PDA

View Full Version : Cendiv Guy coming to LRP

Rabbit07
05-03-2006, 12:25 PM
I am planning a trip to the east in August. It happens to land on the same weekend as the regional at Lime Rock. I have been there twice, but never raced there. What should I know? Is there a test day( In '04 the test for the National was on Tuesday :( )? How early does the track open? I don't know whether I'll be bringing my ITB Mustang or my ITA Neon. I am sure either should be a ball.

Thanks in advance.

StephF
05-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Hello, and welcome to New England! LRP is a blast. Very much a momentum track.
For track specifics, including test day schedule, check Lime Rock's website. Their tuning and testing are always on Tuesdays. They are held in the afternoons, usually from 1 to 5 p.m. The price did go up rather significantly. I believe that it's now $275. You do have to have a valid competition license, and all of the proper safety gear.
You are probably aware that they don't race on Sundays, so they run Fridays and Saturdays for everyday events. The track is open by (if I remember correctly) 6 or 7 a.m. Registration is what will dictate when you can get in. You should be able to pull the schedule off of the supps. In the past, track management has allowed people in ahead of time, space permitting. (they have drivng and racing schools going on there a lot)I haven't run there in a year or so, so you may want to check on that. (1-800-RACE-LRP)
For lodging, I recommend White Hollow Inn, a mile down the road. You never actually see the innkeeper there..they tape the keys to the door for you. It has 4 or 5 rooms only, and it's in a beautiful farmhouse style building. There's also the Interlaken Inn a few miles away. They have a resteraunt and bar, and they cater to racers as well.
There's a ton of good restaraunts around that area, from pizza to fine dining. The LRP website should have some listed, but the perrenial favorites are: Italian/pizza/casual - Brother's Pizza in Lakeville, The Boathouse in Lakeville (semi-casual). Dress up with excellent food: The Woodlands in Lakeville, Interlaken Inn, White Hart Inn. There's more, but these have been around a while.
There are two paddocks, A and B. A paddock is the main one, with the resteraunt, main bathrroms/showers, and gift shop located there. B paddock has the gas pumps in it, and more room. They have/are moving the grid to B paddock, so I am not sure how that will affect parking.
The track is staffed overnight, and you can camp there if you choose. Lot's of folks do, and it's fun to wander around visiting the various campsites.
The racetrack itself is rich in history, and very much fun to drive! I haven't been there since they redid some areas this winter, such as the bottom of the uphill. I understand the changes in safety are for the better. (although I would have appreciated green catch fencing so it would blend in with the woods!)
Either car will be fun on this track, and I think you will find the racegroups to be a blast. ITA seems to be the growing field of late, so if you like a lot of competition, this would be the one. ITB has shrunk somewhat, but there are some good, fun drivers in it.
And the NER workers are topknotch. Yes I am biased somewhat, but I've also raced in FL, WI, OH, W.VA, etc, so it isn't total bias. They are well staffed and well skilled. :023:
I hope you enjoy youself, and feel free to stop by to say hi to us if we are there that weekend. We are in ITC, cars # 10 and 11.

gran racing
05-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Minus the pricing issue, its a great track to race on!
If you want some in-car video of the track, let me know...

dpc
05-05-2006, 10:35 AM
It is imperative that you drink beer. Have a great and safe trip.

dave

Rabbit07
05-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Wow, thanks for the info...

How much is the entry fee normally?

Beer is a requirement with most racers, right?

Some in car video would be helpful, how can I get my hands on it?

I do plan on camping, does the track have electric hook-ups?

Besides setting the car up to turn right, are there any other set up tips?

Thanks

Chris Childs

lateapex911
05-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Wow, thanks for the info...

How much is the entry fee normally?[/b]
it will run you a few extra gallons of gas....

I do plan on camping, does the track have electric hook-ups?[/b]
Not in the traditional sense. Lime Rock has a dictionary, I looked up "electrical hookups" and the definition was "gas powered generator, quiet one please".
Or get there early, and bring a long extention cord, or trade beer with someone who got there first, LOL.

Besides setting the car up to turn right, are there any other set up tips?

Thanks

Chris Childs
[/b]

Lime Rock definitions #2: "Car setup" was defined as "bumpy" ;)

RSTPerformance
05-05-2006, 11:41 PM
:023: :figo: :eclipsee_steering: :smilie_pokal: :035: ITB ITB ITB :OLA:

Bumpy setup is key.... turning left realy doesn't matter IMO, but others feel differently.

Raymond

lateapex911
05-06-2006, 02:52 PM
Don't listen to Raymond, bring the A car! Bigger field, more technical.

Rabbit07
05-06-2006, 04:01 PM
My Mustang is one of the few competitive ones around, but from what I have heard of those Audis I don't know if I could keep up?

RSTPerformance
05-07-2006, 02:17 AM
My Mustang is one of the few competitive ones around, but from what I have heard of those Audis I don't know if I could keep up?
[/b]

I think we are one of about 7 or 8 different cars (and each car seems to be a different make/model) that could win at Lime Rock... Its a great track and lots of fun, I think ITC has traditionaly had the closest races, then ITB, then its a toss between ITA and ITS. Generally ITB and ITC never have anyone who "runs away." If you have a top 5 car in ITB, you will have a tough time proving it... come have fun with us!!! I think we generaly have 15-20 ITB cars at Lime Rock (correct me if I am wrong)!!!

Raymond

gran racing
05-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Like Ray said, on any given weekend there are several ITB cars (different makes too) that could win it.

I guess which car you bring depends on which you like driving more. If you enjoy the Mustang and don't have large, competitive fields where you are bring that one. As a former ITA guy (same car), I will tell you the huge ITA fields are a blast too. Either way you won't go wrong.

Instead of me forwarding you some race video, it would probably be more helpful if I take video at the next HPDE I instruct at mid / late June. Although the race video would be more fun to watch, the HPDE will better show you the proper lines. So I don't forget, shoot me a PM ~ June 20th. I'm changing my e-mail address very soon, otherwise I'd give you that.

Magical Trevor
05-10-2006, 04:05 PM
There are several LRP videos over at www.specmiatavideos.com and others scattered around like at www.bimmerworldracing.com 's gallery and www.davidfarmerracing.com/video.html - they should give you an idea of the layout, blind spots, etc. :)

Rabbit07
07-06-2006, 09:34 PM
I just registered for the race today. Wow, the NEdiv really has the whole registration on line thing figured out! I wish CenDiv would get on the ball. Can't wait.

Thanks again for all th help.

Nomex95
07-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Last weekend at LRP we had 14 ITB cars and everyone behaved. Some of the guys were newb's and you need to be careful around them, but hey we all have been there at one time or another and I'm glad to always see new guys in the sport. LRP is a tough little track so you might want to be in a slower car the first time out

Andy Bettencourt
07-07-2006, 01:17 AM
28 ITA cars at NHIS this weekend!!!!

A baby!

Rabbit07
07-07-2006, 07:39 AM
I have decided to bring the ITA Neon.

Rabbit07
07-11-2006, 12:34 PM
One more question:

If your Rig can't make it across bridge then you have to come in using the track right? If this is the case does the track get openned up at lunch and worker breaks for people to leave that way on Saturday? I managed to get a 48' fifth wheel over the bridge the last time I was there, but then was told that is a no-no!

Thanks

wdether
07-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Chris,
Glad you can make the trip in August. I am the chief of tech for the race. If you have any pre-race tech questions feel free to send me an email or post here. I would suggest downloading the supps from the NESCCA site.

Impound/Tech is located next to the restrooms in A Paddock. The supps do no list tech inspection on Thursday night, but I should be having it during the same time registration is open (i.e. 6 - 9 PM, assuming I can get out of work on time). Thursday night tech would be in the impound area (I am not sure how many tech workers wil be there Thursday so tech would have to be at impound).

One more question:

If your Rig can't make it across bridge then you have to come in using the track right? If this is the case does the track get openned up at lunch and worker breaks for people to leave that way on Saturday? I managed to get a 48' fifth wheel over the bridge the last time I was there, but then was told that is a no-no!
Thanks
[/b]

Exiting the track with an oversized rig is quicker and much easier this season. The track cut a paved road from the exit road (above B Paddock) to the inside of West Bend which allows vehicles to cross the track via the gate at registration. I imagine they would let rigs out during the lunch break.

Bill Etherington
NNJR

Andy Bettencourt
08-20-2006, 09:45 PM
Chris,

Sorry I didn't get a chance to find you and introduce myself. Hope you had a great time - thanks for bringing the nice weather from Michigan!!!

AB

Rabbit07
08-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Andy,

I had a blast! I just wish I had more time there. I dropped 3 seconds every time I hit the track. Do the math and I would have been under a minute in 2 more sessions :D

So many cars on track it was hard to work on the track when I spent so much time pointing cars by. I hope to come back and try again.

It is nice to see a different slice of SCCA and IT. Here in my area, CRX's dominate ITA. I guess different cars work well at different tracks.

You are welcome for the Michigan weather.

Doc Bro
08-24-2006, 08:44 AM
Andy,

I had a blast! I just wish I had more time there. I dropped 3 seconds every time I hit the track. Do the math and I would have been under a minute in 2 more sessions :D

So many cars on track it was hard to work on the track when I spent so much time pointing cars by. I hope to come back and try again.

It is nice to see a different slice of SCCA and IT. Here in my area, CRX's dominate ITA. I guess different cars work well at different tracks.

You are welcome for the Michigan weather.
[/b]

Chris,

Next time you come to the NE bring one of those Mosquito Deleto's with you...we've got a blue and orange one buzzing around. Me thinks it's here for a while....

R

Andy Bettencourt
08-24-2006, 08:58 AM
Chris,

Next time you come to the NE bring one of those Mosquito Deleto's with you...we've got a blue and orange one buzzing around. Me thinks it's here for a while....

R [/b]

You might have to have the state spray from above...she is here to stay!!!

lateapex911
08-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Man, between this thread and the other, I'm not reading much Miata love out there! Gregs comparing them to rabbits!

(Assuming he's talking the furry kind...comparing them to the VW kind would be just way too cruel!)

Rabbit07
08-24-2006, 11:13 AM
If it wasn't so easy for me to race a Neon right now I would build a Miata in a heart beat. As soon as I saw the 1.8 in ITA I said that is going to be the car to have. I have seen a 325 BMW run well at Sebring, but it is hard to beat a Miata; Well balanced, brakes for days, pleanty of power in the 1.8. Seems a simple equation. I know some Honda guys that are affriad of the Neon, but I would be affriad of the Miata if I were them.