PDA

View Full Version : 240SX shifter dismantling

turboICE
05-01-2006, 12:13 AM
How do you replace the inner boot on the shifter? Is the upper mass adding piece of the shifter pressed on and off?

Tristan Smith
05-05-2006, 03:59 PM
From what I remember, there is a c-clip that holds the shifter in place. You pull the boot up out of the way, pull the c-clip and the whole shifter will come out. The pull the boot off from the bottom replace, and reverse installation.

turboICE
05-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the response, was getting lonely in here.

Yeah getting the shifter out is no issue, done tons of times - but getting the inner boot off is more problematic.

There is plastic ring as well that stays on the shifter that the circlips seats against. I don't see getting the boot over that and the fulcrum ball.

Of course taking the old one off won't be a problem as it is already slit and rotting. Getting a new one on over the fulcrum and the plastic ring doesn't seem feasible.

The ring itself had to go on before the top part of the shifter.

The top part of the shifter appears to be pressed/glued/fixed on with rubber bushings in it - but I suspect the rubber will break or crumble if I try to seperate them.

Oh if only short shifters were allowed.

Tristan Smith
05-05-2006, 04:12 PM
If it's a new boot, I think it will stretch over the thicker part of the neck/shaft. Use a little water and dish soap to help lubricate it.

turboICE
05-07-2006, 10:55 PM
I can see that being possible with a new material.

Great thanks for the input it is much appreciated.

jamsilvia
05-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Stupid shortshifter rule....

I second the motion - I've replaced mine with the soap-n-water trick too. It still stretches the thing a bit, but it seems to not cause any serious damage.

joe

x-ring
05-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Astroglide? :119:

e36its
05-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Astroglide? :119:[/b]A buddy of mine has KY in his track toolbox. I didn't ask questions... :o

tom