PDA

View Full Version : Any Pocono Updates?

Jeremy Billiel
05-13-2006, 06:43 PM
As the title says... Any Updates?

Andy Bettencourt
05-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Group 5: Dry Qual and Wet but drying race - 5 seconds off qual times. Good fields - over 15 cars each.

ITS, ITA and ITC

ITS:
K. VanSteenburg 944S
R. Driscoll 323i
J. Harding RX-7

ITA:
G. Amy NX2000
J. Dimino SE-R
A. Bettencourt Miata

Greg and Kip both won going away and waxed everyone in qualifying. Great drives.

Jeremy Billiel
05-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Damn I hate being home! Congrats Greg!

RSTPerformance
05-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Results-

ITB-

Qualifying :
1st and Pole - Stephen Blethen 1:58.80
2nd in class - Rick Belziack 1:58.86
1st time out with this car (Newly Classified Honda Civic) in an SCCA event... could it be the new car to beat?
3rd in class - Nat Wentworth 2:01.98
4th in class - Charles Gerundo 2:02.80
5th in class - Tim Mullen 2:03.39

Race :
1st in class - Rick Belziack 1:59.68, better than existing track record - yup this is a great car for the class!!! Great run Rick!!!
2nd in class - Raymond Blethen 1:59.64, New Track Record - Started the race last after failing to qualify.
3rd in class - Stephen Blethen, Car troubles
4th in class - Tim Mulle
5th in class - Marios Tinis ?

It was a blast running with all the SMM cars as well as the SS cars... everyone seemed to be aware of each different cars strengths/weaknesses... Tomorrow should be fun!!!

Raymond :happy204:

BobsAuto
05-14-2006, 09:58 AM
Raymond!!!!Congrats on the new track record!!!!! As of now, you are NARRC leader in points and Stephen is 2nd in points, I believe. AWESOME!!!!!! Will this be Raymond's year to win the championship??????

Looking forward to today's update. So far, my Mother's Day present is panning out to be a really nice one.
Thank you!

dazzlesa
05-14-2006, 10:26 AM
driscols bmw looked like it should be going to a fancey dinner not racing.gregs car was fast in qualifying! too bad it was wet but the ITA/ITS race was a good one to watch. andy, windell and tim were coming.on the last lap joe,andy,windell and tim were together entering the chicane.
the ITB/sm race was a blast. too bad that the audi's had there issues.the miata's were fun. i can pull them out of the chicane but they had top end and boy can they draft. i recall one lap that i was leading down the front stretch and 3 or 4 of them way on the inside drafting buy me.ok you can have turn one!
I hope sunday was as fun. rick

BobsAuto
05-14-2006, 05:52 PM
Any news on today's events at Pocono? Looking to see if the Blethen boys finished making my Mom's Day present complete! :D :happy204:

dominojd
05-14-2006, 07:25 PM
Group 5: Dry Qual and Wet but drying race - 5 seconds off qual times. Good fields - over 15 cars each.

ITS, ITA and ITC

ITS:
K. VanSteenburg 944S
R. Driscoll 323i
J. Harding RX-7

ITA:
G. Amy NX2000
J. Dimino SE-R
A. Bettencourt Miata

Greg and Kip both won going away and waxed everyone in qualifying. Great drives.
[/b]

Same finishing order as saturday. WOW where did those Nissans come from. :P
I have to give props to Ben awsome drive. He started 28 after a bad valve stem in sat. race came back to finish 4th today. He was a man on a mission.

Tkczecheredflag
05-14-2006, 08:54 PM
I have to give props to Ben awsome drive. He started 28 after a bad valve stem in sat. race came back to finish 4th today. He was a man on a mission.
[/b]
I spoke to Greg today and I thought he said it was Greg, Windell and Joe in "A" today. Rick great run in the "B" car on Saturday - A great race to watch. Raymond, way to peddle. Congrats to Greg (smokin'), Joe, Andy and Windell.

Jeremy Billiel
05-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Tim - Where you there? How is the new car shaking out?

Andy Bettencourt
05-14-2006, 09:22 PM
I spoke to Greg today and I thought he said it was Greg, Windell and Joe in "A" today. Rick great run in the "B" car on Saturday - A great race to watch. Raymond, way to peddle. Congrats to Greg (smokin'), Joe, Andy and Windell. [/b]

Today's race was much different than Saturdays. End result the same but...

Greg drove off as on Sat but developed a push and was not able to continue his get away. Windell and Joe had a great 7-8 lap battle that went to the checker with me in tow. I never really had a shot at them as they drafted each other lap after lap leaving me in the dust and keeping Greg in their sites.

Windell got DQ'd as he crossed the scales at 2005 weight instead of 2006...it was a great race to watch from about 15 feet behind when on the infield and about 100 feet behind when out on the big end.

Hat's off to Greg and Joe. Hopefully it won't be as easy at LRP. :birra:

AB

Tkczecheredflag
05-15-2006, 05:30 AM
Tim - Where you there? How is the new car shaking out?
[/b]
Jeremy - Really enjoyed the car - It is starting to feel familiar to me. Was able to get a decent start on Saturday and moved up to P3 from P6. Andy smoked me in the infield on lap two ro three. Thought that I would hold 4th - then Windell and I got racey -swapped 4th a couple of times and I finished in 5th. My biggest chllenge now is learning how deep I can take the car into the breaking zone. That being said I still think the Nissans are make great power not to mention ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM.

Congrats again to all the fellas. :happy204:

Any update on the ENDURO???

dominojd
05-15-2006, 05:31 AM
Hat's off to Greg and Joe. Hopefully it won't be as easy at LRP. :birra:

AB
[/b]

Hey I'll be the one pointing you by at LRP. :D It was fun as hell trying to swat off the fast ass mosquito. Great racing with ya.

BobsAuto
05-15-2006, 08:00 AM
ITB race -- reports from Raymond and Stephen while they were travelling home.....

Stephen took first and Raymond took 2nd which still leaves Raymond in first placde in the NARRC points. Way to go guys!

In the Enduro, Stephen and his dad, Ray, co-drove in Stephen's car. They finished two laps ahead of the competition with a new track record of 1:58:10!!!!!
Outstanding!

Now they are back to the flood ravaged areas of NE. Ray can't get to either of his houses, Stephen faired ok and Raymond is back to work to try to keep the bus terminal from going under when the Merrimack reaches its crest tomorrow at 10 feet above flood stage. This is the worst flooding since the floods of 1936!!!!

Again, thanks guys for the wonderful Mother's Day present!

Jeremy Billiel
05-15-2006, 08:25 AM
Jeremy - Really enjoyed the car - It is starting to feel familiar to me. Was able to get a decent start on Saturday and moved up to P3 from P6. Andy smoked me in the infield on lap two ro three. Thought that I would hold 4th - then Windell and I got racey -swapped 4th a couple of times and I finished in 5th. My biggest chllenge now is learning how deep I can take the car into the breaking zone. That being said I still think the Nissans are make great power not to mention ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM.

Congrats again to all the fellas. :happy204:

Any update on the ENDURO???
[/b]

Tim - I found in my car that it is better to brake earlier and be on the gas earlier. Having no torque hurts when you drive deep and can't pull through the corner.

Andy Bettencourt
05-15-2006, 08:44 AM
ITA - more detail

Saturday: Wet start but drying. Not dry by end of race - all on dry tires.

Name Car Fast Lap
Greg Amy NX2000 1:58.960
Joe DiMinno SE-R 2:01.363
Andy Bettencourt Miata 2:01.054
Windell Holmes Integra 2:00.254
Tim Klvana Integra 2:01.251

Sunday: Dry but cool. Last lap started to rain, one more lap and cars would have started flying off the track. Track record is a 1:53.227 I believe set in 2005 by Windell Holmes on May 14th. I think ITB, SSM and SM all set track records Sunday.

Name Car Fast Lap
Greg Amy NX2000 1:53.269
Joe DiMinno SE-R 1:53.429
Andy Bettencourt Miata 1:54.189
Victor Gangi Integra 1:55.500
Ed Rodier Integra 1:55.443

jcmotorsports
05-15-2006, 08:54 AM
Raymond
I had a blast running with you on Saturday. we made a heck of a run from the back. I ran faster than I ever have in the Honda and I think you set a new record?? :035:

Greg Amy
05-15-2006, 09:32 AM
This was a very good weekend for Kakashi Racing.

The weekend started out right, and continued that way throughout; I was telling Joe that we musta had the racing angels watching over us. From being the very first two cars in line for registration on Friday to not having *any* major mechanical problems, it was just one of those once-in-a-while Good Weekends.

Joe and I are both real surprised at the results. It's not that we didn't expect to do well; we most certainly did, given our cars' strength is engine, not handling. Still, we are a bit surprised and flattered that this course favored our cars so much. You should have seen Joe after the qualifying session results were posted; the guy didn't come off Cloud 9 all day!

The qualifying session was a good clean one. The track is large and wide open enough such that you have the flexibility of either running solo or with others, at your convenience. The long straights allow drivers to sufficiently separate the diverse horsepower and handling advantages/disadvantages, and folks tend to stay out of each other's way. Since I'd never run this course (I hadn't raced at Pocono since the Double National in 1992, and it was a different track config) I followed out "Mr. This Is My Home Track" DiMinno. He was right: there's not really a lot to this track. Go fast, apex late, push on the loud pedal on the straights. Joe and I hooked up in the draft and pulled off some quick laps for 1-2 qualifying - 7th and 10th overall of 30 cars - with Andy Bettoncourt and Ed Rodier knocking on Joe's rear deck lid.

Then the skies started to overdevelop and thunderstorms were forming. Two sessions prior to our race the skies opened up and dumped serious rain. Get this NER folks: it actually SLEETED again (is this a new tradition?) It was not one of these New England all-day-low-clouds pisser kinds of rains, it was a Midwest thunderstorms-pounding-your-head-and-then-sunshine kinda rains. Everyone stood in the garages, under canopies, and inside trailers watching the skies trying to figure out what to do, and we had two race groups to figure it out. Up to ten minutes before our race it was still pissing rain, but it seemed to be draining well enough. With five-to-the-five most folks tempted the Fates and proceeded to the grid with dry tires.

Race #1 was a wildcard, depending on where you were in the field. The rain had stopped and the track drained, but the surface was still wet. Polesitter Kip VanSteenburg paced the field at a very fast clip and Joe made a KEE-ILLER start, passing me going under the green flag. We were surrounded by ITS cars jockeying for position so I tucked in behind Crazy Joe, fully expecting him to take out a few of &#39;em for me <grin>. Things settled in within a lap (folks spread out quick there) and I stuck my nose on Joe&#39;s, uh, derriere and watched the mirrors to see who&#39;s working their way up. Then I see it, my arch-nemesis: Andy Bettoncourt in the blue mosquito. Damn Miata! And he&#39;s rolling his way forward, catching Joe and me.

Flash back 15 years: I was racing my NX in SSB at the &#39;92 Runoffs. Mark Youngquist (in another NX2000) and I broke away from the field and charged forward, with me in arrears. I was faster, but I called in on the radio to Matt Kessler (yep, same guy!) and asked him to find Youngquist&#39;s crew and tell him to stop blocking me, that we&#39;d work together to draft away and work it out between ourselves late in the race. Mark continued to run defensively, Matt couldn&#39;t find Youngquist&#39;s crew, and a train of cars was rolling up on us. Matt was yelling, "F*** him; pass him and let HIM deal with them!!" but I was determined to work together. Long story short, the train caught us, I got knocked off the track by - and tangled with - an eventual multi-time national champion, and Mark went on to win the gold medal uncontested.

I was DETERMINED to not let this happen again, I wanted that first ITA win. So, I drafted my poor buddy Joe into the chicane, passed him, and dove into the lead. Not to be outdone, Joe gave me a nice tap on the quarter on turn-in to let me know how much he loved me. Bastard <grin>.

From that point forward it was a matter of managing traffic and keeping Joe at a safe distance. I worked my tail off to get past slower traffic and get some buffer between me and Joe, extended the lead as Joe got caught in traffic, and on top of that Joe was getting his butt knawed on by the mosquito. As the track dried and a dry line developed, everyone got faster, but a cople of laps from the end the sky got REAL dark it started to sprinkle! That "1" board couldn&#39;t come fast enough, but except for the rain scare it made for an anti-climactic finish - for me, anyway.

The weather on Sunday was a bit more stable, with low clouds, close temp/dewpoint spreads, and mist but no rain forecast. We started in the order of finish from Saturday, which put me in 4th overall, Joe in 6th, and Andy and Windell Holmes right behind. I was on my guard at the start and led Joe into T1, passing a couple of ITS RX-7s. Jeff Harding in an ITS RX-7 caught and passed, then Ben Phillips in his ITS car made a demon pass to slot in behind Jeff. I tried to hang with these guys to build a buffer to my buddy Joe, but they were just too fast on the straights. Joe did get caught behind some cars so I did have some room to breathe, but right about that time I started to develop a monster push in the infield. To make matters worse, Windell had caught and passed Joe and they began working together to catch me. I was running solo with no drafting partner, the push was getting worse, so I just put my head down and drove as clean as I could to maintain the distance. Right about the time I calculated they&#39;d catch me in two laps, the "1" board came out at start/finish; I knew that unless I did something stupid it was in the bag. I didn&#39;t, and crossed the checkered flag with a comfortable margin, 5th overall, with Windell, Joe, and Andy 2nd through 4th. Unfortunately, Mr. Holmes neglected to read his Fastracks and was DQ&#39;d for being underweight, so the official finish copied Saturday&#39;s.

Overall, as you can imagine I&#39;m quite pleased. These are the first (of many, I hope) wins for the car in ITA livery, and a satisfactory result of five years of determined work, engineering, and fabrication. I can&#39;t say enough for the efforts of Matt and myself in finally garnering the results we&#39;ve been so earnestly seeking. However, this race foreshadows the potential of not only Joe DiMinno in his rocket Nissan but Andy Bettencourt in that demon Miata; somehow I suspect I won&#39;t be close enough to swat that mosquito at LRP...

It was fun, wish your were all there. See you at NHIS. - GA

Andy Bettencourt
05-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Then I see it, my arch-nemesis: Andy Bettoncourt in the blue mosquito. Damn Miata! And he&#39;s rolling his way forward, catching Joe and me.

It was fun, wish your were all there. See you at NHIS. - GA
[/b]

Yes you will!

http://www.ccthealth.org/images/mosquito.jpg

StephF
05-15-2006, 10:49 AM
To the Blethen crew, AKA RSTPerformance...
:023: :023: :023: :023:
THANK YOU!!!!! for all the help you gave me at Pocono! (and for Stephen calling me a &#39;chick&#39; :happy204: )
These guys were the best this weekend. It would have been a lot harder trying to get the car fixed and all the running around for the enduro without these guys.
I enjoyed the weekend, and would gladly pit with you guys anytime. Hope that you both had a safe trip home, and that your homes are OK with this flooding.
We&#39;ll see you at NHIS when we all go up for the Memorial Day speedboat races.... :rolleyes:
Steph

DaveITB1
05-15-2006, 12:25 PM
Anyone get a photo/video of the wheel coming off my car at the beginning of the enduro?
Lug bolts on the front left fatiged and snapped, turning my bmw into a trike.
I heard I gave the folks in the pits a small spark show!!java script:emoticon(&#39;:wacko:&#39;,%20&#39;smid_26&#39;)
The 320i (aka The Pretzel) is now officially retired. Out comes the sawz-all.java script:emoticon(&#39;:o&#39;,%20&#39;smid_22&#39;)

Congrats to the Blethens in a VERY successful weekend for RST Performance.
Congrats to White Rock Racing as well - I told you enduros are fun !!

Dave

benspeed
05-15-2006, 04:34 PM
[/b]

Thanks Crazy Joe! That was one of the best races all time. Jeff Harding and I put on a show during that race that defines quality bump drafting up until the starter started point the black flag at us in a very agresive "cut that crap out" gesture. Only problem was Jeff beat me to the line by less than half a car. Flatout Power - no pun intended! Nick oughta be proud a new "quick shoe" bought the 04. Jeff will have some serious smack down for the rest of ITS.

This will likely be my last ITS race for the season at least. I pick up the completed SPO car tomorrow and will test it at LRP on 6/6. Glad I wasn&#39;t racing it at Pocono with the freaky weather.

Like I told a bunch of friends - leaving ITS is like breaking up with a really hot girl and then wanting her back!

And PS - Crazy Joe drove the race of his life - you got friggin fast - that Nissan will have some smack down for the rest of ITA. Hoist that podium trophy, Joe! :smilie_pokal:

Cheers,

RSTPerformance
05-15-2006, 07:33 PM
Thanks mom for the posts… what am I to post now that you already did???

Ok I can think of something…

Sunday went well, but not perfect.

Sprint Races:

Wish that Rick was around; I think that Stephen would have had a great race with him. Unfortunately I blew up a RF strut insert on the 2nd lap. (When I mean blew up, I mean blew up… When you jack up the car the wheel/Suspension stays on the ground as the insides of the strut stay with the car.) The car would not turn left as the tire was flopping around (the tire was turning any which way as nothing was supporting the alignment with the strut blown apart). This made it impossible for me to compete with my brother. All I could do was hope that he would not beat my track record and I would have that for bragging rights still!!! I struggled with the blown strut and flopping wheel for the entire race… some say I am crazy as they would have stopped but I figured WTF I already missed one session Saturday, might as well go for it!!! I drove the car as hard but as gentle as I could and was able to hold off the very fast Tim Mullen in his ITB VW Golf. Every time we went through the infield I got worried as he closed the gap. Stephen drove away to an easy win, but lucky for me he turned a 1:59.66 not good enough to beat my track record of a 1:59.64 that I set on Saturday!!! The ITB field needs to start worrying as Tim Mullen has picked up the pace and turned a 1:59.8 in the Golf III with no brakes.

Endurance Race:

After the sprint race was over it was time to prep for the endurance race. My brother and my father were running that. Within a few laps dad was turning 2:00 lap times and both me and my brother were a bit worried he might beat both of us!!! Dad was in first place in ITB by the first turn and he never turned back as he drove great, despite ignoring a few meatball flags that he received due to the hood pin that came off. Stephen got in the car and was still a bit upset about that track record, and apparently he decided it wasn’t going to last. With a full tank of gas he went out and ripped of 1:58 lap times over and over, putting all of us to shame. His best time and new track record was a 1:58.1… I hate to say it, but beating the record by nearly 2 seconds deserves some props!!! Thanks to all the other ITB cars for a fun race, hope you all enjoyed it as much as we did, see you at another enduro soon!!!

A little more fun for us in the pits was crewing for Steph Funk in the ITC car… What a race they had!!! Before the race started we decided that we would need to fuel 2 times for the endurance race because of the small fuel cell. We decided to do the first stop at 45 minutes and the second one at 1 hour and 30-45 minutes or so. When we made the first pit stop we saw that the tank was still half full, and it wouldn’t have been necessary for us to make the 2 stops. We were a bit bummed as we new that the second pit stop would probably loose us the race with both ITC cars so close to each other. We decided to gamble and leave her out instead of pulling her in for a second pit stop. Then the full course yellow came out and we decided to bring her in… Unfortunately the track went green as she came in so we sent her right back out to try and catch the other ITC car. Unfortunately on that lap she ran out of gas and stumbled into the pits. We splashed her with gas and she drove off to catch the checkered 3 laps later. It was a great race that kept all of us pacing in pit lane.

My Special Thanks:

I have to give props and a special thanks to BB Racing for transporting the Red/Silver Audi. I haven’t talk to them so I am guessing the car made it home safely (Well to their racing “fortress” or “Stable”). If anyone is looking for a professional transport crew that will take care of everything be sure to give them a call.

Rumors that I herd… what do other think?:

The Endurance Race being from 7:00pm – 10:00pm Saturday night?

Pocono registration being fixed for 2007? While the people that helped me this year in registration were wonderful, the entire process was the worst I have ever seen since I started racing. It took well over 45 minutes to register and I was in the front of the line.

Hope all is well…

Raymond

BobsAuto
05-15-2006, 08:33 PM
Well, I just got their excitement peaked for your wonderful blow by blow description of the weekend. This is the first Mother&#39;s Day I wish I was in Pocono (it always rained there when I went) rather than in NH, floating away to MA.

wdether
05-15-2006, 09:04 PM
Today&#39;s race was much different than Saturdays. End result the same but...

Greg drove off as on Sat but developed a push and was not able to continue his get away. Windell and Joe had a great 7-8 lap battle that went to the checker with me in tow. I never really had a shot at them as they drafted each other lap after lap leaving me in the dust and keeping Greg in their sites.

Windell got DQ&#39;d as he crossed the scales at 2005 weight instead of 2006...it was a great race to watch from about 15 feet behind when on the infield and about 100 feet behind when out on the big end.

Hat&#39;s off to Greg and Joe. Hopefully it won&#39;t be as easy at LRP. :birra:

AB
[/b]

Andy,
It didn&#39;t occur to me during impound but you weren&#39;t required to show up at impound. Since Windell was DQ&#39;d you automatically moved up to third. If your car was found to be underweight you would have been DQ&#39;d as well. Just a note for the future.

Windell&#39;s unfortunate DQ points out the importance of reading the fastrack each month. No tech worker that I know enjoys doing that type of paperwork.

I&#39;ll see some of you at the Summit 12-hour (crewing hopefully) and during one or more of the regionals at Limerock.

Bill Etherington
NNJR

Andy Bettencourt
05-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Andy,
It didn&#39;t occur to me during impound but you weren&#39;t required to show up at impound. Since Windell was DQ&#39;d you automatically moved up to third. If your car was found to be underweight you would have been DQ&#39;d as well. Just a note for the future.

Bill Etherington
NNJR [/b]

Bill,

I am not sure what you are saying. When you finish 4th, it is a smart idea to get in line at impound (when only the top 3 are required) - and I did. I was the last car in line and was weighed on Sunday (just as I was on Saturday when I finished 3rd). 19lbs overweight @ 2399.

Tkczecheredflag
05-16-2006, 05:43 AM
Andy,

Windell&#39;s unfortunate DQ points out the importance of reading the fastrack each month. No tech worker that I know enjoys doing that type of paperwork.

I&#39;ll see some of you at the Summit 12-hour (crewing hopefully) and during one or more of the regionals at Limerock.

Bill Etherington
NNJR
[/b]
Bill - For those of us who finished behind Windell on Saturday (he got past my heavier legal car on the last lap to take P-4), will he be DQ&#39;d and the race results amended for Saturday too? Our team CPM Motorsports spent time on the scales Saturday and made sure we were hitting our numbers - We read and referrenced FastTrack on Saturday, supplied to us by tech. Sorry Windell, but I have to ask. It is not unprecedented to strip points for admitting a mistake - Ask Dan Sheppard - Right Dan?

I made this inquiry yesterday and I am interested in the response Bill.

wdether
05-16-2006, 05:47 AM
Bill,

I am not sure what you are saying. When you finish 4th, it is a smart idea to get in line at impound (when only the top 3 are required) - and I did. I was the last car in line and was weighed on Sunday (just as I was on Saturday when I finished 3rd). 19lbs overweight @ 2399.
[/b]

Andy,
It is always your option to get in the impound line if you know you are 4th but you do risk the chance of a DQ if you are underweight or non-compliant in another area. On the other hand, if you are not sure whether you finished in 3rd or 4th I would suggest getting in the impound line.

I am not discouraging you from going to impound, it is always your choice. What I was saying is that you didn&#39;t have to be weighed since you knew you finished in 4th. We only asked for the top three in each class to report to impound. If any of the top three are disqualified due to being underweight or another tech issue, the 4th place car is bumped up to 3rd. In that case the 4th place car does not have to be weighed or be in the impound line. The same thing happened to a car on Saturday. If the race calls for impounding the top 4, the same would hold for the 5th place car. This is what I was taught. Fortunately you did made the weight.

Races like the Runoffs may be a little different, they might have to do compliance checks on the top 4 or 5 cars to find three compliant ones. They would also pull in the top 5 or 6 cars in a class to impound. I am not sure what the procedure is during the ARRC Championships.

Bill E.

dominojd
05-16-2006, 05:48 AM
Bill,

[/b]

Andy did weight his car on sunday.
The only thing is I though I saw a crew guy climbing in the trunk. :D

JLawton
05-16-2006, 06:13 AM
Hey Joe, nice job!!!

Did I see you signed up for NHIS?? Gonna make the long trip to kick some more butt?? We have a garage space for you if you need it!!

Greg Amy
05-16-2006, 06:24 AM
Andy, Bill&#39;s 100% correct, and I was thinking the same thing when I saw you in Tech (meant to mention it to you). There was no requirement for you to appear at impound, no matter what happened in front of you. In fact, it&#39;s a BAD idea to appear in impound unless you have any doubt as to your on-track position. If anyone ahead of you was DQ&#39;d and someone in Tech suggested you are required to go across the scales after reporting to your garage, you could have protested them.

The reason that you hear about "report to impound if you have any doubt" is so that if you actually are supposed to appear (in this case, you were top three) and you aren&#39;t sure, you do appear and Tech tells you to go away. That old saw was NOT so you could get inspected when you&#39;re not supposed to. Witness Dave at the ARRC versus you last Sunday.

Another example of that was Windell on Saturday: had one of us been DQ&#39;d for weight (or something the Tech guy saw in impound), Windell would never have been required to go across the scales. He would have retained his position regardless. Windell, in all technicalities and realities of the rules, was 100% totally legal on Saturday as far as Tech is concerned.

Tim: the results of Saturday are final and not protestable. As described above, once Tech loses control of a car there is no way to verify its integrity. We know that the reason he was underweight Sunday was due to not reading the Fastracks, so it&#39;s entirely reasonable to assume he was underweight Saturday, too. However, assuming Windell had kept mum, who&#39;s to know if the car was of legal weight on Saturday and underweight Sunday? Once Tech lost control of the car, it&#39;s a done deal.

Another example: 1991 Runoffs the top 6 were impounded in SSA. IIRC, the winner was DQ&#39;d for a technicality and there was question as to the legality of the rest of us, and the teardown began for on-track 2nd through fourth (I was fifth, as I recall). Tech wanted to weigh the 7th place car (their goal being to have the top 6 cars weighed). The driver of the 7th place car (Bill Burleigh?) did it right: he parked his car on his trailer, locked up his motorhome, and walked away (or left the track?). There were numerous announcements for him to bring his car to impound and he simply ignored them. Whether he was legal to the rules or not was a moot point: Tech had lost control of the car and its integrity could not be verified; he was completely within the rules to tell them to go pound sand. He kept his 6th place finish (the rest of the cars passed).

GA

Greg Amy
05-16-2006, 06:40 AM
Another thing, Andy: technically, you should have been IMMEDIATELY DQ&#39;d when you drove from the scales to your garage stall on Saturday. It&#39;s irrelevant that your garage is a couple of stalls over from Tech, well within eyesight of them. The moment Tech lost control of your car when it was required to sit in Impound for 30 minutes, you were toast. It was only through the graces of the guys working there - and no doubt the integrity of your reputation - that it was allowed to slide.

I almost did the same thing Saturday. Not being familiar with the track, I looked around after going across the scales and saw no one else. I figured we were done but I made a distinct point of looking over at the Tech guy and specifically asking, "Are we released?" He replied "NO! Go over there with the others." That&#39;s when I looked over and saw Kip and Driscoll under that shed.

Always ask, never assume. - GA

Andy Bettencourt
05-16-2006, 06:53 AM
Bill,

I now understand what you are saying. There was no danger of me being underweight as I had crossed the scales the previous day and knew how they &#39;read&#39;.

Thanks!

AB

Another thing, Andy: technically, you should have been IMMEDIATELY DQ&#39;d when you drove from the scales to your garage stall on Saturday. It&#39;s irrelevant that your garage is a couple of stalls over from Tech, well within eyesight of them. The moment Tech lost control of your car when it was required to sit in Impound for 30 minutes, you were toast. It was only through the graces of the guys working there - and no doubt the integrity of your reputation - that it was allowed to slide.

I almost did the same thing Saturday. Not being familiar with the track, I looked around after going across the scales and saw no one else. I figured we were done but I made a distinct point of looking over at the Tech guy and specifically asking, "Are we released?" He replied "NO! Go over there with the others." That&#39;s when I looked over and saw Kip and Driscoll under that shed.

Always ask, never assume. - GA
[/b]

I agree with you there Greg. I think the reason nothing happened was that nobody from impound saw me drive the 20 feet to my pit. There really should have been someone waving people to the correct spot as it was very easy to look out and see nothing.

Live and learn! I know where impound is at LRP!!! :)

Tkczecheredflag
05-16-2006, 07:15 AM
Tim: the results of Saturday are final and not protestable. As described above, once Tech loses control of a car there is no way to verify its integrity. We know that the reason he was underweight Sunday was due to not reading the Fastracks, so it&#39;s entirely reasonable to assume he was underweight Saturday, too. However, assuming Windell had kept mum, who&#39;s to know if the car was of legal weight on Saturday and underweight Sunday? Once Tech loss control of the car, it&#39;s a done deal.

GA
[/b]
Greg - I am in agreement with you, (and the rules) regarding tech loosing control of a car during impound. Frankly, I would be pissed if I was in Windell&#39;s shoes and was DQ&#39;d for Saturday race based on an infraction discovered on Sunday. The basis for asking the question stemmed from Dan Sheppard&#39;s stripping of points for an entire season concerning an intake issue on his ZOOM ZOOM a few years back. Seems odd that his (Dan&#39;s) admitted infraction (unknown to him as well), allowed officials to go back and take action on his previous races already "official", then but not now. Either I have this situation all wrong or there is some inconsistency reagrding impound and techical control. Straighten me out if I am wrong about Dan&#39;s situation with his Mazda.

gran racing
05-16-2006, 07:48 AM
Witness Dave at the ARRC versus you last Sunday.[/b]

I was seventh! Even the guy on the intercom said so. :unsure:

I&#39;m certainly learning a lot about impound proceedures lately.

Greg Amy
05-16-2006, 07:48 AM
...if I was in Windell&#39;s shoes and was DQ&#39;d for Saturday race based on an infraction discovered on Sunday...[/b]
He would not have been. If he had, he could have appealed and he would have won the appeal.

Dan Sheppard&#39;s stripping of points for an entire season concerning an intake issue...[/b]
I am not familiar with Dan&#39;s case, so I cannot speak to it specifically. However, GCR 14.11 allows stripping of accrued points based on severity of the infraction. Note that it&#39;s highly unlikely that his finishing positions in those races were reversed; I&#39;m confident he was found illegal, admitted he had been running it all this time, and the officials decided to strip his points.

Of course, as I noted, I am not familiar with that specific incident, but there is no allowance in the GCR for reversing results of prior races once they are official. - GA

RSTPerformance
05-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Tim-

The stewards could make the decision to strip some or all of his accrued points for the season. Even if they had I do not think that it would have any affect on anyone else’s points, IE: They would not go back and re-distribute points from past races.

Raymond

dickita15
05-16-2006, 09:18 AM
Greg is right. dan kept his previous finishes. by the way it was an exhaust manifold thay had been welded and the weld ground down, not intake. remember this was SM. He told them he had fixed the manifold at the begining of the season so they DQed him from that race and took his points fron the season.

Bildon
05-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Sounds like you guys had some fun...

We spent the week installing the new motor and tuning and programming on 2 different dynos .... after that (Friday night) I had run out of time and energy to do a final prep so I towed home from the dyno I was working on in CT and drove right by the track. Yup, drove right by the Long Pond exit! I think I was asleep too! :015:

Anyway... hope to see you NARRC guys at Watkins Glen! And I plan to make a trip to Lime Rock with the Corrado, once I get the 300hp all smoothed out :D Testing at Nelson Friday.

Some pix of the alchemy ....

http://www.bildon.com/pub/dyno/Corrado.jpg

http://www.bildon.com/pub/dyno/Corrado9.jpg

http://www.bildon.com/pub/dyno/DataAq07.jpg

RSTPerformance
05-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Bill/Don

We missed you guys, but for good reason it appears... Hope all the hard work pays off, and you kick some but!!!

Raymond

jcmotorsports
05-17-2006, 04:41 PM
hey bill
are you bringing that beast to the glen? i&#39;m bringing the rx7 and looking forward to a great race!!!! I haven&#39;t runb the car in a while, but i will have a new set of hankooks and i will be looking to go faster than i did in october.

RSTPerformance
05-17-2006, 04:54 PM
John-

I can&#39;t keep up with you in the RX-7... :( bring the SSC car!!! :happy204:

Raymond

jcmotorsports
05-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Man ,I had a blast running to the front with you Raymond so I guess i&#39;m going to have to bring both cars!!!! :D

benspeed
05-19-2006, 12:41 PM
The results for Pocono are now up on Mylaps.com

PS - Jeff Harding - send me an email at [email protected] - the video of our race is very cool - let&#39;s trade videos.

RSTPerformance
05-19-2006, 01:48 PM
The results for Pocono are now up on Mylaps.com
[/b]

Tanks for the update!!!

Also just a small thing, not that important but:

The following was taken from Mylaps website:

**Due to the distance between the Start/Finish line and the AMB timing line, AMB lapchart may not reflect the actual race result for this event.**

The ITB results are infact incorrect. Any possibility of getting this fixed on the mylaps website? I know the "Final" results printed from timing are correct.

Raymond

Bildon
05-19-2006, 06:11 PM
hey bill
are you bringing that beast to the glen?
[/b]

Yup. Always run the Glen. Dont know how racey I&#39;ll be as the car is still not fully developed.
However maybe by then I&#39;ll have enough test days and will have worked out any bugs. To this day it&#39;s still only a Dyno queen. Not many track laps at all since the full conversion to ITS spec. The suspension is still a big "?"

I wanted to get out to Nelson today but the weather wasn&#39;t cooperating.

Bill Miller
05-20-2006, 06:33 AM
Car looks great Bill!!! :023: