PDA

View Full Version : Slim down

Marchor
04-11-2006, 05:37 PM
At the last race my 1986 300ZX ITS weighed in at a svelte 2972 lbs with me, my gear, and approximately 5 gallons remaining in the gas tank. The minimum is 2865... so how do I get there?

I can probably loose another 10 lbs myself (that would be the least I've weighed since junior year of high school and at age 63 I doubt much more will come off), but I have removed just about everything I can think of from the car to get the weight down. The only things left I can think of would be the headlight motors and the power window motors. The wheels are stock, and the Kumho tires are unbelievably heavy, but I can't find any tires that are any lighter.

Any ideas how to get that last 100 lbs off? Ideally I would love to get below minimum and ballast up the right side to get the car balanced better -- I am almost 175 lbs heavier on the left side of the car.

Thanks,

Bob Marcho

Joe Harlan
04-11-2006, 08:07 PM
At the last race my 1986 300ZX ITS weighed in at a svelte 2972 lbs with me, my gear, and approximately 5 gallons remaining in the gas tank. The minimum is 2865... so how do I get there?

I can probably loose another 10 lbs myself (that would be the least I've weighed since junior year of high school and at age 63 I doubt much more will come off), but I have removed just about everything I can think of from the car to get the weight down. The only things left I can think of would be the headlight motors and the power window motors. The wheels are stock, and the Kumho tires are unbelievably heavy, but I can't find any tires that are any lighter.

Any ideas how to get that last 100 lbs off? Ideally I would love to get below minimum and ballast up the right side to get the car balanced better -- I am almost 175 lbs heavier on the left side of the car.

Thanks,

Bob Marcho
[/b]

Door gutting with the proper side bars will probably net 50lbs total out of that car and I would bet that the addition of a fuel cell properly installed will net 45 to 50 lbs if done correctly.

Wheels?

MMiskoe
04-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Better go read the February addendum to the Fast track, you're more than 100# over, more like 245!

You raise a very good question, one I am pondering too. I have two of these things, an '84 hard top & an '87. I weigh 155 as I step out of the car. With the cars at what I consider the minumum of fuel that I would dare run at the end of a race (for fear of starving) the '84 is now 90# over, the '87 is 100# over.

Wheels - the 4 lug OEM wheels are pretty heavy, but the 5 lug's from the '87 are only about 14-15 pounds. I know you can get 12-13 pound wheels, so there would be 12#.

Fuel cell - The OEM stock tank (19 gallons) w/ pump & gauge sender was 1 pound LIGHTER than an 8 gallon cell. The cell included the bladder, metal can, a pump, foam and pick up box. The tank did not include the holder straps or the filler neck, but the cell did not include any support framing or bulkhead. An 8 gallon cell is also not big enough for that car (hence why its not installed in the car) so I see no appreciable weight reduction in installing a cell. 40-50#? This I would like to see.

There is about a 10% weight savings by using the 1.75 x .095 tubing vrs the 1.5x.120, but again that's peanuts. If you'd crammed 100' of tubing into the car, this would equate to about 9 pounds difference.

There is some to be had in ditching the door guts, I'd guess 20-30 pounds.

I don't see that acid dipping is allowed in IT, nor are composite body panels or lexan windows.

Can you consider the dashboard part of the AC system since the ductwork passes through it?

How these cars are expected to get to this new weight is a mystery to me. Seems all the z-cars are in this boat now, some of the older ones got over 200# taken off!

Matt

Marchor
04-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Matt:

So what is the new minimum? I can't find my February Sportscar.

Andy Bettencourt
04-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Matt:

So what is the new minimum? I can't find my February Sportscar. [/b]

http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/06-2...ck-addendum.pdf (http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/06-2-fastrack-addendum.pdf)