PDA

View Full Version : Helmet dealers in NY

nytoy
04-05-2006, 11:37 AM
I'm looking for a SA2000/2005 full faced helmet. The problem is I have limited space in my 2nd gen Rx7, so I need something thinner on the back side of the head and top of the head. I tried a Bell on and it was huge on the backside of the head when putting your back against a seat it made your head stick forward.

It seems there are no re-sellers that stock the SA rated helmets in Upstate, NY (Rochester) So I'm left ordering a few and paying a re-stocking fee if they dont fit right or trying to find some place with in an hours drive. I would like something with a wide and open eyeport for under $500, any suggestions would be great.

nytoy
04-11-2006, 09:43 AM
anyone?

seattle7
04-12-2006, 03:16 AM
This might not be what you want to hear, but I think you need to lower your seat. I have an ITS 2nd gen and yes, they don't have a lot of headroom. I'm 6'-2" with a long torso, and I fit (barely) with a Bell helmet (which I love). The key is the seat height, gotta get that sucker as low as possible. Another thing that helps: put a felt patch on the ceiling, like 12" x 12", get at McMaster-Carr. When the helmet makes slight contact you don't notice, and you don't scuff your lid.
I doubt helmet thicknesses vary enough to make much of a difference.

Mike

nytoy
04-12-2006, 08:58 AM
This might not be what you want to hear, but I think you need to lower your seat. I have an ITS 2nd gen and yes, they don't have a lot of headroom. I'm 6'-2" with a long torso, and I fit (barely) with a Bell helmet (which I love). The key is the seat height, gotta get that sucker as low as possible. Another thing that helps: put a felt patch on the ceiling, like 12" x 12", get at McMaster-Carr. When the helmet makes slight contact you don't notice, and you don't scuff your lid.
I doubt helmet thicknesses vary enough to make much of a difference.

Mike
[/b]

Yeah I figured on that, this is as low as I can physically get this seat with sliders, I need to retain the sliders and so far the factory adapted brackets are the only thing that will do. What style Bell do you have?

JohnRW
04-12-2006, 11:30 AM
You can get things lower by ditching the factory sliders and going to something like the some of the circle track guys use - total height off the floor - to the bottom of the aluminum seat - is about 1.5". I put a set in a Spec Miata two years ago, then sawed most of the foam off the bottom of the Kirkey seat cover. It's pretty low.

Google 'Coleman Machine' or 'Lefthander Racing', and search around a bit.

seattle7
04-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Yeah I figured on that, this is as low as I can physically get this seat with sliders, I need to retain the sliders and so far the factory adapted brackets are the only thing that will do. What style Bell do you have?
[/b]

My seat is a Sparco Evo 2, helmet is Bell X-15. I used the brackets that came with the seat. The back of the seat is basically touching the floor, the front about 1.5" of clearance.

JimLill
04-13-2006, 05:17 PM
did you check with Gary at TSX? Go to T-Shirt Express on University Avenue (near Gleason)