing....I'm sure you all can relate. Take care and race safe. Chris

lateapex911
05-22-2006, 04:38 PM
Chris...sorry to learn the news. I feel honored to have raced under his checkered flag...

Bildon
05-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Chris, my condolences as well to you and Jenni. I will always remember those days back in "the shop"... when Rodney stopped by his stories were always a hoot. Take care.

- Bill

Rob May
05-22-2006, 09:22 PM
I am sorry to hear this terrible news. My heart goes out to all the family.

wbp
05-23-2006, 12:53 PM
I just read about Rodney Williams dying of blood clot after recent surgery.
One week ago today I had surgery at Vanderbilt Medical myself. (10 hours and 5 minutes in the surgical suite).
Before I would take time to post this reply, I got up and took a brisk (for the circumstances) fifteen minute walk.
I hope to see some of the Williams family at the track before too long. So sorry to hear the news.