PDA

View Full Version : How to clean out old gas tank?

rally25rs
04-30-2006, 09:18 AM
My project car has been sitting for a few years, and probably has some old nasty gas in it. I am going to drain out whatever is in it (thank god Honda was smart enough to have a drain plug) but I'd like to clean out whatever gunk has settled inside too.

Anyone done this before and have any tips?

I figure water probably isnt the best choice, since water in fuel system = bad... Unless I let it sit for days to make sure its dry, or fill it up with gas + a fuel dryer like Sta-Bil or whatever its called...

charrbq
04-30-2006, 03:10 PM
You're right about one thing, for sure...never put water in a fuel tank...ever, unless you are going to weld on it immediately. I've heard of different methods for cleaning and drying, but never using Sta-bil. No experience there. Best method I've heard is to rinse it several times with pump gas, (dispose of safely and environmentally correct), then rinse thoroughly with methanol. Leave it in a well vented place, open as much as possible, and check/shake it periodically.
If it's never had anything in it other than gas, it should be okay. After installing it, make certain you have a fuel filter before the pump, and be prepared to change it frequently at first.

Chris Wire
04-30-2006, 11:07 PM
I recently had the same problem you had, but went with a different solution. I went the professional route, calling around to various radiator shops until I found one in Orlando that reconditioned fuel tanks.

I provided them mine empty as required, and they hot-tanked it, cleaned it and applied a corrosion inhibitor all over the interior of the tank. The tank exterior was undercoated where necessary, and then painted a nice flat black all over. The result is a solid OEM tank with no rust that looks great. The price........$140.

Maybe a bargain, maybe not. Depends on your perspective. I was pleased enough with the final product that I considered it worth the money.

rally25rs
05-01-2006, 12:38 PM
I was trying to avoid taking it out of the car, but thats a good plan.

People on other forums pretty much just said run a tank of fresh gas, then replace fuel filter... which seems to be the cheap and dirty solution :)