PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah Track

ajmr2
04-25-2006, 09:18 AM
Greetings.

Yesterday was a beautiful day and Summit Point was calling me (actually a friend called me Sunday night to come up and give him encouragement at the track.) I hung around and watched Porsches, BMWs and even a pair of Ferraris and a couple Morgans among others thrashing around the track. I couldn't stand it so I signed up for the drive around at luchtime in my Celica GTS. Never had it on a track before. A very strange track, especially the Nascar banking. If you haven't been on the track, everything you've heard is true. We'd never get to race on it. Very tight, no runoff too many cars in our groups. But it was entertaining.
See you all this weekend!
AJ

JamesB
04-25-2006, 09:53 AM
the bowl is an interesting transition. I dont mind playing on the course, but I dont know if I would want to race on it. From the SM guys they said it was fun and runnoff didnt seem to bother them. But its just too small for the run groups WDC has on a weekend.

mgyip
04-25-2006, 10:41 AM
I had the "pleasure" of instructing the SVTOA group on Shenandoah last spring. At that time the track was extremely bumpy in all the wrong places. Exiting "Pistol Grip", the bump actually tossed the car albeit into the proper section of the track. Crossing under the bridge and heading towards the Bowl, the car would pitch alternately left or right depending on the side of the road.

That having been said, rumor is that the track has been graded and the surface smoothed down. EMRA and NASA have raced on Shenandoah with some success. SCCA is having the Shenandoah inspected for safety but I haven't heard any results.

I don't know that I'd want to race on the Shenandoah - the track is extremely busy and the runoff is a bit abrupt. Given our run group sizes in the MARRS series, the only way to run Shenandoah is to split the races over 2 weekends which poses other logistical problems.

ggnagy
04-25-2006, 11:02 AM
I don't know that I'd want to race on the Shenandoah - the track is extremely busy and the runoff is a bit abrupt. Given our run group sizes in the MARRS series, the only way to run Shenandoah is to split the races over 2 weekends which poses other logistical problems.
[/b]

Was it my imagination, or was there a blurb in the last straightpipe about split weekends in 2007? I know this idea had been floating around for a while, but it appears to be making progress. If it happened, eventual Shenandoah track use would not be far behind. IIRC PDX events were also mentioned elsewhere in the issue.

Have fun this weekend. I'm not entered and going nuts regretting it.

JamesB
04-25-2006, 11:03 AM
A little birdie wispered to me that they are going through the motions so the track was availible for PDE and solo1 events. Which that I could see going over well on shanandoa.

ShelbyRacer
04-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Tweet tweet there James...

Actually, I can tell you that there are one or two configurations of Shenandoah that are approvable (I already did a site inspection). At this point, I don't think that the "bowl" will get used, or at least I'm recommending against it.

I would like to know who your little bird is though... :)

JamesB
04-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Noone flat out said it. But I overheard a few talking at the drivers school last month talking about the track inspection. Then a conversation with Beth about our solo 1 program and she mentioned PDX events comming as soon as all the i's and t's are taken care of (I am listed as one of the SCCA recruiter contacts and the question came up.) The announcment of the PDX events comming soon in the latest straitepipe and how booked up SP main is it was really just a logical conclusion.

As for the bowl. last I heard the transision was fixed, and I think its an interesting aspect of the course. I dont think it will let you easilly sling up to the top without some seriously major mistake or some help.

I am a more active member then some people think. I do pay attention to whats going on, I even remember months ago when the split weekends where proposed and posted on offtotherace.net and those that got my comments on it can remember that day im sure.

mgyip
04-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Was it my imagination, or was there a blurb in the last straightpipe about split weekends in 2007? [/b]

There is a proposal on the table regarding ways to split MARRS races so as to accomodate the largest number of participants without creating extra-long days for the workers or shorting racers of track time.

The current proposal which IS NEITHER FINAL NOR APPROVED BUT UNDER DISCUSSION reads (in a nutshell):

Groups will be split into 5 per race weekend. Races will be held on Saturday AND Sunday. Groups will alternate weekends - in other words, groups 1-5 race in April and groups 6-10 race in June. There are some logicistical issues here since some groups historically have large turn outs (Pinatas) and others have no turnout (GTL, Wings). The other issue is to combine Wreck Pinata and Showroom Wreck Pinata on the same weekend or allow them to run on different weekends which means that a driver could theoretically build two Pinatas and race them both (of money and talent allow).

BTW, I already thought you were nuts :119:

ShelbyRacer
04-25-2006, 11:58 AM
As for the bowl. last I heard the transision was fixed, and I think its an interesting aspect of the course. I dont think it will let you easilly sling up to the top without some seriously major mistake or some help.
[/b]

Well, my issue with the bowl section is not the bowl itself, in fact, I personally kinda like it... :eclipsee_steering:

The issue I have is the exit of the section where the track goes right-left-right. With the blind crest there, it would be VERY easy for a novice to misjudge and wind up making a real, um, impression on the side of the bridge... With the possibility of things being grouped tightly leading into that area, it holds the potential for some real ugly or at least real pants-filling incidents.

Keep in mind, I'm not the only person who has a say in this, and when the time comes that an event is proposed, I'm hoping to be working with DC or whoever to insure and safe and successful event...

JamesB
04-25-2006, 12:02 PM
With that in mind, I think you could be right. But I think its more of what can a driver do to unsettle the car ending up as you said. If the potential for mistakes are too high then I have to agree with you. I have only done a few laps around the circuit with someone else, and im not sure of how high that potential would be as your concentration fades from fatigue or red mist.

as for working, i would gladly come out and lend a hand in a tub, at the tower or pit road, but I need more seat time before I could tell others how to do it right.

aeronca65t
04-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Just for the record, EMRA ran a successful event at Shenadoah last weekend (despite the rain).

We ran our Time Trial (Saturday) using the "Karoussel" (there's no passing in turns in our TTs anyway).

For our Sprint races on Sunday, we skipped the Karoussel, turning left just after the Bus Stop. The small-bore race that I was in was excellent and the big-bore and open-wheel folks seemed to like the track too. The quasi-Laguna "corkscrew" is especially great fun. The shoulder grading is better than last year and they have installed a functioning timing loop this year. Nice rest rooms, showers and "club building" too. Most flaggers stations have "gazebos" with roofs.
The runoff isn't great but it's generally OK. Not as good as BeaveRun but better (in the tighter spots) than Lime Rock (I realize LR has been improved...I haven't been there this year yet).
Shenandoah wouldn't be great for a really large field, but for 20 to 25 cars or so (especially small-bore like my Spridget) it's a neat, twisty track.

ggnagy
04-26-2006, 01:06 PM
There is a proposal on the table regarding ways to split MARRS races so as to accomodate the largest number of participants without creating extra-long days for the workers or shorting racers of track time.

The current proposal which IS NEITHER FINAL NOR APPROVED BUT UNDER DISCUSSION reads (in a nutshell):

Groups will be split into 5 per race weekend. Races will be held on Saturday AND Sunday. Groups will alternate weekends - in other words, groups 1-5 race in April and groups 6-10 race in June. There are some logicistical issues here since some groups historically have large turn outs (Pinatas) and others have no turnout (GTL, Wings). The other issue is to combine Wreck Pinata and Showroom Wreck Pinata on the same weekend or allow them to run on different weekends which means that a driver could theoretically build two Pinatas and race them both (of money and talent allow).
[/b]

Surely trying to plan those in such a way to satisfy everyone is mentioned by Dante as a location in Hell. Also, I don't know about this year, but alot of the S&M drivers were entering both classes the first year. .....

Wait... You mean thats an "S" and not an ampersand in the class designation?

BTW, I already thought you were nuts :119:
[/b]

One of the nicest things anyone ever said about me on the forums. :happy204:

turboICE
04-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Having particpated in 2 NASA races there last year and 2 NASA races there this year, I don't see any real issues remaining for this track that aren't also faced at LRP or the Glen. Both weekends included novices straight from that weekend's comp school in the Sunday race and there weren't any issues with that.

I think this is a great track for IT level racing, some big bores have problems because there are complex turn combinations. ;)

WDCR would have to be split weekend or very limited sign up. Paddock space is going to be much more significant an issue than main.

BTW I fully support taking 4 single weekends and makin them 2 by 2 split double weekends.

rallyvolvo
04-26-2006, 07:02 PM
A very strange track, especially the Nascar banking.
[/b]

Um, actually, it's a replica of one of the most famous turns in European road racing history. It is on the original Nurbergring, not the cut down version of the track that they race today's F1 cars on. Was great fun tossing one of the BSR Chevy Caprices into though. :)

-Nick

ShelbyRacer
04-27-2006, 07:35 AM
Um, actually, it's a replica of one of the most famous turns in European road racing history. It is on the original Nurbergring, not the cut down version of the track that they race today's F1 cars on. Was great fun tossing one of the BSR Chevy Caprices into though. :)

-Nick
[/b]

Yeah, but you also think that carreening through the woods in a Volvo is fun...

Oh wait, that would be!

JamesB
04-27-2006, 12:19 PM
One may swear volvos are made from recycled sherman tanks.

spnkzss
05-07-2006, 06:09 PM
I tell you what. I don't understand what the big deal is about the Shenandoah. I raced it last year with NASA, and I have to say it is by far my most favorite track to race on. It is a busy track, but that's fun. There are places to pass. Every place that everyone is complaining about no runoff, without any help, you WON'T end up there. Gravity pulls you in the opposite direction. The bowl is a RUSH. The first time I went in, didn't know what to expect, and acutally got a little light headed. The rest of the time it was a piece of cake. It slows everyone down and forces them to race smart. I really wish SCCA would run it. Now my teammate destroyed his car on the track, but that was a fluke. His wheel actually broke off the car in the bowl. He hit the wall where they did not have any tires. There are tires there now. There may be a few things that need to be smoothed out, turn 4s curbing on entrance will rip the steering wheel out of your hand, but I tell you what, that track is a BLAST.

Take it for what it's worth.

It's funny, after writing this post, my avatar is from the Shenandoah.

JamesB
05-08-2006, 11:37 AM
I think the tracks improving, but the biggest issue I see why MARRS wouldnt run there is that track is not long enough to stuff nearly 50 cars on it. The paddock is no way able to handle 300 drivers and cars even if we forced people to group together. I think it would make a great time trial track though.

spnkzss
05-08-2006, 05:20 PM
The track is 1.7 miles, so you would have 45 cars or so instead of 50. There are something like 278 paddock spaces WITH power. It would be tight. Unfortunatly that's not the main excuses I keep hearing about. All of them hav eto do with the track and my point is most of those people who are complaining about the track have never driven it. Like I said before, it's a blast.

JamesB
05-08-2006, 06:23 PM
Good point, I didnt relize the paddock had that many spaces, it feels smaller then the main by a landslide, but that could have been due to the event I was up there at and the oddball way everyone at the DE events paddock.

turboICE
05-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Yeah with current conditions I don't think there is a legitmate track complaint given other tracks in use currently by the SCCA. A couple curbs I would like to see improved but over all good course I think. 45 can run on it, even with the normal contingent of novices.

The # on the paddock are misleading though I do think. At least 30 or so are barely usable either because they are on a 30* slope or aren't full size.

Would WDCR ever do a non-MARSS race? I think a non-MARRS or split event would be workable with the WDCR.

At least try it.

JoelG
05-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Good point, I didnt relize the paddock had that many spaces, it feels smaller then the main by a landslide, but that could have been due to the event I was up there at and the oddball way everyone at the DE events paddock.
[/b]

another thing to keep in mind is that a bunch of the paddock spaces are on the skid pad, which is normally in use at DEs but not at races.

Still, 278 spaces is kinda hard to believe. I will have to count them memorial day weekend :lol:

turboICE
05-09-2006, 09:28 AM
Still, 278 spaces is kinda hard to believe. I will have to count them memorial day weekend :lol:[/b]They did like a check book and started numbering at 101! ;)

The more I think about the harder it is for me to believe. It certainly didn't feel like 278 spaces were available at NASA.