PDA

View Full Version : front bumper cover modification

rsx858
04-10-2006, 12:33 AM
I was just thinking of ways to get more air to my rad and oil cooler (2nd gen) and i thought why not cut away the middle portion of the bumper...? the lower peices that run across the opening? Havent seen anyone doing this just wondering if anyone else had considered it. i would run a splitter underneath it as well.
[attachmentid=387]

C. Ludwig
04-10-2006, 04:57 AM
It's not legal to hack up the bodywork.

steve s
04-10-2006, 07:16 AM
not legal.
the splitter would help.

wrankin
04-10-2006, 11:25 AM
but is it legal to hack the undertray to properly route air to the radiator?

Is it just me, or is the section on air dams (GCR 17.1.4.D.8.B) on of the most confusing in the book.

-bill

ddewhurst
04-10-2006, 01:51 PM
***i thought why not cut away the middle portion of the bumper...? ***

***It's not legal to hack up the bodywork.***

I hacked away on the bumper midle portion of my 1st gen RX-7 to get air to the oil & water radiators. Then I called the hacked bumper my air dam. :birra:

wrankin
04-10-2006, 02:24 PM
***i thought why not cut away the middle portion of the bumper...? ***

***It's not legal to hack up the bodywork.***

I hacked away on the bumper midle portion of my 1st gen RX-7 to get air to the oil & water radiators. Then I called the hacked bumper my air dam. :birra:
[/b]

Thanks, that's my point. I have a real question about what is allowed and the GCR seems a little bit contradictory:

A front spoiler/air dam is permitted
[/b]

versus later in the same paragraph:

Dealer installed or limiter production front/rear spoilers/air dams/wings are prohibited
[/b]

Which is it? What am I reading wrong?

Thanks,

-bill

rsx858
04-10-2006, 03:25 PM
yea i figured that since you are able to add a custom air damn following the specs in the gcr, why can i not make that airdamn myself in the stock cover. of course i would only consider modifying the front cover as thats the only place where we are allowed to make modifications

seckerich
04-10-2006, 05:15 PM
yea i figured that since you are able to add a custom air damn following the specs in the gcr, why can i not make that airdamn myself in the stock cover. of course i would only consider modifying the front cover as thats the only place where we are allowed to make modifications
[/b]
You can add to but not alter the nose/bumper of the car. You can cut the 2 allowed openings for brake ducts if none exist. I doubt you will find a rule to back up gutting the stock cover but have at it. If you win races you will lose the protest. The stock 89-91 nose is overdone with cooling stock. Get it ducted properly and get the oil cooler doing its job and you should never have a temp issue. Mine runs 200/200 even in 90-100 degree weather.

crispyrx7
05-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Matt,
In fact even looking at the pic of your car it is disputable if it's legal to remove the flash to pass lenses as you have done. They don't allow that in out region.
FWIW
Crispy