PDA

View Full Version : i hate going to the track and getting new ideas!

tom91ita
04-24-2006, 12:57 AM
the worst part is that i already have an inverter and it is something that i am capable of doing.

i asked a quick question and he had one of those inverters the same basic size as my Peak 350 watt that i clip to the battery.

he uses the 12V into the trailer and then had this mounted by the front shelving/cabinet area of the trailer.

since i basically just use mine for charging video camera, etc. the power load should be fine. it would be a good dedicated place to put it instead of rummaging through a box and i would not feel as uncomfortable about the video camera laying under the hood of the truck.

just more work!

Bildon
04-25-2006, 07:47 PM
I was just thinking of doing this. But I'm not sure about the optimal setup.
Can anybody (any campers out there?) offer any advice on the following ideas...

- Inverter mounted in trailer to run TV, charge cameras, play CDs etc.
- Deep cell battery installed in trailer, wired into circuit to run DC lights when truck is disconnected
- Alternator from truck charging deep cell while driving ???

- Bill

turboICE
04-25-2006, 08:41 PM
http://gallery.wastedtalentmotorsportclub.org/albums/TowVehicle/100_2103.sized.jpg

http://gallery.wastedtalentmotorsportclub.org/albums/TowVehicle/100_2104.sized.jpg

http://gallery.wastedtalentmotorsportclub.org/albums/TowVehicle/100_2105.sized.jpg

1. I couldn't afford to get the trailer with all the power stuff.

2. A generator couldn't actually be run in the generator box anyway not enough air flow for the heat.

3. I think I am set up for a better result in the end having DIY anyway.

I got a 50amp 115/230v RV box with a built in 12v converter/charger.

I don't use the 230v capability at this time because 50amp shore line is bloody fortune and haven't needed it. I am only using half the board with a 115v 30amp shore line.

The 12v+ source from the trailer harness runs through the DC side of the panel and the alternator does charge the deep cells. I have 4 12v accessory sockets for charging phones, cameras etc.

I haven't done it yet, but I have thought about using a generator/shore power switch to have the inverter power the 110v panel when shore power is not connected. I have considered and figured out how to prevent the charger from charging when the power is in fact coming from the batteries rather than the shore line. I have tested the an 1100 watt converter which will run the flatscreen tv and the refrigerator though I am not sure how long on the two batteries but they are large capacity, they will run the interior lights for weeks.

tom91ita
04-25-2006, 10:34 PM
now i hate going on the internet and getting even better diy ideas!

that looks like the way to do it. any part numbers or source for the inverter power panel you have?

tia, tom

turboICE
04-26-2006, 09:24 AM
Best deep cell battery and value I could find:

http://battservice.com/store/index.html?lo...talog124_0.html (http://battservice.com/store/index.html?loadfile=catalog124_0.html)

I haven't installed an inverter permanently in there yet. The panel is an AC panel that has a converter for 12v circuits, the converter has a built in charger to charge the batteries when on shore power. The 12v+ trailer harness wire goes through the DC board allowing the altenator to charge the batteries as well (I have VOM checked the charging while the tow vehicle is running).

An isolator should probably be employed, but I haven't yet so if the tow vehicle is connected to the trailer while on shore power - the converter/charger also charges the tow vehicle batteries.

This is the power center - it has a converter 110v AC to 12v DC, not an inverter to supply 110v AC from 12v DC. I may add an inverter at a later time through a transfer switch. But I would probably want 4 batteries to be sure it would work an entire weekend with the refrigerator and charging duties.

http://www.rvstuffusa.com/500seriespowerce...owersypply.html (http://www.rvstuffusa.com/500seriespowercenterbyparrallaxpowersypply.html)

JamesB
04-26-2006, 01:20 PM
Actually you should get that isolator on sooner rather then later. This is similar to the shore power panel that boats use and you should never start a motor that charges the 12V system while the inverter is on. Its bad for the diodes in the alternator. So if you don't get an isolator just remember to turn off the inverter and shore power before starting your truck connected to your trailer.

turboICE
04-26-2006, 02:04 PM
As I have said, I do not have an inverter anywhere in this system. Though there are a lot of examples in car entertainment systems with inverters in constant use that are not isolated at all. Not sure that I follow how the inverter would affect the diodes.

The panel isn't substantially different from the one in my old Larson, the difference being mostly that it isn't a marine rated board. But I also don't have dual battery banks or a 1/2/all battery switch like my Larson had. (1 start, 2 utility only, all running/charging)

There are very few situations where I am connected to shore power and the tow vehicle is also connected to the trailer. I have on occassion drained the tow vehicle battery from using my carputer (filtered 12v not inverter powered) over the weekend and connected to the trailer intenionaly so that the converter would recharge the tow vehicle battery. Starting with the converter connected is no different than starting while the battery is connected to a typical garage charger. The converter output is lower than the larger charges used in garages and the 12v fuse amperage from the converter output is well below the rating of the alternator. With three fairly large aH batteries in the system I am not sure what kind of feedback the converter could send to the altenator that would be near what a commercial garage charger/starter would contribute to the typical car with one battery being started.

But of course the only proper advice to give to another person would be to always isolate starting and charging systems from utility batteries and systems.

JamesB
04-26-2006, 03:16 PM
sorry, I mean converter.

JIgou
04-27-2006, 09:56 AM
I was working on a similiar system for a friend of mine a couple of months ago. Big inverter, couple of golf cart batteries, charger....was adding up pretty fast.

Then he wandered through Northern Tool. They had the Honda EU2000i inverter (generator) on sale for $1,000. Yeah, it's quite a bit of money....but you can sit beside it and carry on a conversation with no problems. Ran a whole day on one gallon of gas (in Eco mode). Can pair two together in parallel if you need more power.

Just another way to power the 'stuff'.

Jarrod

Ron Earp
04-30-2006, 04:18 PM
I've got a good size solar panel I'm putting on with a 12V battery hooked to truck to use in the trailer off track. On track we plug into the 110V and use throughout the trailer. Do you guys not have 110V AC at the tracks??