PDA

View Full Version : SOURSE OF THE MISS

USGUYS
05-17-2006, 09:53 PM
:( I have a miss in my FP crx-si 1600. On track the car is down on power. No miss. No load in neutral the engine misses like it hitting the rev limiter at 3000rpm. The miss continues until you get the engine to about 4500. Then it seems ok.
The only thing that has been changed from ITA rules is the engine has a timing gear. It is set at the stock timing.
Possiblities: bad distributor, bad value springs ( they may hve 15 race weekends), ????
It isn't the ECU or the thorttle postition sensor.
This one has me stumped. :wacko:

zracre
05-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Id start with the dizzy...do yo uhave MSD?

itaintegra31
05-18-2006, 08:30 AM
I would double check that the cam timing is really at the stock setting. Try putting the stock gears back on and see how it runs.

joeg
05-18-2006, 09:58 AM
I vote dizzy also.

The only times I have suffered such issues in my car, it was the distributor. Hondas would be no different.

Swap in another and see what happens.

charrbq
05-18-2006, 11:00 AM
I had something similar in an ITA Civic Si, turned out to be the map sensor. Never got it changed before the car was killed against a retaining wall. Car pulled like a tractor to about 4500, then putted up to 5500 before it came on again. Rather critical rpms for speed.

Tkczecheredflag
05-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Had a similiar problem with my "C" car, distributor was the answer

mengelke
05-20-2006, 09:29 AM
It may be the ignitor in the distrubutor.

Greg Gauper
05-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Tony,

On the last qualifying session at the Runoffs, I had an issue that cropped up where the motor would act like it hit the rev limiter too early, even though I was 500 rpm or so below the rev limiter. It ran fine all week prior to that.

Out of desperation (the race was the next day) we replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, and plug wires and it cured the problem. We think the ECU was picking up stray noise from one or more of the above components (most likely the plug wires) which was getting interpretted as higher revs. Something to consider. FWIW, I put in cheap suppression-style plug wires (all that was available from Pep-Boys near Mid-Ohio) and they worked fine. In fact, I'm running them on the new motor with the new OBD1 distributor set up my prod car.

Also check your ground wires. I had a weird problem at the first national at Gateway which acted like fuel pick-up (only happened in left hand corners) but turned out to be the ground wire near the T-stat (the one I showed you this weekend) being finger tight and cutting out when the motor would rock under torque in left hand corners.

The ignitors do go bad on these cars, especially if they are old.

R2 Racing
05-22-2006, 02:50 PM
It may be the ignitor in the distrubutor.
[/b]
That would be my guess. But as Greg said, do the cap, rotor, plugs, and plug wires if they haven't been done in a while. That stuff is all easy and relatively cheap. If that doesn't do it, than it's time to replace the ignitor, which again isn't horribly difficult or super expensive.

USGUYS
06-11-2006, 11:14 PM
New distributor, new wires and plugs. MISS STILL THERE! :bash_1_: What next?

1stGenBoy
06-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Tony,
What's the compression and leak down numbers? Time to go back to the basics.