PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a diff built???

jamsilvia
04-17-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm looking for someone close to the Washington, DC area to rebuild a diff for me. I've got a R200 that I need a 4.3 R&P put into (it currently has the 4.08 stock). I'm going to look into York Automotive - but in case that falls though, does anyone else have any good recomendations??? I live in Germantown, MD.

Has anyone tried to rebuild their own?? I don't think I have the right measuring tools to get things done right.

Thanks!!!
Joe Mac

handfulz28
04-18-2006, 08:31 PM
FWIW, these things seem to go together pretty easily. Any decent race shop should be able to do it.
I was in the same boat a couple months ago: 4.63 R&P and new LSD to go into OEM 4.08/open diff. I ended up bringing the pumpkin to Speedsource (Mazda shop) and they knocked it out in a couple hours, not included the new paint. They tore it down in about 15 minutes while I watched and thought we might need to order different pinion spacers and side thrust washers/spacers. Darn thing ended up going back together with everything that was already there with a near-perfect .006 backlash.
You also shouldn't pay more than $200 (plus parts if needed) if you bring the pumpkin in.
Michael

its66
04-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Hijack.!!!!..
Michael, I know you aren't running that 4.6 at daytona next month. Can I assume you'll be at sebring in June(short course--optimized for 4.6)>>>??

JoelG
04-19-2006, 09:14 AM
Joe --

I had Ed replace the clutches in my diff last summer. He charged me $100.

If you want to try DIY call me and I'll come up. I have a micrometer and digital caliper.

e36its
04-19-2006, 11:06 AM
I'll stop by to watch you kids work and drink your beer.

tom
(always willing to lend a hand)

jamsilvia
04-24-2006, 11:22 AM
Yeah, great - just like I'd expect from you two....drink my beer and watch me make a mess of whatever I'm working on!!!

As for DIY, I have a depth gauge, and even made a decent, repeatable way to measure the pinion height. But I really don't have a press big enough to change out the pinion. And I'm not really sure what will all have to be done with the new pinion to make sure it matches up with the ring gear.

I've already swapped the ring gear, and pulled out the old diff innards (minus the pinion). So I *think* I just need to press out the old pinion, press in the new, and measure. The last one I had done was the way handfulz28 mentioned - with the new parts, it was still within spec, so I didn't need any new spacers. But the person that did that one is no longer around....

Do I try DIY or not.....hmmmmmm.....

joe

jamsilvia
06-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Update:

I took the diff to Ed York's shop - York Automotive. He did it for a decent price, and with no bull. I'd recommend him for those in the DC area that can make the trek to Mt. Airy, MD.

joe