PDA

View Full Version : ITB Legality

RSTPerformance
05-16-2006, 07:03 PM
Ok, this has been hashed out many times... how to keep everyone legal??? I am not about to hash this out but rather proceed with a process that a group of ITB drivers agreed to at the last weekends event at Pocono. For whatever reason I am the most outspoken one so I am posting, but I certainly hope others post in the future when issues arise. Use this forum and "bump" it up in the future so we can be reminded when this process works...

The Process:

1) When known illegalities are found or known, inform the driver as a group that he/she has till the next event to fix it.

2) Post on an open forum (preferably this forum and thread) the illegal parts that are expected to be fixed.

3) Check at the next event he/she runs to be sure that he/she has fixed the known problems. - It is important that someone checks, not necessarily the poster or informer of the issues, as he/she may not be at the event. We can not ensure legal cars are running in ITB if people do not follow through with each side, the fixer and the checker!!!

4) If the car is found not to have been fixed a protest NEEDS/WILL be filed at every event their after until a resolution has arisen.

Now with that said, if a competitor has a legit reason for the illegal part (s) I/we am sure that we can be reasonable on extending the repair time, so long as it is not the reason the person is beating someone else. Example, if a competitor is running illegal shortened axles on a VW and he/she can not get it fixed for the next event due to financial constraints or mechanical knowledge constraints, we may be flexible, but please post on this forum any agreements that you may have so that legality is followed through in the end. This does not mean that anyone needs to follow those agreements (Someone can still file a protest if they feel necessary). Also FYI, any agreements WILL not hold up in front of the Stewards. Being a Steward (Clarification: Steward In Training, SIT) myself I never promote an illegal car, and if serving on the SOM I would view things differently, but since I will not participate on the SOM (corrected to not say steward) in protests among fellow ITB drivers (conflict of interest) I will support what the rest of the group as a whole wants.

I hope this process keeps our class honest and legal for everyone.

Raymond Blethen
ITB Audi Coupe #51

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

The first victum...

Marios Tinis in a ITB VW Golf:

Known illigal parts: (Removed supplier names as it is not relevant)

Shortened driverside axle
Solid front motor mount
Smaller than factory batery

He was told by a group of ITB drivers that we expect all repairs to be made by the next event. He was unaware of his illigality and was very understanding and willing to make the changes.

Raymond

PS: This is an example of a car/driver that has no effect on me directly, it does however have an effect on other drivers and the class as a whole, thus the need for everyone to post future issues/problems others find if it directly effect you or not. Lets all work together!!!

Andy Bettencourt
05-16-2006, 07:53 PM
I would LOVE to have open hood and trunk directive in an impound-all scenrio after qualifying.

Bring a legal car, care about the rules and care about others that care about the rules or go find something else to do. Please.

Good luck in your efforts young Jedi.

AB

zracre
05-16-2006, 08:30 PM
We did an open hood impound all in the Jan Sebring SM National race...If the top 4 go to impound anyways it would be simple to say hoods doors decklids open! for all. I usually open mine if someone asks me something anyways in impound. Ok the next time im in impound i will open my hood and decklid/doors...maybe I will start a trend! I would like to look at my competitions stuff and they are welcome to see mine...

Bildon
05-16-2006, 08:33 PM
:018: heh heh poor Mario. I tried to tell him when he was buying parts that this stuff would not fly in IT. But I guess he did not listen.

Oh but please dont list the illegal parts as "Bildon" this or "BSI" that. We just sell parts.
The mount is made by a company not affiliated with Bildon and is available on a hundred websites. It&#39;s legal about everywhere but in IT. Not really fair to drag our names through the mud with the offender! <_<

>> I would LOVE to have open hood and trunk directive in an impound-all scenrio after qualifying.

This is pretty common at Nelson. Doesnt seem to get anybody&#39;s panties in a wad. :P But people still can&#39;t see the 2L bottom end in some of the Golfs!

JamesB
05-16-2006, 08:43 PM
I agree, in the VW scene I know of a good 10-15 vendors that sell that motor mount, same with the axles. Outside of IT this is considered a must have in the tuner scene. Personally racing is the only place I could handle stiff motor mounts, just running a VWMS mount on my 2001 jetta is annoying.

ITBracer
05-16-2006, 08:45 PM
I find it funny that RSTperformance posted this, because I have heard for several years that they were highly illegal. I have heard these "rumors and accusations" from several different competitiors who are very familiar with audis and VWs. I cant say one way or the other, but I know this post is going to smack many of these people in the face. Thats why I think people need to be more willing to file protest in order to weed out cheating or put rumors to rest.

Jeremy Billiel
05-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Perhaps I am missing something, but how do you run a shortened axle? If you have a legit engine and a legit hub (meaning both in stock locations), how can the distance between both be shortened?

Jeremy - Who is a Honda guy and has never heard of this before! :wacko:

Andy Bettencourt
05-16-2006, 09:02 PM
I find it funny that RSTperformance posted this, because I have heard for several years that they were highly illegal. I have heard these "rumors and accusations" from several different competitiors who are very familiar with audis and VWs. I cant say one way or the other, but I know this post is going to smack many of these people in the face. Thats why I think people need to be more willing to file protest in order to weed out cheating or put rumors to rest. [/b]

I find it funny you joined today and didn&#39;t post your real name.

:015:

MMiskoe
05-16-2006, 09:13 PM
I find it funny that RSTperformance posted this, because I have heard for several years that they were highly illegal. I have heard these "rumors and accusations" from several different competitiors who are very familiar with audis and VWs. I cant say one way or the other, but I know this post is going to smack many of these people in the face. Thats why I think people need to be more willing to file protest in order to weed out cheating or put rumors to rest.[/b]

Oh let the mud slinging begin. Good for you guys to volunteer to ride the bar on the dunk tank.

Just out of curiousity, I agree w/ Jermy - how do you run a shortened axle & why is this an advantage? Something to do w/ making the CV&#39;s run straighter once you&#39;ve dropped the ride height is all I can imagine.

Also (at the risk a thread highjack) can the "one engine stayrod" be considered a solid mount? Feel free to ignore this or answer it somewhere else, I don&#39;t mean to stray this thread. Of course I have no idea what he had for a mount that was frowned at, perhaps that&#39;s the real question.

Matt

imported_Webmaster
05-16-2006, 09:23 PM
>> because I have heard for several years that they were highly illegal

hah! This coming from somebody hiding behind a 1 time post ? Not very credible.

So Mr. 12-210-167-5.client.insightBB.com, How&#39;s the weather there? :018:

JamesB
05-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Just out of curiousity, I agree w/ Jermy - how do you run a shortened axle & why is this an advantage? Something to do w/ making the CV&#39;s run straighter once you&#39;ve dropped the ride height is all I can imagine.

[/b]

That is exactly the issue. The rabbit has more of a problem with this then the golf. I heard a few golfs snapping axles the way lowered rabbits do, but it does not seem to be as much of a problem. When you lower the rabbit for optimal ride height you reduce the plunge depth and angle of the driver CV. This creates the undue pressures on the CV and they blow out. In the tuning world with lots of low street cars, this was solved with the shortened axle. Though I dont know anyone that beat on the rabbit in AX or drag racing to care because they would sheer inner CVs launching and the extra price of a shortened axle made no sense.

This and many other weak parts is why I passed up on a ITB rabbit, I dont have the time to do all the proper maintinence needed to race one, even if it cost less then my golf overall.

ITBracer
05-16-2006, 10:20 PM
I think I need to apologize,because I believe my post was taking the wrong way in regards to the way it was written. I should not have used the word funny. Maybe "ironic". The point I was trying to make was that the original poster was trying to come up with a way to help keep cars and competitiors legal. I was pointing was trying to point out that here is an example of someone trying to come up with a solution or better way, and yet I have heard questions about his cars. We all here people&#39;s opinions of other competitiors and their legality, and I am sure we have our own opinions. There are always people to think others must be cheating if they get beat. My point was to make the process of protesting or others means easier so that we could identify problems with competitors and more importantly put rumors and accusation to rest. I said I have know idea about the original poster and comments I have heard. And I do not put much stock in them because I do not know the sitiuations. I was trying to make a point that the poster was right. There needs to be a better way. I also apologize to anyone who might have been offended

Dick Elliott
05-17-2006, 04:43 AM
And your name is????

JLawton
05-17-2006, 06:07 AM
I think I need to apologize,because I believe my post was taking the wrong way in regards to the way it was written. I should not have used the word funny. Maybe "ironic". The point I was trying to make was that the original poster was trying to come up with a way to help keep cars and competitiors legal. I was pointing was trying to point out that here is an example of someone trying to come up with a solution or better way, and yet I have heard questions about his cars. We all here people&#39;s opinions of other competitiors and their legality, and I am sure we have our own opinions. There are always people to think others must be cheating if they get beat. My point was to make the process of protesting or others means easier so that we could identify problems with competitors and more importantly put rumors and accusation to rest. I said I have know idea about the original poster and comments I have heard. And I do not put much stock in them because I do not know the sitiuations. I was trying to make a point that the poster was right. There needs to be a better way. I also apologize to anyone who might have been offended
[/b]

Again, your comments have no validity when you don&#39;t post a name.

I&#39;ve been in IT in NER for years and in ITB for two and have never heard these same "rumors" that you have. When ever someone is fast, the accusations fly.

My thoughts on the process:

- I applaud what you guys are doing. Nice job.
- I don&#39;t know if I agree about posting it all in a public forum. But maybe public humiliation will work??
- I think you are going easy on known cheaters
- I don&#39;t buy that "I didn&#39;t know" crap. Especially on shortened axles and motor mounts. Every VW guy knows these "tricks"!!
- I know there a bunch of NER ITBers that are behind this. You cheaters better watch out!! :018:

gran racing
05-17-2006, 08:25 AM
2) Post on an open forum (preferably this forum and thread) the illegal parts that are expected to be fixed. [/b]

I’m not sure how much I agree with this. If the person found to be illegal is a member here, then maybe. But how annoyed would people be if they were being “bashed” on other forums and didn’t even know about it? The person should at least be able to defend them self. Maybe there is some reason that some-what helps explain things.

As Jeff stated, when someone is fast, there are bound to be rumors about how the car must be illegal. Unfortunately, it’s a part of human nature and occurs in every sport that I know of.

When the Audis qualified first and second at the ’04 ARRC, the chances that rumors of illegalities is pretty high. I will say that both drivers have been very enthusiastic about cars being legal, and do not believe that they would do something illegal on purpose.

ShelbyRacer
05-17-2006, 09:47 AM
Also (at the risk a thread highjack) can the "one engine stayrod" be considered a solid mount? Feel free to ignore this or answer it somewhere else, I don&#39;t mean to stray this thread. Of course I have no idea what he had for a mount that was frowned at, perhaps that&#39;s the real question.

[/b]

Hijacking continued...

A "solid" mount would confine the motion in more than one plane, which is specifically forbidden within that allowance. I&#39;ve been working this one lately, since I&#39;m in the process of laying out my IT car, and I&#39;m trying to read the rules the way I&#39;ve been taught (indirectly) by the people I respect here at IT.com.

Rabbit07
05-17-2006, 11:03 AM
I agree with the stay rod rule for the mount. It makes sense in the intent, just not the wording.

Now with Halfshafts being shortened- Shame on You!

How can you tell when the shaft is shortened? I used to race am A1 Rabbit and never heard of such a thing.

JackH55
05-17-2006, 12:46 PM
I have not been on IT.com in a while but I was told I should look at this tread.

1st. Ray is not a Steward, he is a Steward in Training.

2nd as far as impound all&#39;s and open Hood and Trunk inspections, if you contact the Chief Steward early enough (not a few days before the race), The Chief Steward would probably arrange for it to happen.
This would mean a significant number of drivers asking for the impound all- well in advance.

I am posting a segment from the Stewards Standard Minimum Penalties- the portion that deals with Non-compliant cars.

Car not in compliance:
Prior to the race: Chief Steward removes Tech Sticker - car may be re-submitted, and if found in compliance, may compete.
Post race: Time penalty to move to last in field. (If not sufficient to cause loss of place points - take points).

Cheater car (attempted performance modification):
Maximum penalty (DQ, Suspension, and probation.) The probation to include having the car appear at pre and post race tech at each event for compliance verification.

We all want cars to be compliant

Jack Hanifan
NeDiv Executive Steward

RSTPerformance
05-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Well... this might not be the reaction I had hoped for... but maybe it will keep people in line...

My responses...

1) Most important, agreed that suppliers names should remain nameless, didn&#39;t mean to show any disrespect to Bildon or BSI... I posted names so people knew what to look for, but I don&#39;t think that needs to happen. Also two separate suppliers reinforces my thought that it was not a supplier steering a driver/team wrong, but that the driver/team new what they wanted and made the decision to purchase it. I hope that makes sense.

2) Jack sorry for not being clear about the SIT thing, most hear know that... Personally I only brought up the steward issue because I relinquish my job/duties as a steward or SIT for any ITB protests as there is an obvious conflict of interest. I think that all stewards and drivers would agree that my separation of duties is the correct thing to do. Also I wanted to be clear that this way of handling illegalities was driver driven and not in line with how a “Steward” would handle illegalities.

3) If you have a thought that my car or my brother’s car is illegal, please PM me, call me, or e-mail me with questions. We have made every attempt to make our cars legal. To be honest they are well developed cars, but at the same time they have so much more that could be done. They are not even close to the point where we would need to do illegal things to get faster. If you are ever at the track you are more than welcome to look at anything you want... We will even pull a spark plug out so you can see the 200,000 mile + cylinder walls and carbon toped pistons... Anyway I hate rumors, but they are expected, especially due to our success with the cars and the cars rarity. I will take the comments from unknown as a compliment to our achievement and move on. Also a small tad bit of info... while we might be very public about our racing efforts their have been or are Audi Coupes throughout the country with a great deal of success - Our lap times at Road Atlanta are NOT the fastest ITB Audi&#39;s that have run.

4) I do feel that publicly announcing on a forum “illegalities” is ok. It allows others to know to go check. The internet is a great form of communication and this certainly gets the word out. If you don&#39;t like it don&#39;t let me find out your illegal parts :dead_horse:

5) I restate 2 things:

A ) Marios Tinis seems to me like a great guy, and I look forward to seeing him at future races. I am even sending him some in-car video!!!

B ) If Marios was DSQ&#39;d or not would have no relevance on my race. It is simply me being the spokesperson in effort to help everyone keep our class legal.

5) Mr. Unknown... and others- I am not totaly dumb, nor am I deaf. Also I have wonderful friends, we all do. The Rumors and those who created them are well known to me. I have no intentions of confronting them, as it is pure rumor on who starts rumors anyway, right? In Closing we would love to have a real conversation with those that feel "something" is illegal so please give us a call so we can hash it out and make any adjustments that may be needed.

Raymond &#39;Hope I haven’t dug myself to big a hole!!!" Blethen

PS: I support the open hood, trunk, doors, etc. policy in impound. As such we will try to remember to do this on our own; all are welcome and encouraged to come take a look at our cars. Please point out anything you might question, and feel free to post here, if I don&#39;t do it first!!! All others are also encouraged to participate in this policy!!!

MCTPE
05-18-2006, 01:54 PM
MY NAME IS MARIOS TINIS. I AM THE ONE THAT THE AUDI GUYS ARE IN LOVE WITH.
THE POCONO RACE WAS MY 4TH RACE WITH SCCA. aPPARENTLY I HAD 3 ITEMS ON THE CAR THAT
ACCORDING TO THE AUDI GUYS WERE ILLEGAL. WHEN I WAS APPROACHED I SAID I WILL CORRECT THE ISSUES. I CALLED SCCA AND LEFT A MESSAGE FOR INTERPERTATION.
BUT IF THE IT GUYS ARE NICE GUYS WHY ARE THEY PUTTING MY NAME ON THE INTERNET. WHO GAVE THEM THE RIGHT AND ESPECIALLY WHEN I SAID I WOULD TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM.
I WAS TOLD THAT THE AUDI GUYS DO NOT WANT ANYONE ELSE TO COME FIRST. I AM WONDERING WHO HAS CHECKED THEIR CARS OF BEING LEGAL? GOOD START. THANK YOU AUDI BROTHERS.

MY NAME IS MARIOS TINIS. I AM THE ONE THAT THE AUDI GUYS ARE IN LOVE WITH.
THE POCONO RACE WAS MY 4TH RACE WITH SCCA. aPPARENTLY I HAD 3 ITEMS ON THE CAR THAT
ACCORDING TO THE AUDI GUYS WERE ILLEGAL. WHEN I WAS APPROACHED I SAID I WILL CORRECT THE ISSUES. I CALLED SCCA AND LEFT A MESSAGE FOR INTERPERTATION.
BUT IF THE IT GUYS ARE NICE GUYS WHY ARE THEY PUTTING MY NAME ON THE INTERNET. WHO GAVE THEM THE RIGHT AND ESPECIALLY WHEN I SAID I WOULD TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM.
I WAS TOLD THAT THE AUDI GUYS DO NOT WANT ANYONE ELSE TO COME FIRST. I AM WONDERING WHO HAS CHECKED THEIR CARS OF BEING LEGAL? GOOD START. THANK YOU AUDI BROTHERS.

Andy Bettencourt
05-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Welcome Marios. Care to share with us all the three items and we can help you determine legality (or muddy-up the grey area)?

Unfortunately, everyone has the right to post what they want. What is great is that you have the right to post a rebuttle and have the rest of the BB make up our own mind.

Of the 3 items listed:

Any &#39;shortening&#39; to an axle is not permitted
Solid front motor mounts are not permitted (a front &#39;stayrod&#39; may be ADDED, not substituted for a MM)
Batteries must be of the same size, type and voltage may be used - anything smaller is not permitted

As far as &#39;nice&#39; guys? I think they are. This may seem a little extreme but you come off fine here. New driver with a car you bought from someone else...no issues. Heck, almost every car in the classifieds lists something questionable as a &#39;feature&#39;.

If you think something is legal that someone else doesn&#39;t - debate it here - you will for sure learn all the angles!

AB

PS: Try lowercase...:)

RSTPerformance
05-18-2006, 03:30 PM
MARIOS-

I do think you are a great guy... personally I have NO ISSUES at all with you, and I believe you that you will fix the issues by the next race. As mentioned before I look forward to racing with you again in the near future. I don&#39;t think anyone else here or at the track has a problem with you either (even after the post). The posting sure is a wakeup call to some, and hopefully shows everyone that we want a legal class, sorry you had to be the example. I do realize it is/was a bold step that many here probably would want to take but don&#39;t to keep the peace.

On another side note, if you at all questioned the legality of the parts we talked about then I would NOT have posted anything that mentioned your name. I would have asked for a rules clarification from the BB and brought to you the resulting conversation at our next event.

I hope you have no hard feelings, and I hope you realize that your minor (IMO) example might help the entire class!!!

Raymond

PS: As for us not wanting anyone else to come in first... Sure we like to compete, and we love the enjoyment of harrasing our friends and getting harrased here and at the track, but to say we really care about the 2 cent trophie that much is a stupid statement and if it wasn&#39;t sarcastic (I hope it was) then it hurts my credability towards you. We have high goals for ourselves, but that keeps us going and we actually don&#39;t win that often. Our entire crew is generally the first ones in impound congradulating whomever all the winners are that had to go to impound. I personally have only 1 sprint race win and 1 endurance race win in my SCCA career.

PSS: Andy nice shot of the car!!!

gran racing
05-18-2006, 03:49 PM
You really only have one sprint race win??? Including the recent win in the rain at NHIS?

RSTPerformance
05-18-2006, 05:00 PM
yup... Stephen has a bit more, but I only have 1!!! Our cars perform well at tracks like Pocono, Watkins Glen and Road Atlanta because of top end power and speed IMO. At Pocono this past weekend it was fun watching SSM cars draft and start to pass, then hit thier peak speed, and we continued to accelerate as we can get up to about 130mph before the car runs out of gearing (tested on numerouse street cars in our "teenage" days). I think a VW and most other cars max out at about 120mph but I could be wrong.

In the rain (NHIS example), I think that we are (insert big head smiley :rolleyes: ) good drivers, but the cars also have a very long wheelbase making them handle a bit better than others. I also have an extensive background in ice racing, rallycross, as well as stage rally driving (no sanctioned pro or club rallies other than Mt Washington Hillclimb). That experience (controled events as well as homemade events in our teenage and current years) tought me a lot on how to drive in adverse conditions.

At tracks like Lime Rock and NHIS we have to really abuse the cars to be as fast as we are, but we generally are NOT the fastest cars on the track in ITB... Dave I expect you to be as fast or faster than us!!!

Raymond

PS: on a side note other Audi&#39;s hold or have held track records in the southeast as well as the midwest... while we hate to admit it our cars are far from the best, and will admit that anyday.

HOOSER 99
05-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Just my 2 cents....

He was told by a group of ITB drivers that we expect all repairs to be made by the next event. He was unaware of his illegality and was very understanding and willing to make changes.[/b]

I had Marios as a student at school at the Glen and that is the impression of the man that I took away from 2 days with him. I also got the impression that he bought the car as it was and he assumed it was legal.

I think that it was good of you guys to give him until the next event to fix the problems, BUT airing the whole thing out on a public forum is where I have a problem. If there is paper filed (see "A PROTEST STORY") then it is public record and you can go at it until your fingers bleed. In this case the man agreed to fix it by the next race, so shouldn&#39;t we give him until then, and then if it isn&#39;t done you have the options outlined by Jack Hannifan.

I think I know Raymond well enough to know that he only wants what is best for us as a group, just keep in mind there might be some embarrasment to other people.

jerry monaghan

PS the blethens aren&#39;t cheating----they just have 1 cylinder too many :lol:

RSTPerformance
05-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Jerry-

you bring up a good point... I felt this was a "new" way of dealing with something that we have all talked about for years on these BB as well as others. With some of the feedback and looking back on things I wonder if all this tizy is worth it to me. I am very open to doing what everyone else feels is best. I don&#39;t want to be the only one calling things out, but I think that I might be, wich will certainly disccourage me from doing it.

Feel free to debate/comment here or send me a PM, e-mail, or call me (603-738-6686) anytime. I am also available at the track if anyone is interested in discussing.

Sorry again Marios if I caused you any embarrasment, it wasn&#39;t ment to, and I have a tendance to see the glass 1/8 full rather than 7/8 empty so I try to look at the positives rather than the negatives, but I can certainly see your view. Personaly I feel you shouldn&#39;t be embarrased as you were clear to us that you were unaware (we all are unaware of things) and that you would fix it by next race. My only problem is others make that same promis and never follow through. If I were to never race with you again, how would anyone else know to check?

Raymond

Bildon
05-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Mario,
I too would like to apologize about my comment above and our discussion of parts that were not legal.

While I do remember having this discussion, I made an assumption that the parts everybody is talking about here are the parts that we were discussing on the phone. In retrospect I dont remember what parts I mentioned would not be legal in IT and I dont remember if you actually ever bought any non-IT parts from Bildon. Therefore I really should not have made the comments that I made above. :unsure:

MCTPE
05-19-2006, 05:00 PM
As I said in my e-mail to the Audi brothers, I would accept their apology, but the way they acted, especially
after our conversdation at the track I think that they did not act as human beings and I still feel very sorry for them because they luck some maturity, which apparently in their case case will come with age. Good luck to them.

lateapex911
05-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Ok, this has been hashed out many times... how to keep everyone legal??? I am not about to hash this out but rather proceed with a process that a group of ITB drivers agreed to at the last weekends event at Pocono. For whatever reason I am the most outspoken one so I am posting, but I certainly hope others post in the future when issues arise. Use this forum and "bump" it up in the future so we can be reminded when this process works...

The Process:
1) When known illegalities are found or known, inform the driver as a group that he/she has till the next event to fix it.

2) Post on an open forum (preferably this forum and thread) the illegal parts that are expected to be fixed.

3) Check at the next event he/she runs to be sure that he/she has fixed the known problems. - It is important that someone checks, not necessarily the poster or informer of the issues, as he/she may not be at the event. We can not ensure legal cars are running in ITB if people do not follow through with each side, the fixer and the checker!!!

4) If the car is found not to have been fixed a protest NEEDS/WILL be filed at every event their after until a resolution has arisen.
Now with that said, if a competitor has a legit reason for the illegal part (s) I/we am sure that we can be reasonable on extending the repair time, so long as it is not the reason the person is beating someone else. Example, if a competitor is running illegal shortened axles on a VW and he/she can not get it fixed for the next event due to financial constraints or mechanical knowledge constraints, we may be flexible, but please post on this forum any agreements that you may have so that legality is followed through in the end.

Raymond Blethen
ITB Audi Coupe #51

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

[/b]

Well.

I have given this a little thought.

First, as many know, I am not a fan of cheating. And I have put my money where my mouth is, so to speak. I also have been beaten up, to a degree, by the "system".

That said, I applaud efforts to keep classes clean. But there are downsides.

What happens when you THINK a guy is running, oh...say, just for giggles, high comp pistons? What do you do, go talk to him? And if he says "Thats great guys, but I&#39;m clean", what do you do? Protest? What if you lack the time? Or the $?? Then what? Post on the site?? What if he doesn&#39;t even have net access? See what can happen? No real proof, but a guilty stigma gets attached to the guy and he can&#39;t even defend himself. (A classic Mattberg tactic: Name the guy and his crime on some website somewhere, demand response, then label him guilty when none is forthcoming, all the time ignoring the fact the guy can&#39;t even spell "WWW", LOL)

And I&#39;m not sure if I&#39;m a fan of posting on the net any "We found XYZ items on Harry Balszacs Blowhard Special" either. Lots of downsides. What about the newbie? He might be driving a car he purchased assuming it was legal. That&#39;s a crime of the seller, not him. He&#39;s now one of the victims. If he balks and denies, or refuses to fix it reasonably, then it&#39;s protest time. Public humiliation is appropriate AFTER the verdict has come down, not before. Why? Because the protest process is a documented thing. Without third party documentation anyone can come post here, and say this or that, and the other guy can post this and that, and there is no reality to it. No documentation. It can become a he said, she said fiasco.

My suggestion, leave the names out of it. If you feel inclined to post, post the crime, but leave the car and the driver out of it. If it&#39;s not fixed in an appropriate period, then protest, and post the facts of the protest.

JMHO, but the net has become an effective mis-information tool, even among responsible users.

(I debated heavily when posting my "Protest story" and actually left out a variety of things that weren&#39;t easily documneted, and tried to be as factual as possible. I felt the facts would speak for themselves)

pfcs
05-19-2006, 10:00 PM
well put Jake. I fully agree.
this is a totally inappprpriate forum to accuse or judge someone illegal on.

RSTPerformance
05-22-2006, 01:19 PM
well put Jake. I fully agree.
this is a totally inappprpriate forum to accuse or judge someone illegal on.
[/b]

This might be a beaten dead horse :dead_horse: already, but I didn&#39;t notice the additional posts till a minute ago, and felt I should respond :rolleyes:

Phil-

I also agree... Totally inappropriate place to accuse or judge someone illegal. I do think it is a totally different story when it comes to non-questionable items especially those that the drivers agrees is illegal. I would NEVER accuse someone of being illegal in a forum such as this when I didn&#39;t have facts or a real life experience to back it up.

I don&#39;t like filing protests, and would like to see another method taken as a first step among drivers. From being on both sides of the fence as a steward IN TRAINING and a driver I think a first step before protests is healthy for all of us.

My retrospect thought on the process as a whole is that I would still rather suffer being "exposed" (as people seam to fear so much) first on an open forum with factual information rather than get protested and DSQ&#39;d at an event. To me this approach is far more favorable to all parties involved, however once again I support the class as a whole, or the group of people who are at the event. However it is handled is fine with me. I will request that if this route is taken again someone else in the group posts next time so that I am not the only one targeted as the mean guy.

On a side note I respect any and all private comments or anonymous comments that have been made to me outside this forum vie phone, e-mail and PM&#39;s. Feel free to continue to contact me to discuss. I am working with a few people on another idea that might be more favorable amongst my fellow drivers/competitors. Once I get some feedback I will make a posting for others to chime in with their thoughts.

Once again, thanks to all for their comments good and bad. I certainly think this has been a productive thread that has us actually thinking and making a change. I know I am sick of listening to rumors and seeing no action (With exception to "a protest story" and the one protest in SM last year both with vastly different results).

Raymond &#39;Sometimes I wonder if my efforts are worth it?" Blethen

67ITB
05-23-2006, 04:58 AM
To join in here late…… and go back a few days ……

From what my source tells me the shortening of the axle is some thing that people do when they lower the early VW’s way too far. If the car is set at the “proper” ride height it’s not an issue.
Either way it’s still cheating, but kind of funny that its cheating to fix a “problem” that makes the car handle worse than if it was at the correct height. I could not even begin to explain (cause I am no suspension engineer) but some thing about the control arms not being level or at least higher in the center of the car.

So I guess my race car looking like a 4x4 is a good thing!!!

Matt Bal

JLawton
05-23-2006, 06:20 AM
To join in here late…… and go back a few days ……

From what my source tells me the shortening of the axle is some thing that people do when they lower the early VW’s way too far. If the car is set at the “proper” ride height it’s not an issue.
Matt Bal
[/b]

Even at the proper ride height, the axle can jam the little seal between the axle and the tranny. Ask me how I know........... It tore the seal (it&#39;s not really a seal, more like a metal plug??) and pieces got into the CV joint and destroyed it.....

67ITB
05-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Come on Jeff,
I thought it broke from the way that car kept running into things..... I see it’s still a crash magnet.

I remember inspecting the exhaust of the car through turn 3 at NHIS. (I cant remember if that was you or Tommy)

Matt Bal