PDA

View Full Version : Rear axle bearings

rmicroys
05-02-2006, 08:38 AM
Anybody else here run the rear axle bearings? Aluminum carrier, with the SKF GEH 17C bearings in them? I got a set from Bildon, and they are already loose after one season. I'm talking really loose.. you can shake the car on the bearings loose. How often are people replacing these?

racer14itc
05-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Rob,

I haven't used the specific rear wheel bearing setup that you noted, but I have used OEM rear wheel bearings without any trouble on my GP Scirocco (1.3+ G's).

The trick to making them live on my car:

1. Use a good quality OEM bearing - not el cheapos from Auto Zone.
2. Use a good quality grease - I've used Swepco 101 or Valvoline synthetic (grey) wheel bearing grease with success.
3. Most important: do not OVER-tighten! I tighten mine with a socket BY HAND (no rachet). We're talking inch-lbs of torque. Just enough to take up the play in the bearing and no more. You should be able to move the outer bearing thrust washer side to side with a screwdriver without much effort. Too much torque and you'll wear out the wheel bearings very quickly.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

MC

pfcs49
05-02-2006, 03:20 PM
geh17c are spherical brgs.
I am unfamiliar with bildon's setup, but never had any problem w/Shine's steel one to mount the axle beam.

racer14itc
05-02-2006, 03:43 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood which bearings he was referring too. I'm still using poly/delrin to mount the rear axle to the body, so I didn't think about that bearing.

MC

JamesB
05-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Have you contacted bildon to see what adivice they have?

Eric Parham
05-03-2006, 12:45 AM
I've been using the same set of rear axle bearings from Shine (SRS) for about 7 years now, including two complete replacements of bent axle beams. No noticeable play yet. I believe that the SRS bearings are teflon lined and do not require lubrication. I know that some others use bearings that do require periodic lubrication. Obviously, the ones that do require lube will wear out rather quickly if it is omitted. On the other hand, I have had teflon lined bearings in other applications (i.e., upper strut beearings) that developed slop from excessive shock loading spitting out the teflon liners.

Is your play side-to-side (lateral) or front-to-back (longitudinal)? If front-to-back, it probably is some sort of bearing failure. But, if side-to-side, it might be an improper mounting of the bearing in the bracket or housing. The Shine bearings use the stock stamped steel brackets, which can make for a tricky installation. As I recall, new brackets from the dealer were beneficial.

rmicroys
05-03-2006, 04:34 PM
The SKF GEH 17C bearing is a maintenance free spherical bearing. The bearing carriers (aluminum) are pressed in to the OEM bearing location. The bearin is held in to the carrier with circlips, and is snug in the carrier. The play in the bearing is the ball is loose in a left to right motion. The bearing is otherwise fairly tight still. It's as if the side loading is too high and has deformed/worn the bearing.

Bildon
05-04-2006, 03:22 PM
>> Have you contacted bildon to see what adivice they have?

These steel spherical bearings are located by large steel spacers which take all the side loading.
Did the snap rings come out?
Something is very abnormal because we've run these for years with no slop ever showing.

We'll send you another bearing for free since that appears to have failed, not our components.

http://www.bildon.com/catalog/Admin/photos/large/RearBushKit.jpg

Bill Miller
05-05-2006, 06:43 AM
>> Have you contacted bildon to see what adivice they have?

These steel spherical bearings are located by large steel spacers which take all the side loading.
Something is very abnormal because we've run these for years with no slop ever showing.

We'll send you another bearing for free since that appears to have failed, not our components.

http://www.bildon.com/catalog/Admin/photos/large/RearBushKit.jpg
[/b]

:023: For a vendor that stands behind what they sell! Nice move Bill!

rmicroys
05-06-2006, 01:00 PM

[/b]

Didn't loose any circlips. That's all tight, the bearings just rattle like a box of chiclets now. Thanks for the support - though I've already got the bearings ordered here in town.

rmicroys
05-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Now of course, because I need a new set of bearings, I call up the local bearing suppliers in town. SKF isn't currently producing the SKF:GEH 17C bearing, and there is no stock (certainly none in canada, and likely limited in the US) and they can't get any for 12-14wks! Help! Can anybody get me a pair of these? Oh, ya, and of course the Bildon guys are gone away racing for the next 6 days - so I won't be able to hear from them until they're back. Hopefully they have a small stash of these... ggggrrrr... I'm just having a great day today.

JamesB
05-10-2006, 11:38 AM
wonder if you can cross reference them to another vendor?

rmicroys
05-10-2006, 12:46 PM
wonder if you can cross reference them to another vendor?
[/b]

The local bearing supplier in Ottawa can't seem to find one... I searched the web, but there's nothing obvious on how to look for bearing cross references. Not like any of the manufacturers provide a cross reference sheet.

JamesB
05-10-2006, 01:16 PM
http://www.horsepowercontrol.com/catalogs/...9/359_1_11.html (http://www.horsepowercontrol.com/catalogs/consolidated/charts/9/359_1_11.html)

gives a few interchange references.

rmicroys
05-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Thanks!

JamesB
05-11-2006, 08:46 AM
google can be your friend, in this case. its been my enemy in the past.

rmicroys
05-11-2006, 10:15 AM
google can be your friend, in this case. its been my enemy in the past.
[/b]

I bow to your google skillz! I was unable to locate that webpage... Normally, I'm rather good at google... but this one got me evidently.

JamesB
05-11-2006, 12:26 PM
some of my friends refer to me as the parts hound. they tell me what they are looking for and in most cases I can find more then one source. That was the only source of reference I could find.