PDA

View Full Version : Rain Tires

Jeremy Billiel
04-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Going to NHIS in a couple of weeks and the likely hood of being there for 4 days with no rain is probably unlikely. With that said, I have been told that my Falken Azenis are crap. So what are you guys using? I have heard use full tread RA1's, but what will happen if the track begins to dry out? Won't the tires begin to chunk? I have also heard good things about the new Hoosier DOT rain tires, but they are like $200 a piece. Ouch!

Any suggestions?

gran racing
04-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Jeremy,
I use full tread Toyos also. To answer your chunking question, think about all of the people that use these tires (full tread) at HPDEs. Last year at NHIS it was lightly raining and I used the Toyos. Like you just mentioned, it dried out. (Should have used my drys!) Although they received some additional wear, they had no issues with chunking.

The other nice thing about these is that if they start to get old, use them at a HPDE or some other event. From what I understand about the Hoosiers is the track needs to be damp or they will chunk.

RSTPerformance
04-05-2006, 01:22 PM
The Hoosiers are the best for the rain, however they certainly will chunk if it dries up at all and the tires get any sort of heat into them. Basic rule is that the Hoosiers can't be beat if it is actually raining out, however if the track surface is just damp you are better off with something else like mentioned above.

Last years NARRC Runoffs gave us all a rude welcoming to an exception, however knowone could have really been prepaired for the weather/conditions we had that day. I still wonder how Autocross tires would have performed....

Raymond

zracre
04-05-2006, 01:25 PM
I ran full tread RA-1's at Sebring short in drying conditions...they worked flawlessly...I even set 3rd fastest lap at the end of the ITS ITA race when it was dry...they have not chunked and still remain good rains now (they didnt wear out completely) If it is a deluge...hoosier rains would be good if you are sure it will just rain all day.

joeg
04-05-2006, 02:40 PM
If you got the scratch (and right wheel sizes), just stick with Hoosiers--wet dry and intermediate.

Dirt Stockers for heavy rain or unshaved RADIAL WETS

The WET Radial (shaved) for intermediate conditions

The slick for dry.

They are simply the best. Everything else is a wannabe.

I use KUMHO Victoracers (old style) for intermediate conditions because I am not sure that Hoosier has the WET Radial out in all sizes yet. The Kumho is a fine substitute as would be a Toyo, but they are still "wannabes."

The only tire you can ruin in dry conditions is a Dirt Stocker.

Cheers.

Jeremy Billiel
04-05-2006, 02:46 PM
So it sounds like I need to dump my Azenis's and buy some RA1's for the best all around option.

JLawton
04-05-2006, 02:47 PM
I've run the fully treaded Kumho's for rains and they did very well. And if it dries out, not that big of a problem. If you have deep standing water the Dirt Stockeres are the way to go. I have heard the new Hoosier rain tire will be the tire to have in the wet......

Jeremy,
I wouldn't worry about having a super fast rain tire for the school. And don't worry about the race, the other ITS guys can't drive anyhow!! :lol: (I used to be on of them, so I can make fun of them!!)

Jeremy Billiel
04-05-2006, 03:26 PM
I am not worried about winning, as the driver has a lot to learn, but I also do not want to be a hazard...

RSTPerformance
04-05-2006, 04:13 PM
I am not worried about winning, as the driver has a lot to learn, but I also do not want to be a hazard...
[/b]

Just stay away from the Audi's and your all set!!! :wacko: Also feel free to block any Volvo's or VW's that might show up... :unsure: oh and Hitting a Honda always "wins you a prize." :cavallo:

Raymond "Sooooo Excited for the season to start!!!" Blethen

steve s
04-05-2006, 04:37 PM
try the kumho escta full thread for rain or dry works great better than the toyo wet or dry and last many heat cycles just like the toyos. priced pretty good.

Jeremy Billiel
04-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Just stay away from the Audi's and your all set!!! :wacko: Also feel free to block any Volvo's or VW's that might show up... :unsure: oh and Hitting a Honda always "wins you a prize." :cavallo:

Raymond "Sooooo Excited for the season to start!!!" Blethen
[/b]

Raymond - If ITB cars are catching me I really have issues!!! :D Just kidding!

I will be sure to hold up the Volvos and let the Audi drive right on by! :rolleyes:

Andy Bettencourt
04-05-2006, 07:43 PM
If you got the scratch (and right wheel sizes), just stick with Hoosiers--wet dry and intermediate.

Dirt Stockers for heavy rain or unshaved RADIAL WETS

The WET Radial (shaved) for intermediate conditions

The slick for dry.

They are simply the best. Everything else is a wannabe.

I use KUMHO Victoracers (old style) for intermediate conditions because I am not sure that Hoosier has the WET Radial out in all sizes yet. The Kumho is a fine substitute as would be a Toyo, but they are still "wannabes."

The only tire you can ruin in dry conditions is a Dirt Stocker.

Cheers. [/b]

The only thing I will disagree with in this post is about the drys. We have found the Goodyears to be the fastest dry tire, money no object. The GS-CS and now the RA are the best IMHO. Look to what the guys run at the runoffs on your type of car. RWD cars seem to really like the GY if they make your size. AS, T1, T2 are dominated on these tires.

The 205/50/15 RA set the Track record and fast lap at last years ARRC in SM amidst a Hoosier-fest.

I will be on RA's for drys and Radial Wets for rain.

m glassburner
04-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Who sells the goodyear r-dot ? ...I wonder if they make B) it in a 205-14 ??

joeg
04-06-2006, 09:07 AM
Size availability is a concern for the Goodyears.

gran racing
04-06-2006, 11:03 AM
Raymond - If ITB cars are catching me I really have issues!!! Just kidding! [/b]

Catching and passing. :o

I will be sure to hold up the Volvos and let the Audi drive right on by![/b]

Oooh, I see how it is! Sure, I'll be sure to help "fix" the car while you're at the school. Aren't you a Honda/Acrura driver? And you want to help those other cars? In your school, you'll be tested. Just remember the right answer is Yellow ITB Honda Prelude good, any other car bad. I knew I should have instructed at the school! We could have gone through some of the basics including your primary objective is to slow down those other evil ITB non-prelude cars. :D

This should be a fun year!

Jeremy Billiel
04-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Catching and passing. :o
Oooh, I see how it is! Sure, I'll be sure to help "fix" the car while you're at the school. Aren't you a Honda/Acrura driver? And you want to help those other cars? In your school, you'll be tested. Just remember the right answer is Yellow ITB Honda Prelude good, any other car bad. I knew I should have instructed at the school! We could have gone through some of the basics including your primary objective is to slow down those other evil ITB non-prelude cars. :D

This should be a fun year!
[/b]

Dave has a good point. Unless I want him to sabatoge my car in school I better let him by first.

Jeremy - Who has already been to school once, but wants to go back again for fun!

RSTPerformance
04-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Dave has a good point. Unless I want him to sabatoge my car in school I better let him by first.

Jeremy - Who has already been to school once, but wants to go back again for fun!
[/b]

We have some cool stuff also... :unsure:

Lots of Crew who have been with us for 10-20 years each (Thank you very much guys!!!) :happy204:
Scales (Loyal crew person ownes them, but is willing to help out those that are nice to us :happy204: )
Laser Alighnment tools (Again a loyal crew person ownes them, but is willing to help out those that are nice to us :happy204: )
Camber guage (Again a loyal crew person ownes them, but is willing to help out those that are nice to us :happy204: )
Lots of tools (Again a loyal crew person ownes them, but is willing to help out those that are nice to us :happy204: )

And a lot more... Crap we are dependant on our crew.... You better not offer them a clean shirt, we may loose them!!! :018:

Raymond "Yes Dave, I think this year will be fun beating you :dead_horse: " Blethen

Jeremy Billiel
04-06-2006, 08:49 PM
So I spoke to our local IT sponsor Phil and it looks as though RA1's are in my future. If anyone wants/needs times seriosly give Phil a call he is a great guy and another racer like us.

Phil gets :023: :023: from me!

charrbq
04-06-2006, 10:19 PM
I try to look at tires as not just a competitive asset, but a safety element, also. Don't just go for what will be okay in the rain and cheap, but what will help you go fast while saving your butt. That said, the R-1's or the Hoosier's would be my safe bet. B)

RSTPerformance
04-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Raymond - If ITB cars are catching me I really have issues!!! :D Just kidding!
[/b]

Jeremy-

I never saw you at NHIS??? where were you??? lol... I tried to catch you and put you a lap down... did I??? ;) (Sorry had to give you a little dig, welcome and congrats on your first race!!!)

Also as a FYI, my tire choice for Sundays race was a thought from outside the box... I think I made the best choice I could have... never be afraid to try something new!!!

The Conditions:
Thick cloud cover with a cold track and drizling rain, but the line was dry...

My Tire Choice:

Hoosier Dry tires in the front, and Hoosier Dirt Stockers in the rear.

PS: I was ~ 3 seconds a lap faster than my brother on the New Hooser Rains, and ~ 5 seconds a lap faster than any other ITB car. Finished 1st in class (ITB) and 5th overall against the ITS crowd (Total 25 cars qualified)

Jeremy Billiel
04-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Jeremy-

I never saw you at NHIS??? where were you??? lol... I tried to catch you and put you a lap down... did I??? ;) (Sorry had to give you a little dig, welcome and congrats on your first race!!!)
Also as a FYI, my tire choice for Sundays race was a thought from outside the box... I think I made the best choice I could have... never be afraid to try something new!!!

[/b]

I admit it you got me good! Yes you did lap me, but I was nice and moved over although I did enjoy pulling you up the hill going into the bowl before I backed out of the gas! :D

JLawton
04-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Raymond - If ITB cars are catching me I really have issues!!!
[/b]

One of these days Jeremy "foot in mouth" Billiel will learn to keep his mouth shut!! :lol:

dickita15
04-24-2006, 05:55 PM
One of these days Jeremy "foot in mouth" Billiel will learn to keep his mouth shut!! :lol:
[/b]

Better to keep silent and be thought a fool......

Jeremy Billiel
04-24-2006, 06:03 PM
You guys all don't know me well enough yet. I am always joking around and I can't be taken seriously. If you do then I am sorry! :happy204:

matt batson
04-27-2006, 01:18 PM
it' all good jeremy,
we have a good time ribbing each other on here...

You were passed by one of the fastest ITB cars in the country, so dont feel so bad B)

Doc Bro
04-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Jeremy,

You sound like my type of guy.....one who's humor doesn't lend itself to hunt and peck typing, and one who doesn't take himself too seriously.

Come buy and introduce yourself next race....we'll have a beer.

Oh yeah, and if you can't find me look for the spinning Z3.....I'll be the guy behind the wheel. :happy204:

R

JamesB
04-27-2006, 03:25 PM
just smile and wave as you go by?

Jeremy Billiel
04-27-2006, 04:00 PM
I am the rookie so I am still a little hesitant on how I act in front of people, but Rob you are right as I type and grin from ear to ear no one can see this through my PC. I will certainly stop by and say hi at LRP in June. :D

As far as being passed goes I was sooo slow I just pulled over and pointed Raymond by. Man I was a wuss in the race in the rain, but it was my first race and speed will come in time. Now if it was a dry race Raymond and I could have had a really good fight! :D

RSTPerformance
04-27-2006, 04:12 PM
Jeremy in the spirit of fun digs I shall continue... It was a "dry" race to me as I was on "dry" tires on the front!!! :cavallo:

but in reality, I think you will kick my but especialy in the dry. The conditions were definatly a great race for you to start on for experience in honing your driving skills!!! I love the rain, but I do have a long history of driving that includes the Mt Washington Hillclimb (partial dirt road with thousand foot drop offs and no guardrails) as well as ice racing. I have run the ITB car in both, the ice racing really taught me a lot in reguards to racing in the rain, certainly would suggest it to anyone wishing to improve their "rain" skills.

Stop bye anytime and visit us especially if you need help, I like your attitude!!!

Raymond