PDA

View Full Version : POCONO !!

RSTPerformance
04-03-2006, 08:23 AM
For all those that have to travel to POCONO you should check out the schedule... you can leave early on Sunday if you don't want to do the Enuduro! I'm not totally sure if I like this since all it did was cut down on my track time but the ENTRY FEE IS LESS! Yahoo how often does that happen! I do on the other hand like the idea of the enduro being on Sunday afternoon. It will be awesome to be done and on our way out in the afternoon VS leaving at night.

What do others think? Will this help the struggling entries at POCONO? in other words what will it take to get you to go :)

Stephen

Supps and schedule...
http://www.nescca.com/registration/Supps/06-RS-163-P.pdf

Entries...
http://www.nescca.com/registration/current...p?ID=38604354#3 (http://www.nescca.com/registration/currentcount.asp?ID=38604354#3)

Andy Bettencourt
04-03-2006, 08:43 AM
Couple of beefs:

1. The run groups for IT seem a little weird. ITS, ITA, ITC and SM all together? That is 47+ cars from last year. Seems like a few run groups will be real light in comparision (Bet G3 has less than 30)

2. Mother's Day Weekend. Yikes!

3. NARRC reps need to be there. Last year, there was nobody separating who was on Toyo's for NARRC and who was 'open' for NYSRRC (for SM). Hope it happens.

Positives:

1. Grid position based on finish of Saturday. I like this to mix it up.

2. Big points paying opportunity.

Net/net? I was the first to register (because the only XMas present I asked for this year was permission to go...Mother's day REAL important in my house...)

AB

zchris
04-03-2006, 10:22 AM
Getting poeple to Pocono is never easy as it is not really a road course. It is a double drag strip connected by a autocross course. Great if you want to find who has the best straight line speed. 1 corner coming off the front straight that you can carry any speed and if you have an off track adventure, you will probably do major damage. I go there only when desperate for points. But, one mans trash is anothers treasure. Take care, stay on the pavement, and most importantly, have fun.
Chris

RSTPerformance
04-03-2006, 11:02 AM
But, one mans trash is anothers treasure.
Chris
[/b]

I wish they ran the course that uses both infeilds. that set-up is probably one of my favorates out of all the tracks I have run at. Not sure if you have ever been to LRP or NHIS but I would say that the POCONO course they are running is maybe better than both those tracks but certainly not better than the other purpose built road courses like Tremblant, Road Atlanta, Mid ohio, Watkins glen long course (the NASCAR course is probably the most boring course for an ITB car, 1 real braking zone the rest is yaawwwnnn.) Anyway the thing I like about POCONO is the Draft effect. you can really play games and use strategy out there unlike other tracks since you have 2 drafting opportunities every lap.

Stephen,

PS: ya I know what you mean about falling off the track :o I did that a few years ack and put the strut up through the hood :bash_1_:

benspeed
04-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Pocono will rock this year! There will be a serious party on Saturday night celebrating Linda and Joe and their time as SCCA members.

The group 5 thing - yup looks like it could be packed. If needed we can switch a class to group 3 but the track will accomodate 63 cars - we might have that in group 5.

WE NEED IT Cars for the enduro - c'mon Blethens. I'll buy you extra beers on Sat to race the enduro Sunday!!! We will need something like 40 cars.

I want to see if Andy has the nuts to run the enduro... :cavallo:

Cheers,

Ben

Andy Bettencourt
04-03-2006, 07:00 PM
I want to see if Andy has the nuts to run the enduro... :cavallo:

Cheers,

Ben [/b]

No with a 4.88 and a Pro Motor!!!

You provide the car, I will provide a faster lap than you. :P

AB

benspeed
04-04-2006, 09:12 AM

AB
[/b]

You bring a trailer with an extra space and we can bring my ITS car and share it for the enduro - then I'll show you the faster lap! Just swing by - I'm only 10 minutes off route 80.

Now that would be a hoot!

RSTPerformance
04-04-2006, 10:45 AM
No with a 4.88 and a Pro Motor!!!

AB
[/b]

Andy-

If thier wasn't a limit of 2 drivers per team I might bet you the entry fee on our lap times....

That 2 driver limit brings up a question... I will post it over on the endurance thread thugh!!!

Raymond

erlrich
04-04-2006, 10:50 AM
I wish they ran the course that uses both infeilds. that set-up is probably one of my favorates out of all the tracks I have run at. [/b]

Stephen - if you like that course, EMRA is doing a 1-hour enduro in August that I'm 98% sure runs that configuration. I'm going to try to get up there for that one. Unfortunately, the NESCCA race is the same weekend as the MARRS double at VIR, so there will probably be few drivers heading up there from points south.

PS: ya I know what you mean about falling off the track :o I did that a few years back and put the strut up through the hood :bash_1_: [/b]

Man, there are places in the infield at Pocono that look like the surface of the moon. :o I wouldn't want to go out there in anything less than a Hummer.

benspeed
04-06-2006, 01:40 PM
I was running at Pocono in the rain on a new set of Hoosiers. Had a ton of grip and was really flying. Came off the straight and hit a huge puddle. As I drifted towards the edge of the track I though, "well, looks pretty flat right here...." Went off and went airborne about 3 feet in the air, came down and smashed hard. Motor fired right up. Drove to the pits. Shouldn't have done that. Radiotor was toasted and the engine fried that fast.

I saw a Viper catch about 6 feet of air at Pocono also. That ground is not flat out there!

Matt Rowe
04-06-2006, 10:32 PM
The flatness of the ground isn't the only problem if you take a scenic tour of Pocono. Those NASCAR fans level all sorts of trash in the infield parking. The biggest piece I've seen is a AC unit out of a motorhome. Now imagine hitting that at speed. Now your trusty corner workers do try to round up the larger stuff in the hot areas but they don't pay us enough (any) to clean up the track. So as always the best plan is to stay on the black stuff. :D

ShelbyRacer
04-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Oh, I don't know, I've found a few spots that you can get an IT car across the green stuff and not suffer too much... :rolleyes: Besides, I picked up a few MPH on the banking by "greening up" the exit of the chicane slightly... :023: