PDA

View Full Version : Taking a year off

Wayne
04-16-2006, 04:33 PM
For the first time in 5 years of racing it looks like I may not be able to get the minimum 2 races in this year. Last year I just barely got the the required 2 in, and this year is looking worse. Our business has gone insane last year and this year, and we are playing catch-up with regards to proper staffing levels and related infrastructure. It will be a bunch better by the end of this year or Q1 of 07.

If I don't complete 2 races this year will I have to take the schooling and such over to regain my license??

Thanks
Wayne

lateapex911
04-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Depends...on your local lic steward. If he knows you, and your rep is good and lic is clean, then probably OK.

Wayne
04-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Depends...on your local lic steward. If he knows you, and your rep is good and lic is clean, then probably OK.
[/b]
Hmm, interesting how that works. I don't even know who the current licensing steward is, never had to meet him/her. Rep should be fine as far as I know, license is clean...

Wayne

lateapex911
04-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Talk to any friendly Steward, they'll know. Or look it up for your Div. I'm sure the answer is on someones website! Where are you?

Wayne
04-16-2006, 10:08 PM
I realize I can find the licensing guys name. What I was getting at is they will not know me from adam.

Anyway, I suppose I should find my 06 gcr and see if there is any mention of this type situation.

Wayne

ITANorm
04-17-2006, 03:29 AM
When licensing time rolls around, compile a list of your races and finishing positions for the last few years. Submit those to your Divisional Licensing Administrator, along with your written request (and all the other paperwork) for a regional license renewal. Explain the circumstances as to why you didn't make the required 2 races. Unless there's a problem, most DLA's will grant one request. If you have to do it for a 2nd year, plan on doing a school. If you can submit a letter from a "character witness" - somebody who is well known and who has raced with you - even better.

Norm
(and, yes - I'm a steward)

Wayne
04-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Thanks, Norm

PDoane
04-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Norm-

Would races with another organization (i.e. you did run some races, just not with SCCA) help or hurt such a waiver after a single season w/o SCCA races?

Peter

ITANorm
04-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Would races with another organization (i.e. you did run some races, just not with SCCA) help or hurt such a waiver after a single season w/o SCCA races?
[/b]

I am told that it can help. I am aware of one person (who has only raced in one SCCA race in the last 2 years) who was told by their DLA that if they successfully finished a NASA weekend, they would waive their participation requirements for a regional license. Officially, technically, it has little bearing - but in real life, it can't hurt. ;)

JohnRW
04-17-2006, 05:19 PM
I realize I can find the licensing guys name. What I was getting at is they will not know me from adam.

[/b]

That's probably worth several points in YOUR FAVOR. In many cases, it's problems that create the familiarity.