PDA

View Full Version : Moving on up

ggnagy
04-10-2006, 12:43 PM
I currently have a MARRS SRX7. What would, in general, be the kinds of things to start modifying in order to move up to IT7 ( with hopefully then to G-Prod. ) I have a general idea of what it would take, but I'd like to get a feel for what the best modifications are to make. I believe that, at this point, MARRS SRX7 and IT7 are GCR compatible. 2007 will make the autopower cages illegal without more passenger door bars, yes?

ddewhurst
04-10-2006, 02:14 PM
***What would, in general, be the kinds of things to start modifying in order to move up to IT7 ( with hopefully then to G-Prod. )***

Greg, is it safe to presume that you sent a letter/e-mail to support the classing of the 1st gen to G Production per Scott's classing request.

My conversion from SRX7 to ITA/IT7:

4:88 gear ( at S.P. you might want a 5:12)

Complete exhaust syetem including header

Header heat shield (heat from header away from carb)

Blueprinted carb, Holly red pump/ Holly regulator/cool air intake

Two row cross flow water radiator

Oil temp/oil press/water temp gauges

Dual EGT gauges

Complete suspension

Tube front sway bar/ alum arms/ dbl rod end links

Springs/adjustable spring perchs

Modified struts/inserts/shocks

Center link

lower links with rod ends

Panhard bar mounted to chassis on drivers side (installed brackets so the rear sway bar could be used both ways)

EDIT:

Get rid of all that stuff & get that car down to 2280 with driver for ITA/7

Add welded S.B. (Scott bearings :P ) at all locations

Early 1st gen oil cooling radiator modified for oil cooling.

I went through the weights of a 12 gal alum fuel cell vrs the OEM fuel tank & weight wise it makes zero sense to do a fuel cell.

mustanghammer
04-10-2006, 03:57 PM
I currently have a MARRS SRX7. What would, in general, be the kinds of things to start modifying in order to move up to IT7 ( with hopefully then to G-Prod. ) I have a general idea of what it would take, but I'd like to get a feel for what the best modifications are to make. I believe that, at this point, MARRS SRX7 and IT7 are GCR compatible. 2007 will make the autopower cages illegal without more passenger door bars, yes?
[/b]

Very cool!

Please send a letter of support for the GP Proposal.

You should be able to add door bars to the auto-power cage to make it meet the 2007 regulations. That would save you time and money. Also the rules have changed such that you would not have to use the same heavy material for your cage addtions. That means that the extra door bars can be made of the minimum spec 1.5" x.095" tubing.

We have a former Rocky Mtn Division Spec RX7 that races in IT7 with us in the mid west. He does okay but handling seems to be a real problem for his car and one of the bigger reasons why a fully prep'd car is faster. So suspension (springs, struts/shock, sway bars, wheel and tires) would be my focus were I in your shoes. Once you getter it driving right the rest of the mods will be easier to take advantage of

Welcome to IT7!

Marcus Miller
04-10-2006, 08:04 PM
David hit the list, but to make your conversion easier, you could buy my bent tub, with all of the parts you need :) One stop shopping! http://images.miller-motorsports.com/links/classifiedad.doc

Marcus

ggnagy
04-11-2006, 08:26 AM
Scott and David,

Thanks. Not sure exactly how soon I will begin making the switch, but sometime this summer. David should know that I sent in my letter, since I have only been advocating such a classification about as long as he has on the prod board.

Marcus,
I allready have a car.. plus a spare car with enough bits to build a second srx7 that I pulled off an old wrecked tub. I think I am set but thanks.

Edited in response to the edit:
David,
the cell is needed for the jump to the next level after this, and it's one of the items giving me the itch to move up.. that and wanting shaved consoles.

ddewhurst
04-11-2006, 10:17 PM
Greg, you are correct that the cell is required at the Production level. Makes no sense but required anyway. Hope the car is classed because then we will have a venue to play in an economical vehicle.

mustanghammer
04-11-2006, 11:36 PM
***What would, in general, be the kinds of things to start modifying in order to move up to IT7 ( with hopefully then to G-Prod. )***

Add welded S.B. (Scott bearings :P ) at all locations

[/b]

Scott Bearings! I blame Charlie Clark!

:happy204:

ddewhurst
04-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Honest Mr, Tech man, the bearings are Charlie&#39;s. B) Per the Tech man, naw Charlie has been around way to long to do something ILLEGAL that WE can see. :018: Im tellling ya Mr. Tech man the bearings are Charlie&#39;s. <_< Ahh, now I get it, You ain&#39;t paid your bill yet therefore the bearings belong to Charlie. :bash_1_:

mustanghammer
04-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Honest Mr, Tech man, the bearings are Charlie&#39;s. B) Per the Tech man, naw Charlie has been around way to long to do something ILLEGAL that WE can see. :018: Im tellling ya Mr. Tech man the bearings are Charlie&#39;s. <_< Ahh, now I get it, You ain&#39;t paid your bill yet therefore the bearings belong to Charlie. :bash_1_:
[/b]

Naw...I own my own "Scott Bearings" free and clear. They came with the car! I blame Charlie because the first thing he ever let me do on one of his IT cars was install SB&#39;s!

Later Gator