PDA

View Full Version : MR2 trunk mounted fuel cell

orlando_wrx
04-24-2006, 10:02 AM
A trunk mounted fuel cell is allowed in the vehicle notes. The MR2 has two trunks, one up front, one in the rear, was just wondering if the fuel cell could be placed in the front trunk... it IS considered a trunk by the shop manual, so I'm guessing it could be interpreted as a legal location.

lateapex911
04-24-2006, 12:57 PM
hmmmmm....

is the stock tank in a "trunk" area?

The rule about fuel cells is 12" from edge to edge, old tank to new cell.

I'm not thinking that the intention was to move the location 5 feet.

gran racing
04-24-2006, 01:03 PM
That car is so well balanced, why move it anyways?

orlando_wrx
04-24-2006, 02:11 PM
The stock tank is in the center tunnel, great place for it. Front trunk would be closer to stock location than rear trunk. I'm not seriously thinking of moving it, was just thinking a cell up there would make a great smooth underside up front. (nothing says you must actually use a cell that you have put in, lol, just kidding)

lateapex911
04-24-2006, 04:49 PM
Philosophicaly it poses an interesting question.

Realistically, swapping the weight fro a dubious aero advantage is unlikely to be worth the effort.

But I like you're thinking, !

Jake
04-24-2006, 08:45 PM
A front cell is allowed on the car. It's a footnote in the rulz. However, there's really no advantage. The stock tank is light and couldn't be in a safer position. As for weight dist - it's a bit pointless especially unless you are planning on finishing the race with a full tank! :wacko:

Bill Miller
04-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Yep, definately one of the best places for a stock tank. Probably safer than a cell mounted in either trunk too!

orlando_wrx
04-25-2006, 07:32 AM
Hey, RacerJake!!! It's an honor to hear from you!! I really enjoy your website, I signed your guestbook awhile back, was wondering if you were still at it...any chance of new vids comming up this year?

Jake
05-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, I'm still at it. I get a lot of requests for new vids - but I have been busy. Not only am I still racing, I have another MR2 in the fleet. I'm hoping to get it a page on my site soon.