PDA

View Full Version : Radiator install

Campbell
04-02-2006, 08:24 PM
I am putting a Golf radiator into my A1 Scirocco (it is 7 inches longer). I will have to make some new fasteners to hold it in, are there any basics to watch out for so the radiator doesn't fail/break prematurely. thanks

Knestis
04-02-2006, 09:36 PM
I would strongly encourage you to mount the new radiator using the same supporting points and hardware as the original. Some German engineers spent a lot of time and money figuring out how to give it enoug support without putting vibrations into it, mounting it too stiffly, or putting a load on some point not designed to support it.

K

Campbell
04-03-2006, 02:38 PM
K,

That's what I thought too.. I wish I could mount it with the same hardware but the radiator doesn't fit like the original due to its extended length. I will try to fasten it like the OEM.

thanks

psykokid
04-03-2006, 03:48 PM
K,

That's what I thought too.. I wish I could mount it with the same hardware but the radiator doesn't fit like the original due to its extended length. I will try to fasten it like the OEM.

thanks
[/b]

there are recesses (holes) in the rad support for the pins from the later rads. MK1's with AC came with a bigger radiatior than the standard mk1's did. If your car is a earlier build where they didnt have the provisions for the holes just drill a small hole the same size as the stock one and space it appropriately. Then just move the hold down clip down the appropriate amount and secure it appropriately.

Knestis
04-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Thanks for clarifying, Psyko. When I said "mounting points" I meant on the radiator. Just duplicate the OE type of mounts in new locations and you're golden.

K