PDA

View Full Version : Hoosier R6's?

924Guy
04-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Maybe I missed the discussion already, too busy with work, but has there been any word yet about these??
http://www.hoosiertire.com/pb30106.HTM

Of course, like it matters - still pretty much the ticket to win, nes pas?

They're already listed on Tirerack.com, available soon... :cavallo:

charrbq
04-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Haven't used them yet. Just put on a new set of the last model, so it will be a while...but not all that long. I've always like Hoosiers, but the latest product is super...very fast. If the new one is better, then it must be awesome! Only problem I've heard, and found to be true, they tend to rotate on the power wheel. If it does that on my Honda, something with horsepower will ealy twist them. :unsure:

924Guy
04-12-2006, 07:53 AM
Ah, OK, good, then I don't have to worry about that... ;)

Actually, since your power and braking wheels are the same... are you sure it's happening on-throttle? I've seen tires spin due to braking forces - talking stock street tires here, stock rims. That always comes down to the tire/rim interface - you might consider taking another look at your rim selection, try a different one...

charrbq
04-12-2006, 08:42 AM
Good advice, but I've never had it happen before with Hoosiers...that I've noticed. It just so happened that someone was talking about it at the race party. I don't know what they drove; I was just eves dropping. I rotate my tires (cross) after each day's racing, and that's when I noticed them. The Hoosier guys had mounted them that morning, and had marked the valve position on each tire.
The front tires had rotated about 1/4 inch, but not the rears. Oddly, after the next days racing, there was no more movement on the tires...front (former rears) or rear (former fronts). I lost a bunch of hp from the previous day after getting punted off course by an A car which broke my exhaust, so acceleration wasn't a part, but braking was even more severe.
The only other thing that I might feel would be a factor might be the rim lubricant.
I wouldn't have thought to look if the other guys had not mentioned that the new tires had rotated on them at the Runoffs. It gave me no noticable problems, but it apparently did them.

924Guy
05-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Follow up after driving them last weekend - well, they sure don't suck!! Can't definitively say they're any faster, since I've got a new setup this year (different spring rates), but my times picked right back up where they left off, by the end of the weekend, and there should still be more speed in the chassis - we had it dialed with a modest amount of understeer, for safety, due to the new springs... doesn't seem like we've disturbed the balance any, and we'll add the rear bar back in for the next race weekend...

Definitely plenty of lateral stick - easily clearing 1.15g lateral in my data traces, peaking up over 1.3g... :figo:

BMW RACER
05-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Hey Chris.
I was reading about the tire slipping deal. Is it possible that the tire guys used too much slick snot when mounting your tires? Maybe it dried up by the next day? I use snot when mounting street tires but like to mount my race tires dry!

That doesn't sound right! Well, you know what I mean.

I'm getting ready to buy new tires, does anyone have anymore news to share about the new R6's?

Cheers.

its66
05-23-2006, 09:34 PM
John,
I haven't been on them yet. I did find some good tech stuff on Hoosier's website regarding pressures, and some differences between them and the S05's. You may have already found this info....if not.

https://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm

Motor City Hamilton
06-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Any thoughts on R6 vs. A6? I have heard that some road racers are using the auto cross tire, A6 for shorter, under 30 minute sprint races. What's the difference in compound? A6 softer?

philstireservice
06-19-2006, 09:02 PM
The A6's have a lower operating temp. 140-150 ........good for a few quick qualifying laps, but i'm not sure how they would do for 30 minutes on a hot summer day at the track. Maybe in the cool spring temps or similar fall temps they might make a 30 minute sprint. Most likely they would be toast after either race.....