PDA

View Full Version : Scirocco cage

Mark LaBarre
04-30-2006, 10:47 AM
I transfered the old Saftey Devices cage from my wrecked ITC Scirocco to an ITB 86 chassis, but don't like the way I did it.
Anyone have any recomendations for manufacturers of weld in cage kits? Experiences?
Thanks!

Eric Parham
04-30-2006, 01:01 PM
We once moved a weld-in Autopower cage from a Scirocco I to a Scirocco II (remember that, Brian?). IIRC, the only mod was to shorten the forward hoops (over the doors). It was a much better fit than the Autopower cage that was actually designed for the Scirocco II (issues with cage too close to steering wheel). I had a Safety devices cage in another Scirocco I and thought it might transfer very well to a Scirocco II (assuming new sill plates, etc.), so I'm surprised to hear that it didn't work out for you. As far as the kits, I think I'd pass and have something custom done. There's a custom cage in my current Scirocco II that went in to replace an Autopower cage that was deemed non-compliant (rear brace angles measured by tech and found insufficient). There's alot more that you can do with a custom cage given the current version of the IT cage rule.

Mark LaBarre
04-30-2006, 02:32 PM
It was a bolt in cage that I had welded in the old car. THen I cut it apart and put it in the new car, but realizes how stupid that was. On the good side, I had a ball doin all that welding!
Maybe I'll just look into having it done, that way it'll be exactly what I want.