PDA

View Full Version : part cleaning

Campbell
04-16-2006, 04:03 PM
I am tearing down a donor motor that has been sitting for a couple years in the corner of the garage - I am going to have the block bored out and re-do the head. Is there a way to clean up the gunky and dark brown stained parts besides sandblasting? any special tricks to getting things cleaned and degreased? thanks

chuck baader
04-16-2006, 06:33 PM
Go to your local transmission shop with your aluminum parts and beg them to put them through their degreaser...works great! Chuck

seckerich
04-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Go to your local dollar store and buy some oven cleaner. Works great to remove the caked on grease and will even lift the tar and goo off rubber parts without damage. Best no scrub cleaneer you will ever use. Follow with a good purple or similar cleaner to remove the residue. Cashier looks at me like I'm crazy when I buy it by the case. :rolleyes:

Roy Dean
04-17-2006, 07:20 AM
Castrol SuperClean.

joeg
04-17-2006, 07:43 AM
Don't ever sand blast.

You can use the various cleaners described above, but if it is that "gunky," pay to have the block cleaned by the shop that will be doing the heavy work (boring. honing). They will either have a hot tank (not likely any more), an oven or high pressure system, but any of the methods get the block clean.

Cheers.