PDA

View Full Version : OMNI GLH ITA

glhman222
04-05-2006, 04:02 PM
i am going buy an omni for ita but before i do i would like to know if i can remove the turbo it came with and run it like that or what

lateapex911
04-05-2006, 07:08 PM
No, unfortunatley you can't. The rules require that the car you race is the one listed on the spec line. That's the 2.2 normally aspirated version.

There is a clause in the rulebook that allows you to use whloe components from different cars that might be on the same spec line.

For example, if all years GLH are listed, and one year had a better transmission, you could use it, but only if you used it in it's entirety. So you couldn't use certain gears from one year and others from another to create an assembly that was never available.

The GLH turbo had different components all over the car, as I recall, so you'll really need to find a standard GLH.

If you don't have it yet, the SCCA GCR book is really going to be a huge help in making or buying a race car. Call SCCA and order yourself one if you don't have it.

Also, if this is your first racecar, and you really want the GLH, try to find one already built and logbooked. It will save you hundreds of hours and the cost will be easliy half what you would spend building one. Or think about another car for the class that's built. Of course, knowing the rulebook, or havig a mentor that does will help you get a legal car. Insist that the seller is clear on the cars legality, and if you can, get him to agree to some form of restitution should there be major issues. Again, if you have a friend already in the game, seek their advice.

Just a thought.

Speed Raycer
04-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Get in touch with Mike Glassburner... He runs an Omni in B and has played around in A as well. He posts on this site every once in a while mglassburner is his screen name IIRC

RacerBill
04-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Jaws: I race (if you can call it that) a Shelby Charger in ITA and I have a friend just north of Columbus who races a GLH in ITA. I have seen both two door and four door Omnis that dominate in ITB. One big advantage, there are a lot of parts cars!

glhman222
04-06-2006, 02:18 PM
thanks a lot for all your help but i cant seem to find mikes homepage can you please post it

Speed Raycer
04-06-2006, 04:04 PM
http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...p?showuser=1922 (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1922)

That should take you to his profile here on IT.com

I'll let him know to check here. I'll see him tomorrow.

trd77
04-06-2006, 10:17 PM
If I were you I would not do a GLH in ITA, you will not have a chance. You are far better off to go with a Omni or Horizon in ITB. They can be very competitive in B and are cheaper and more common than a GLH

glhman222
04-07-2006, 01:07 PM
are you sure about that, 15 inch wheels 9.1 comp, 5 speed light seems ok to me by the way im in the north east region

trd77
04-07-2006, 06:46 PM
I think you can run 15" wheels on an ITB with the new wheel rule, I do know you can use 14". You will have no chance in ITA against the CRXs and nissans. A regular omni has a strong motor for ITB, they are both 2.2 ltr and the regular omni weights slightly less than a glh

glhman222
04-07-2006, 07:10 PM
check your gcr the ita rule says quote 15 inch wheels

trd77
04-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Jaws, check your GCR, I believe it says on page ITCS-10, cars that came with 13" or 14" wheels may fit up to 15". Maybe I am reading this wrong. You could run and ITB omni with 15s and be very competitve or run the same car witha very slight compression increase and not have a chance in ITA. both the omni and glh have the same head and valve , bore and stroke, just a minor compression increase. I would rather have a 9.0 compression and run in ITB than have a 20 lb heavier glh and run in ITA dominated by hondas. The only other thing the glh offers is slighty larger brakes. However if you look at a normal omni, they are fairly large for the car and class. I am not trying to talk you out of a glh, I have owned a glh turbo, and a had a good buddy run a horizon and do well in be. He is a know it all with the omnis and has glhs ,and would not even consider running a glh. I would ask around to the people still running dodges

lateapex911
04-08-2006, 04:14 AM
OK, I understand you want to run A, and that's great. Just go into it knowing that the Dodge will be an uphill battle. I have a Mazda 7, and haven't had much trouble with any of the Dodges I have run into, but I get destroyed by the Honda camp.

It's up to you of course, but better to know now than to figure it out when it's too late.

glhman222
04-08-2006, 11:31 AM
yeah i guess your right but why cant they make some other cars as compeetitive as the hondas i mean you cant win unless u have a honda basicly and i dont think this class does a good job of making all the cars even but would the saturn SC@ be a good idea

trd77
04-08-2006, 01:38 PM
I have seen some good saturns run. I do think a saturn would be more competitive than a glh.

lateapex911
04-08-2006, 05:15 PM
yeah i guess your right but why cant they make some other cars as compeetitive as the hondas i mean you cant win unless u have a honda basicly and i dont think this class does a good job of making all the cars even but would the saturn SC@ be a good idea
[/b]

Disagree!
The changes made over the winter should make ITA THE most competitive class going.

Here are the cars with a real shot-

Honda CRX
Acura Integras
Nissan 240SX
Nissan NX2000
Mazda Miata 1.8 & 1.6
neon
Saturn
BMW 325e

Some are unproven ....so far. And there are others. ITA will rock.

And I guarantee the old 7 will get a few wins in the right hands ant the right tracks.