PDA

View Full Version : Paint VS Vynil

Racefreak24
04-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Whats cheaper paint or vynil for auto graphics? Specifically 8-10" racing stripes / 2 Single digit numbers & the letters ITS about 6' tall. Basically this picture I have attached.

Andy Bettencourt
04-07-2006, 11:05 PM
What are you running for tires? Have you seen these?

http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...?showtopic=7751 (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7751)

Looking good! Can't wait to see it at the school!

charrbq
04-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Whats cheaper paint or vynil for auto graphics? Specifically 8-10" racing stripes / 2 Single digit numbers & the letters ITS about 6' tall. Basically this picture I have attached.
[/b]
I suppose it's a matter of choice, but I find vinyl to be the best and easiest and (probably) cheapest way to go. I went to one of the many shops in town and got some ideas from their books...found something I liked...and they did the rest. I couldn't do that. I got vinyl tape in different widths for the stripes from my neighborhood Ace Hardware store. They have many, many colors for any ideas.

If is wasn't for racing incidents, and the idea behind ITC being "cheap", I'd love to go with a cool paint design. But that seems rather stupid on an '86 Honda Civic. :wacko:

joeg
04-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Even as a semi-decent painter, there is no question that Vinyl is better on a race rar.

RSTPerformance
04-08-2006, 05:46 PM
The large areas such as the stripes should be paint, the vinyl peals, bubles, fades, shrinks with heat, gets dirty and is not easily cleanable, is not nearly as glossy, much easier to scratch, etc. etc. etc.

The numbers and letters however should be vinyl, looks much sharper and cleaner, and you won't notice any small blemishes as much.

Paint scheme is for paint

numbers/letters are for vinyl.

We made the back half of our cars look like the german flag back in the day (how many people remember that look?). Anyway it was all made with Vinyl, and while it looked cool from a distance it wasn't a show car...

Raymond

C. Ludwig
04-09-2006, 06:48 PM
Good vinyl is expensive. It cost almost 3x what I paid to paint my car for the car length graphic and numbers. That said the graphics would of been very expensive to paint on. The great thing about vinyl is that the place that makes them for you should keep the CAD file they use to cut them. If you crash there's no need to try to recreate intricate paint work. When the bumper on my car caught fire and I had to repaint the rear quarter of one side all I had to do was go back to the shop and ask for the last 3 feet of the graphic. Matched it to what was good on the car and you can't even tell there was a problem.

charrbq
04-09-2006, 08:21 PM
WOW!! Your bumper caught on fire! I bet the corner workers had an interesting time calling that one in. I'm not making fun...I'm sure it was bad. It's been said by many, that if can happen, it will happen during racing, but burning bumpers is something I've never seen.

Racy-Stacey
04-30-2006, 05:34 PM
I recently got a quote for $300 for ea side for vynal. Yikes! So this is a topic I have to deal with also. For me and what I want to achieve I've decided to go with paint. and apply logos and lettering with vynal.

In fact I came to IT today looking for someone to let me use there paint booth.

When your on a super tight budget, you have to weigh costs.

Best of luck with your racing.

Racy-Stacey
ProbeTalk Racing