PDA

View Full Version : Rx-7 ~ Cost

|_01_|
04-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Hi,

What would be the estimate cost of building an IT Rx-7. (Either IT-A or IT-S)

Thanx

Hotshoe
04-06-2006, 09:02 PM
I know of a first place IT7 car that is for sale. contact me @ 919-921-6050

...Rick Thompson

Speed Raycer
04-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Hi,

What would be the estimate cost of building an IT Rx-7. (Either IT-A or IT-S)

Thanx
[/b]
About double the cost of buying an already built car ;)

backformore
04-06-2006, 11:25 PM
Eric,

That is a hard question to answer as there are so many variables, most of which relate to how competitive you want to be, and what your skills and available facilities are. You will also hear a great deal of very valid and, I might add, good advice to buy a car rather than build one. It will be much cheaper, probably at least 1/2 the price.

With that being said, I will try to give a more specific answer to your question. I've got an excel spread sheet I've used to look at the cost of parts required to build various cars. For an ITS RX7 here are a few points of interest:

Minimum Equipment required by the rules (plus a few minor reliability items) $3000
This is basically a stock car with safety gear

Mid-pack, "bolt-on" performance parts (stock engine, transmission, diff) $8000

Max Performance (Pro engine, etc.) $18000

PLEASE NOTE: These are the minimum costs in each category. It ONLY represents the cost of parts, no labor! Oh yeah, it also doesn't include the cost of your donor but does assume your donor is a decent, good running car.

The real answer to how much does it cost to build is, "How much do you want to spend?"

I'm sure plenty of people will take issue with these numbers, but they are intended to give you an idea of the range of costs.

Marcus Miller
04-06-2006, 11:55 PM
It is a question of how much do you want to spend...
Here is another one for sale... ITs got the right parts, but needs work, and is cheap. Perfect mix. You get to "build" your own cars for pennies on the dollar.
http://images.miller-motorsports.com/links/classifiedad.doc

Marcus

RLEKUN17
04-07-2006, 08:21 AM
back for more is on the right track...but I'd add about another 20% to 40%....depending on if you already have a sound shell and engine....which is getting damn hard to find anymore. My guess just to get on the track:
$1000 to $1500 for base car relatively free of rust and with running engine
$ 750 to $1250 for cage
$ 500 for exhaust work (most on the street are coat hanger'd)
$ 500 for miscellaneous (fuel pump, fuel pressure reg, decals, fuel check set-up, etc., etc.)
$ 500 to 750 for tires (more plus wheels if you expect to race in the rain)
Plus your race gear...

If you go the approach of fulling building out the car with fuel cells expect to pay two to three times or more for what you could buy one already built. Look at my ad in the classifieds. I've got probably well over $20,000 in the car...selling it for $3500.

At the risk of :dead_horse: :dead_horse: :dead_horse:

Buy, don't build!

ddewhurst
04-07-2006, 09:28 AM
If I was in the market I would call Rick. :023:

tom_sprecher
04-07-2006, 10:33 AM
Tip #1

Do not build a car. Buy the best used racer and rig you can afford. I know you're thinking "well, I can't afford anything right now, but if I bought and worked on it a little at a time, I could get on the track over the long term." It will take much more time and money doing it that way than waiting and saving your money and buying used.

Tip #2

Do not build a car. Buy Rick's if he has his for sale. He rules IT7 in the SEDiv and has now for, what is it Rick, something like 5 years? What a minute, Rick, wadaya doing?

lateapex911
04-07-2006, 12:25 PM
Yea, work overtime...or even just extra hours...even babysit..unless you're making $7 bucks an hour, you'll be better off working more and saving than building.

And if you're making that kind of money, no offense, but you will be challenged to be able to make even one event...even if you live at home with Mom!

In other words, the car is just part of the budget. A race car is actually THREE vehicles to own, maintain and register! The car itself, the trailer and the tow vehicle. Heck, I used to drive much cooler cars on the street befor I started racing! Now I drive a damn truck!

Eagle7
04-07-2006, 12:34 PM
... Heck, I used to drive much cooler cars on the street befor I started racing! Now I drive a damn truck!
[/b]
I used to, but now I can't afford to put gas in the truck. So I got an ancient (91) Miata that uses less than half the gas. Wohoo! :cavallo:

ddewhurst
04-07-2006, 04:46 PM
***So I got an ancient (91) Miata that uses less than half the gas.***

Marty, the whole Spec Miata thing is not because of close competition it's because of the high price of gas. :wacko: When will the conversion start ? :cavallo:

Eagle7
04-07-2006, 09:19 PM
OK, David wants me to build another race car so: He can clean my clock
I can't afford tires for either one, and
I can't afford to drive to work
Sounds good.

Hotshoe
04-07-2006, 10:16 PM
What a minute, Rick, wadaya doing?
[/b]

Whoa Tom,

.... I don't think I could part with my car. I have spent so much time on building and racing my RX7 that I just enjoy the car more than anyone can imagine. Toughest car I have ever driven .... period. And if anyone thinks that their car is tougher .... Let's line'em up and see.

.... As far as the first place IT7 RX7 for sale, it is the car that I was a co driver in the last three years in the ECR Series. We just won two races @ VIR.

.... Rick Thompson
.... 2000,01,02,04,05 IT7 Champion

seattle7
04-08-2006, 01:33 AM
There is value to building your own car, espeically if you aren't a decent auto mechanic.

Many posts on this topic are too quick to discourage building your own car. For most of us, the reason we know about the cost differential is because we have built a car from the ground up, and smarter because of it. I'm a newb but I can (safely?) say most of you long-time IT racers have built a car, right? For a youthful, energetic person, building your first or second race car can be a valuable experience. I say, go ahead... as long as you understand: it WILL take longer to get racing, and it WILL cost more, perhaps double or more. But advantages include less money up front and a lot of gained experience if you're not familiar with working on cars. Have a plan and stick to it, and have fun.

Mike

Eagle7
04-08-2006, 08:17 AM
... For a youthful, energetic person, building your first or second race car can be a valuable experience. ...
[/b]
Valid point, but make it the second car, not the first. If someone hasn't been racing, there are so many things they'd likely do wrong on that first build.

tom_sprecher
04-08-2006, 10:33 AM
lateapex911 Posted Yesterday, 12:25 PM
"In other words, the car is just part of the budget. A race car is actually THREE vehicles to own, maintain and register! The car itself, the trailer and the tow vehicle. Heck, I used to drive much cooler cars on the street befor I started racing! Now I drive a damn truck!" [/b]

I feel your pain. When my last street car started to crap out I bought an F250 crew cab knowing that before too long I would be racing. The payments on that SOB are more than the first morgage I had, but I knew it would be worth it. It does force me to make it a dual purpose vehicle because there is no way I can afford another car no matter what the gas mileage is!

I agree with the fact that building your own car will teach you a thing or two about "mechanic'n" (old inside joke) but you'll be forced to do that no matter what your first car is. Unless you've got the bucks to have someone else do it for you. And if that's the case you probably aren't racing IT7 (ya freaking helmet toter)

Scott Nutter
04-08-2006, 09:05 PM
seatle7 :Right On!

There is no reason not to build your own car. Yes it will cost you more, unless you are buying someone else’s mistakes.

Buy a 'track/race' car, do basic modifications [make it safe] and take it to some track days. Yes those guys in their high powered cars might make you feel insignificant, but after a few times in your 'disposable' piece of junk and they can't get you out of their rear view mirror [that is of course if they are looking] you'll get their respect and an entry level car.

Costs will go up if you decide that you like this game we all play, but keep them within reason. Of course that is wide open depending on your income.

We just want to have fun at high speeds, testing our reflexes against our competitors.

Right?!?

Scott Nutter
04-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Eric,
I forgt to add that I have an Excel spreadsheet with my costs since 1999, I've tried to add all the misc. items like oils, seals, books, tools, and what not but I'm sure I've missed a few items.

Let me know if you would like a copy,
[email protected]

Spec racer Ford tires are great!!! and free

Boswoj
04-12-2006, 10:21 AM
There is value to building your own car, espeically if you aren't a decent auto mechanic.

Many posts on this topic are too quick to discourage building your own car. For most of us, the reason we know about the cost differential is because we have built a car from the ground up, and smarter because of it. I'm a newb but I can (safely?) say most of you long-time IT racers have built a car, right? For a youthful, energetic person, building your first or second race car can be a valuable experience. I say, go ahead... as long as you understand: it WILL take longer to get racing, and it WILL cost more, perhaps double or more. But advantages include less money up front and a lot of gained experience if you're not familiar with working on cars. Have a plan and stick to it, and have fun.

Mike
[/b]

A great concept, but of course almost completely untrue in the real world. By buying an already built and developed car at the prices we are seeing right now you actually save enough to get someone who really knows what they are doing to work on the car for at least a full season. That kind of person typically; A) teaches you a lot about the basic maintenece of the vehicle, and B) makes sure that you go out in a safer vehicle than your limited knowledge would allow you to bring to the track.

I'm lucky enough to have been fixing my own cars since I was a wee tot, yet one of the more valuable things I have spent my time on is developing relationships with perople who either build or race cars similar to mine. Let's face it - we might call what we do "racing" but it is really hours of working on cars puntuated by extremely short bursts of driving excitement. Even after buying a fully developed car, there is still so much work to maintain it and continue to develop it and make it safe that I doubt anyones automotive learning curve is going to be hindered in any way. If you buy the right car, you even get an opportunity to learn how it was done correctly instead of fumbling around with solutions that don't work of your own!

Oh, and lest I forget - the single best reason for buying a car that is race ready? You can spend that first year plus that you would be trying to build a racecar actually racing - developing what REALLY needs the work: the driver!

seattle7
04-12-2006, 10:34 PM
A great concept, but of course almost completely untrue in the real world.

(snip)

You can spend that first year plus that you would be trying to build a racecar actually racing - developing what REALLY needs the work: the driver!
[/b]

I totally agree about the driver needing most of the work, especially in my case :)
But I'm not sure what you mean by what is "almost completely untrue" about buidling your own car and learning from the experience. There is value, and my point is that posts on this topic rarely take into account at all. I didn't originally include the entire laundry list of the extra money, time, effort, and support it takes. It's obviously not a good idea to build if you are doing it all by yourself with your trusty Haynes manul to guide you along :wacko: - support is key, whether you are building or buying. Friends that work for beer help, too :)

jcmotorsports
04-17-2006, 03:39 PM
I can tell you that the driver is the most important part of the car. The best money spent is on track time and coaching!!!!!! That being said I can also tell you that the car is also important.
I spent well over $30K developing my RX7. I started with a street car and had a no expenses spared race car built professionally. After 3 seasons we have finally worked the bugs and gremlins out!!!!!! Just in time for me to move to an SSC car to run nationals. I can tell you it would be better to BUY a WELL DEVELOPED car in GOOD condition and save yourself some aggrevation and money. To buy a cheaper car with possible issues is not the way to go.
The money that you save by buying a GOOD car should then be spent on track time and coaching from a qualified coach!!!!!!!

Jim Susko
04-24-2006, 04:00 PM
I won't beat a dead horse because I think you've gotten some good advice here. But I know of a 79 in excellent shape and only some patches of surface rust that would be a great starter car if anyone is interested. I'd buy it myself but I own seven different vehicles already. Comes with dual webers, etc. I can supply the needed carb and manifold.

Jim Susko
[email protected]