PDA

View Full Version : z31 coil over set up

dannytz28
04-28-2006, 02:56 PM
I am looking for a coil over set up for my z31 and I have seen a couple of people that have made their own kit. Some of them don't look to me to be race legal. If any one has any pictures of their setup or know where can I a get a coilover setup I would appreciate if you could let me know.

MMiskoe
04-30-2006, 08:32 PM
I have no camera, but I can offer the following:

Go to www.z31.com and search around under Modifications and in the forums. Many people have done it.

They are pretty simple - source out a threaded collar and spring perch (this I can't help w/, I bought the cars w/ this part done). Take a grinder or plasma cutter to the OEM spring perch and get rid of it entirely, but don't chew up the strut housing. Get your hands on a pc of 2" sch40 pipe (pretty sure its 2", I'm going off memory here). Cut a short slice (about 1/4" - 1/2 long) and weld that on the strut tube at what ever height you need to work w/ the springs you bought. The pipe happens to be the right size. I've seen pictures of other materials used, but this is just to simple for me to pass up when I've replaced mine. You will also need an upper spring perch to ride on top. Depends on what you have for camber plates here.

Those strut assemblies will bend if you take a moderate hit in the front wheel. It bends the strut housing where it presses into the spindle assembly. This is why I am familiar w/ doing the conversion.

Matt