PDA

View Full Version : Another Noob Hot Lap Timer Question

Jeremy Billiel
04-07-2006, 07:32 PM
So I bought a hot lap timer and last time I tried it at LRP I couldn't get it to work. I think two things are the possible cause and please tell me what you think

1. I have mine mounted rather high on the roll cage just below the roof line on my front B pillar. Is this too high?

2. At LRP I had it on the passenger side (pit side) at NHIS I will need to put it on the driversside correct?

p99ro
04-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Hi
I mount mine on the passenger side and just switch direction. Try this first. Since your doing the school you will have time to try it. As long as you get a blip of a timeing light you should get it. Try adjusting the angle down a little. It is a broad beam but sometimes just moving the angle will help. Some times you don`t need a beam their is lots on track I don`t use one for that reson and would rather spend the monies somewhere else. For school just go. Timed laps will happen. You should be able to pick up 4 seconds by sunday. Look for the on track instuctors with the X on them and follow. Careful following just anyone. Food for thought. You can drive faster than you think.
Good luck. I won`t be up untill May. Uncle sam do a hit the wallet Again.
Scott CRX si 07 ITA NER

Eagle7
04-07-2006, 09:31 PM
I mount mine on the passenger side and just switch direction.
[/b]
Me too. I've got it mounted to the cage fairly low in the window at the passenger side A pillar. When the xmitter is on the left, I aim it through the car in front of the steering wheel and the net. Never had a problem.

gran racing
04-08-2006, 08:02 AM
When I first used my lap timer (a fairly similar version to hot lap) at LRP, I also experienced some issues. What I later found to be the issue was the height I set the beacon at on the side of the track - it was set too low. I then raised the tripod up higher and presto! The other thing (depending on the model you bought and its power source), the batteries need to be fresh. I use one set of batteries in it for a weekend then use them for something else.

mlytle
04-08-2006, 10:49 AM
So I bought a hot lap timer and last time I tried it at LRP I couldn't get it to work. I think two things are the possible cause and please tell me what you think

1. I have mine mounted rather high on the roll cage just below the roof line on my front B pillar. Is this too high?

2. At LRP I had it on the passenger side (pit side) at NHIS I will need to put it on the driversside correct?
[/b]

maybe this is a bit obvious, but you need to put the car reciever on the same side of the car that the your (or someone elses) trackside beacon is on.

should work fine high on a or b pillar, that is where mine is. just adjust the beacon height to match.

interesting comment made about battery life. i usually get an entire season of 10 weekends or so out of the car side battery and a couple weekends out of the beacon batteries (internal c-cell).

beacon model also makes a difference. on wide tracks the lower power one sometimes doesn't reach across.

lateapex911
04-08-2006, 11:19 AM
maybe this is a bit obvious, but you need to put the car reciever on the same side of the car that the your (or someone elses) trackside beacon is on.
[/b]

Interesting, that's in conflict with what others have said.

Mine is an AIM unit. I ran the wire to the center of the front top tube that crosses the windsheild, and I put two "Pads" on the top of the front downtube, one on each side of the car. Velcroed each one. I just swap the sides of the in car reciever when I go to a new track, and use wire ties to neaten the wire and one on the receiver as a safety.

I of course put it on the A pillar....bettter lap times than on the B pillar!

KIDDING....;)

mlytle
04-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Interesting, that's in conflict with what others have said.

Mine is an AIM unit. I ran the wire to the center of the front top tube that crosses the windsheild, and I put two "Pads" on the top of the front downtube, one on each side of the car. Velcroed each one. I just swap the sides of the in car reciever when I go to a new track, and use wire ties to neaten the wire and one on the receiver as a safety.

I of course put it on the A pillar....bettter lap times than on the B pillar!

KIDDING....;)
[/b]
got mine on the a-pillar for the same reason! :lol:

wasn't very clear in the opening post if the guy even had a beacon, or knew one was needed...it did say noob in the subj, so i didn't assume anything... B)

Jeremy Billiel
04-08-2006, 04:20 PM
I know you need a beacon!! It sounds like perhaps I just need to move my mount down a bit. Thanks guys.

mlytle
04-08-2006, 09:51 PM
I know you need a beacon!! It sounds like perhaps I just need to move my mount down a bit. Thanks guys.
[/b]
:lol: cool. i actually saw someone on a test day complaining their lap timer didn't work......they didn't have a beacon...... :bash_1_:

just got to make sure the rcvr and beacon are aimed at each other, there is a clear line of sight between the two, and you are within range of the beacon as you drive by. how high you mount it in the car is irrelevant. mine is at the top of the a-pillar in the current car and was up on the halo bar in my last car. both locations work fine.

lateapex911
04-09-2006, 01:19 PM
But higher is better, esp in traffic.

mlytle
04-09-2006, 03:27 PM
But higher is better, esp in traffic.
[/b]
yeah, especially in a luxo-barge bmw so it can see over those little rx7's and acura's.. :lol:

p99ro
04-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Uses up a Battery in 1 weekend. Maybe Dave is useing it with his car?
Save weight were you can and Jake you can pick up a 10th on Pillar D for Dutidoo. :P