PDA

View Full Version : Compete in BMW Club Racing without the SIR!!

davidmcintyre
04-03-2006, 10:09 PM
[ This is a copy of a bulk email sent to all Club Racers ]

I am happy to announce a mid-season rules change, as allowed by the BMW CCA Club Racing Rules Process.

Page 20, Section 2 "SCCA Classifications" Paragraph F currently reads:

Competitors choosing to compete under SCCA rules must comply with all
that series' requirements (including restrictors, weight, etc).

As of Wednesday, April 3rd, this paragraph is changed to read:

Competitors choosing to compete under SCCA rules must comply
with all that series' requirements, except that any and all
mandated intake restrictions (including restrictor plates,
SIR devices, etc) may be removed. Cars must be run at the
mandated SCCA IT weight, except for those cars which have
an ITS weight specified in the table of chassis weights.

Additionally, a line is added to the Appendix D "Official Vehicle Specifications" :

ITS BMW E36 325i/is 1992-1995 (2 & 4dr) 2850 lbs

Interpretation: This allows E36 BMW's running under the SCCA ITS rules to compete with us in the appropriate Prepared class at the specified weight without the SIR or other intake restrictor. If SCCA / IT decides to change their specified weight for this chassis, the weight required to run under CCA CR stays at the number listed in our rulebook.

Cars running under SCCA ITS rules must meet every other aspect of the SCCA GCR exactly (there is no mixing and matching between CR and ITS car preparation rules).

Drivers running ITS cars at our races must me the BMW CCA CR guidelines for personal safety gear (including HANS, etc).

If you have friends that race E36s in ITS, let them know that they can race their cars in BMW CR without the dreaded SIR (or any horrific weight increase). We have a race at VIR in two weeks, and there might be enough time to get yourself a CR license!

Thanks, Dave

Harry Balszac
04-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Absolutely EXCELLENT news, David! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mlytle
04-03-2006, 10:26 PM
yee ha! see ya at the bmw club race at vir in two weeks!

RSTPerformance
04-03-2006, 11:39 PM
Wimps :cavallo: Sorry had to give ya a dig!!! lol

Ok for all those that didn't take offence to my joke... I am interested if anyone has given the SIR a try at an event and/or test day. If so what are your lap times as compaired to last year?

Thanks for the info...

Raymond

steve s
04-04-2006, 04:12 PM
what SIR?????? we are still waiting for raetech to send them out. great job SCCA ,
but even better job BMWCCA. :D

Knestis
04-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Let's do a little test to see how responsive BMWCCA really is: I'd like my VW Golf III classified please. How quickly can y'all get that done?

:P

Exactly - it's a lot simpler to deal with one marque, let alone different drive layouts, engine configurations, body types, etc., etc., etc. Not a dig - just the reality of the situation. BMWCCA would be stupid to not position their program in this way, just like they would write the rules to require the SIR and/or additional ballast if it looked like it would make their program more attractive to potential racers.

More power to 'em.

K