PDA

View Full Version : Anybody try Hankook Z214's ?

04-12-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm debating between Khumo V710's, Hoosier R3S04/R6 (depending on availability) and Hankook Z214's.

Any comments on comparative speed and durability? I run a 2nd gen RX-7 in ITS.

Thanks for your input

Steve

04-17-2006, 09:32 AM
:015:

Three Million in Contingency and nobody uses them???

x-ring
04-17-2006, 12:21 PM
I tried the Z211's last year, they worked OK, but fell off after only a few heat cycles. Doug Reed, their motorsports manager last year, told me their new compounds for '06 would fix that, but I haven't tried them this year.

A quick look at Frisby's list shows they are only a little cheaper than R3S04's. If the 214's are as fast as S04's, and they've fixed the short life problem, maybe they're worth a try. If they're slower than Hoosiers, and they fall off faster, why switch?

Fastfred92
04-17-2006, 12:42 PM
I must admit I am biased BUT the Z214 was as fast as the Hoosier on a SM we tested and faster on a 2900 lb fwd SSB car, they also lasted much longer. The 211 was as fast ( Hoosier ) on the SS car when using the soft compound and would make it thru a entire weekend at Roebling and the Hoosier would not. Not knocking Hoosier but Hankook is worth a try!

jcmotorsports
04-17-2006, 03:27 PM
I run the 214's on my SS car. They are faster than the Hoosiers, Goodyears, etc. (that is on my Honda civic). I ran the shaved 211's on my ITS RX7 at the end of last season and went faster than I ever have. The 214's are faster than the 211's so expect to go even faster this year.
I ran the 214's at Roebling last month. I ran the 214 c 30(hard compund) for the race and the tires lasted the entire race with no drop off. Other cars on other tires had tire failures on their left fronts. There was enough left on the tires to last an entire test day with 2 drivers and a few spins ( don't forget no suspension mod's in SS). I run a new set(C50) for every race due to the competition level at national races, but use the previous race tires for qualifying. I can typically get 3-4 weekends out of a set on the SS car. I would expect that to increase on an IT car with the suspension and therefore the alignment mod's.
Give the Hankooks a try!!!! I think you will be very satisfied!!!!

04-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks,

I'll give them a try next time I get tires (already ordered the R3SO5's)
Steve

midngn
05-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Just to clarify:

The Z214 is as fast as the S04.

The supposed "short life" was never a problem.

The Z214 is NOT slower than the Hoosier and does NOT "fall off" faster.

Most driver who employ proper tire managment get more life from the Z214 than the S04.

Here is a brief history of the Z211
Z211 C30 was the original tire in 2003
Z211 C50 was introduced at the Runoffs in 2004
Z214 C50 and C70 were introduced in the middle of 2005

We are testing a replacement for the C50 Compound as we speak and should be introduced in the beginning of 2007. We may even have a few sets ready for the runoffs, so stay tuned.

If you can spend $15-30 less per tire on the Hankook and get some money back on the contingency program, I personally think it is a win-win.

http://www.hankooktireusa.com/contingency.asp

Jeff Koehler
Motorsports Marketing Manager
Hankook Tire America Corp.
www.hankooktireusa.com

05-05-2006, 05:12 PM
:D
Jeff,

I just had a great idea....maybe you could get me a set of those and I could compare them to the Hoosier R6 which just came out. I may end up buying some anyways, but just think of the great endorsement it would be! "If Newbie goes fast on them, you can too"
:happy204:

Racy-Stacey
05-07-2006, 02:43 AM
Hey Jeff !

Didnt know you hung out here. Sweet!

I plan on ending the season with a win or two in IT. And I'm counting on Hankook to get me there.

I hate to have to leave RS (Radial Sedan) in 3rd place in the point standings. But I know 3rd place is about as high a position I could ever expect in a 100Hp Probe.

* Jeff is a great guy to work with.
* Hankook has an awesome contingency program.
* More IT people should grab at this opportunity. Check it out for yourself.

Here are some pics.
http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/regist...a.php?id=312007 (http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/showmedia.php?id=312007)
http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/312017/...ze/DSCN1569.JPG (http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/312017/fullsize/DSCN1569.JPG)

midngn
05-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Being a racer myself, I am lucky to have a job that enable me to "hang out" in places like this. Thanks for the support!! Stacey, have we actually met? Where is your next event??

#40ITA
06-13-2006, 06:32 AM
Just to clarify:

The Z214 is as fast as the S04.

The supposed "short life" was never a problem.

The Z214 is NOT slower than the Hoosier and does NOT "fall off" faster.

Most driver who employ proper tire managment get more life from the Z214 than the S04.

Here is a brief history of the Z211
Z211 C30 was the original tire in 2003
Z211 C50 was introduced at the Runoffs in 2004
Z214 C50 and C70 were introduced in the middle of 2005

We are testing a replacement for the C50 Compound as we speak and should be introduced in the beginning of 2007. We may even have a few sets ready for the runoffs, so stay tuned.

If you can spend $15-30 less per tire on the Hankook and get some money back on the contingency program, I personally think it is a win-win.

http://www.hankooktireusa.com/contingency.asp

Jeff Koehler
Motorsports Marketing Manager
Hankook Tire America Corp.
www.hankooktireusa.com
[/b]

Jeff is absolutely correct. I raced at Summit this past weekend on the Z214's for the first time at MARRS IV and they are awesome tires. I qualified on pole, set fastest lap in the race and won ! I used Hoosiers for a number of years on the same ex-Grand Am Cup Integra but switched last year because of Hankook's awesome contingency program and their tires. I was tired of replacing Hoosiers every weekend.

Both the Hankook Z211's and the Z214's simply last longer. The set I raced on at Summit this past weekend were used at VIR a few weeks prior for qualifying and also had some prior test sessions on them. They must have had at least 10-12 heat Cylces by the time I raced on them this weekend and I set the fastest lap of the weekend in the race with only a few laps before the end.

Lastly, the guys at Hankook, Keven McDonald and Jeff Koehler understand grass roots club racing and are there to help club racers with great support. I raced on Hankook's for two years and plan to do so for a long time.

Regards,

Jon Kofod
Marrs ITA #40

erlrich
06-13-2006, 07:29 AM
Jeff is absolutely correct. I raced at Summit this past weekend on the Z214's for the first time at MARRS IV and they are awesome tires. [/b]Jon -

Do you have a local supplier for your tires? I've paddocked next to Barry Brown (SSC Civic) at both MARRS I & IV, and he also swears by the Hankooks. I think he gets his from Vilven; I was just wondering if there was anyplace local where I could buy them and have them mounted.

Btw, congrats on the win!

bldn10
06-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Jeff, can you please decipher the contingency award criteria? What is a "category" and why are there 2 award levels, 1 being 1/2 the other? If you run 2 Regional races in a weekend, what is the maximum award you can get assuming 4 starters? Thanks. Looks interesting. Hoosier trackside support is hard to pass up, though.

Is Appalachian a distributor? Nothing on their site about Hankooks.

Are 225-45-15s readily available? Do they require shaving?