PDA

View Full Version : Plug Gap recomendations for use with an MSD 6

iambhooper
05-03-2006, 06:35 AM
Just a few questions as I try to sort out my car and continue to learn honda stuff.

I recently added a MSD 6al to the '87 DX ITC ride, in preperation for the upcoming Double weekend at VIR. The builder worked over the stock carb and tapped it for a holley jet (I do not know which size is in it). Currently, I have the stock set of NGK plugs, gapped at .044 (stock gap), with a set of NGK 8 wires.

Anyway, back to the question... What's a good plug gap to run with this setup? Should I go to a colder plug, or is the stock heat range fine? I'm currently getting a miss around 4500 rpm's (this is in the garage under no load with the car warmed up). I'm not terribly confident int he NGK wires(even though they are new), and will probably switch to a new set of Moroso's.

Thanks!
Hoop

joeg
05-03-2006, 08:10 AM
Garage testing is not going to help you much.

Fot plugs, one heat range colder than stock is about right; the stock gap is fine, also.

New wires are a good idea.

Cheers.

Tkczecheredflag
05-04-2006, 10:13 PM
BUR7EB11, stock gap, decent wires (8mm).

iambhooper
05-05-2006, 07:11 AM
So the BUR7EB-11's are a better choice than the BPR6ES-11's? I had been running the 6's last fall and the first race this spring (b4 installation of the MSD). However, I notice in March that the electrode was getting eaten away. Therefore I switched back to the stock plug, for the moment. I will pick up a set of the 7's and give those a try.

I have intentions of taking the car ot the dyno monday. The car has never been, and I can only see benifits coming from this.

The upcoming race weekend should be a good challenge for the CRX. I'm up against a 510, a Fiesta (i know this guy is on the board) and a 210 in the SARRC. Then you can throw in the MARRS guys, 3 more Civics another 510 and a Corolla. It should be for an exciting weekend!

hoop